donofriojim1

Cincinnati palms part 2

donofriojim1

In my previous post, I shared some pictures of some established needle palms that were planted at a Cincinnati restaurant in about 2009 that never get any special protection of any kind. Here are some pictures that were taken by another local palm enthusiast and shared with me. These pics show the needle palms during the freeze of January, 2019.

20200313_150355.jpg

20200313_150423.jpg

20200313_150434.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

kinzyjr

@donofriojim1 Thank you for sharing!  It's great to see the planting range of our native palms expanded!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Silas_Sancona

Agree w/ Kinsyjr... Not something i'd have expected to see up that way.. Lived on the east side of the 275 ( Milford/ Mulberry area )  for roughly 6 years, and worked / frequently traveled through areas east of a line extending from Downtown, up to Forest Park often. Also had extended family who lived just south of downtown in Covington (KY) at that time.

• Upvote 2

Allen

Nice I have 6 of these now.

• Like 1

AndyMac7

Very cool, however, I'm always wondering if people mistake needle palms for Yucca. Honestly, they can look so bushy, they can almost look like grass. If I ever plant one here, I think I would try and keep it very trimmed at the base for more of a "palmy" look. Although, as I understand, that can reduce their hardiness by uncovering the ground a bit. I suppose that's what mulch is for :). 

PalmTreeDude
15 minutes ago, AndyMac7 said:

Very cool, however, I'm always wondering if people mistake needle palms for Yucca. Honestly, they can look so bushy, they can almost look like grass. If I ever plant one here, I think I would try and keep it very trimmed at the base for more of a "palmy" look. Although, as I understand, that can reduce their hardiness by uncovering the ground a bit. I suppose that's what mulch is for :). 

Trimming green palm fronds causes palms to not get as many nutrients as they should, which can result in them growing slower and thinner. They actually get a palm appearance when they get bigger. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude
Typo

AndyMac7
53 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Trimming green palm fronds causes palms to not get as many nutrients as they should, which can result in them growing slower and thinner. They actually get a palm appearance when they get bigger. 

Ahh, well good point @PalmTreeDude, I know that you're not supposed to trim the green ones, but I'm saying when they start wilting and you have plenty of crown it shouldn't hinder them. Just not a fan of the super "bushy" look, that's all.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• D Palm
      By D Palm
      I live in N Florida in between Lake City, Fl and Jacksonville, Fl. I planted this Royal behind my red shed last summer. It took some leaf damage but had since put out a new spear this spring. I clipped the fronds and moved it to a sunny spot. The root ball has grown about 3x the size and I plan on moving it close to the south side facing part of my house to help protect it more. I mulched  the base for winter and threw a blanket over it a couple of times. I travel for work so most of the time these palms are not protected.  The only spear pull I had were the queens but they are all nicely recovering and everything is very thirsty waiting for summer rains.

• donofriojim1
      By donofriojim1
      Not palm related but I have this in my palm garden. This in my Eucalyptus Neglecta. It is a little over 6 feet tall. I planted it in march,2020 as a 3ft tree from Plant Delights nursery. It has never been protected other than good sighting.  It was un phased by a winter low of 4 degrees Fahrenheit and two weeks below freezing during the arctic blast last February. Cincinnati zone 6b.

• donofriojim1
      By donofriojim1
      I planted a new sabal minor "mc curtain" in my Cincinnati zone 6b yard. I received this from and acquaintance in Wichita, Ks whos aid that this plant survived their brutal winter freeze in an un heated greenhouse in a pot! Hopefully it will be happy in my yard. Sabal minor " Mc Curtain" doesn't seem to have issues here. 

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Last evening my son and daughter-in-law took me out for an early Mother's Day dinner at Bonefish Grill in Cape Coral. While we waited outside for our table to be ready I noticed a solitary Chamaerops planted near the entrance. It was 6-7' tall and perfectly grown with bluish leaves and prominent gold spines. Chamaerops grow well here but are not often planted because most people prefer more tropical looking palms. But I would plant one like this in a heartbeat.
      Chamaerops humilis solitaire, Bonefish Grill, Cape Coral, FL

• teddytn
      By teddytn
      I remember seeing pictures of needle palms with a vertical solitary trunk and no lower fronds a long time ago. People were calling it a Bull needle. I’ve always been familiar with the “normal” clumping form which seems to grow wider with offsets as fast as it grows tall. I have one that’s been slow to grow period and only has a few small pups, but I don’t think is a “bull”. One normal clumping form and a small new clumping form. What’s everyone’s experience with the 2 different types? Let’s see them!!!