donofriojim1

Cincinnati palms part 4

donofriojim1

For my next post, I want to highlight some of the palms that I've come across in the Cincinnati suburbs outside of the ones in my yard. The first picture is of a windmill palm (trachycapus fortunei) on the eastern side of town. According to the grower, this specimen has endured three winters in the ground with minimal protective measures. His protection for this palm is only a heating cable around the trunk and a frost cloth. This picture was taken in late spring, 2019. It had completely defoliated during January,2019 when temps did drop below zero. The palm started to rebound very quickly. The second picture is the same palm this spring shared to me by the grower with the heating cable still on the trunk and a fully recovered crown.

The next several pictures are from a grower just a stones' throw away from me in the northern Cincinnati suburbs. This grower has some truly wonderful exotics that most nursery staff would say are a waste of time and money in his yard that have proven to be as reliable as tulips simply from protection for wind, placing in the sunniest spots, and extra mulch. The first of these pictures from his yard is a rare true trachycarpus takil that he raised for seed. It has also been in the ground for three years and is only protected by being covered with a mound of straw, no added heat. The other pictures are winter time pictures of his needle palm and sabal minor, He unlike me, does take some protective measures. His protective measures are just covering the trunk of the plant with straw while leaving all leaves exposed. these needle palms and sabal minor have been in the ground since 2006 and laughed off the vortex years.

t fortunei spring 2019.jpg

t fortunei spring 2020.jpg

trachy takil.jpg

hamilton co sabal.jpg

hamilton co needle palm winter 1.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

LouisvillePalmer
On 4/21/2020 at 8:50 PM, donofriojim1 said:

The first picture is of a windmill palm (trachycapus fortunei) on the eastern side of town. According to the grower, this specimen has endured three winters in the ground with minimal protective measures. His protection for this palm is only a heating cable around the trunk and a frost cloth. 

t fortunei spring 2019.jpg

t fortunei spring 2020.jpg

This is beyond cool. So he put it in the ground 3 years ago, how old was the palm at that point?

climate change virginia

That palm is tall how old is it?

donofriojim1

The pal was bought at that time with about 4 1/2 feet of trunk. I'm not sure how old that would make it

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• kbob11
      By kbob11
      Hi everyone,
         The weather is finally going to warm up a little starting next week.  My question is does anyone have experience with Needles consistently experiencing night time lows in the upper 20s?  I know that they can survive well below that for absolute lows but how about in and out of freezes?  I would like to air mine out as it has been covered in leaves and boxed since Thanksgiving.  Below is our extended forecast.  Thanks!

• donofriojim1
      By donofriojim1
      Here is a small update on some of my palms that I have been growing here in Cincinnati ( zone 6b) WITHOUT any protection whatsoever. Unlike parts of Texas that saw below zero temperatures, We in Cincinnati experienced a low of 3 degrees Fahrenheit.  These are just some of my palms as of yesterday now that the thaw has begun. The large needle palm was a palm that I salvaged from a restaurant along the Ohio river just outside of downtown Cincinnati last September that had been growing in a median in the parking lot totally unprotected and fully exposed to the elements since 2009. I will be posting more updates on my other palms and exotica later.

• Palm Lord
      By Palm Lord
      I was wondering if anyone has a good success story with growing Majesty Palm Trees in Zone 7. I decided to find out here. I live in the Chaussee neighborhood on Cedar Point which is an Island 2 kilometers north of Sandusky, Ohio's Battery Park Marina. All the USDA hardiness zone maps online say it is 6b or 7a but when I look where they collect the data I see it comes from the mainland. When I look at the weather it gives me Sandusky weather which is colder during the winter and warmer during the summer. Cedar Point, being an island surrounded by water, is a little different than the mainland. So of course that is a little inaccurate. This summer, I met a man named Tom who says he has been recording the temperature on Cedar Point for over 40 years and it hasn't got below five. USDA hardiness zone is calculated and determined by taking the average minimum low temperature over the course of 30 years. If the average minimum low was 5 degrees Fahrenheit it would be 7b. But that was for lowest temperature ever recorded. That wasn't even the average! I decided to experiment by planting Majesty Palms and seeing how they do seems how all my neighbors have some. Almost all of them are okay but I have one majesty palm that had some problems. I am trying to revive it but I'm pretty sure it is going to die. As usual, the Majesty Palm leaves all died but new green Spears push out during the Spring. There are new green Spears coming out of many of my Majesty Palms but a lot of them are doing spear pull. Some of them lived though. That is enough to keep me going. I will continue experimenting with palm trees. But yes, I just wanted to know if anybody else has Majesty Palms in zone 7 or zone 8? Cheers!
    • kbob11
      By kbob11
      Currently 5f outside with a low of 1 tonight and -15f windchill.  Palm is chilly but I’m able to keep the air temps in the box above 20f and the ground is unfrozen.  Coldest weather since trying my winter methods.
      P.s. first 2 pictures from last year as I am keeping box sealed