IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cold Hardy Palms near Birmingham AL

jq5446

Hello everyone. I’m new to collecting palms, and very excited. As their aesthetic has always greeted me with a joy like nothing else.

I live about 25 miles north of Birmingham, Alabama. As of today, the only palm/cyad I have purchased is a small Sago palm. I believe I’m going to let it mature in a planter for a couple of years, bring it in on the very cold nights. And then if I get the courage, I may plant it, and protect it in the winter with lights and burlap as I believe I’ve read here before. 

Where I live has not had many cold winters lately. I wonder when zones will be updated, and if we’re on the verge of being in 8a. I do recall 2018 did have a few cold days. 2011 also brought some snow that stuck around a few days, but since then we’ve not had had any that stayed more than a few hours, and that was very seldom.

Does anyone have any palm suggestions for a beginner to try and plant around this area? 

Hi, I'm in Alabama too, but farther south in Mobile. 

Sago is one tough cycad. A neighbor down the street offered me pups off of a large one he had just brought home. I took a sharp shovel and sliced off a few, but stopped because I figured I was only causing damage. I stuck them in the ground under the shade of a big live oak and went North for a few months. When I returned, the sagos were fine and putting on a few new leaves. Someone told me, "You can just toss pups into the woods and they'll grow." I think that's an exaggeration, but they certainly thrive on a fair amount of neglect. If you can get your hands on a few pups to propagate, you'll have some backup insurance.

Needle Palm (Raphidophyllum  hystrix) comes to mind as a palm to try. They like the Alabama heat. 

On 4/19/2020 at 5:00 PM, jq5446 said:

Hello everyone. I’m new to collecting palms, and very excited. As their aesthetic has always greeted me with a joy like nothing else.

I live about 25 miles north of Birmingham, Alabama. As of today, the only palm/cyad I have purchased is a small Sago palm. I believe I’m going to let it mature in a planter for a couple of years, bring it in on the very cold nights. And then if I get the courage, I may plant it, and protect it in the winter with lights and burlap as I believe I’ve read here before. 

Where I live has not had many cold winters lately. I wonder when zones will be updated, and if we’re on the verge of being in 8a. I do recall 2018 did have a few cold days. 2011 also brought some snow that stuck around a few days, but since then we’ve not had had any that stayed more than a few hours, and that was very seldom.

Does anyone have any palm suggestions for a beginner to try and plant around this area? 

Welcome to the forums!  Sabal minor 'Cherokee' is the new champion on the block for cold tolerance in native habitat.  You can find them growing in the Weiss Lake area of Alabama and they should handle your climate without issues when mature.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Sabal Minor (Varieties range in size from 18" to 6'), Sabal Birmingham (duh), needle palm, Sabal brazoria.  These are palms which will live with no or minor protection for you.   Palms you can try that may need protection to survive include Sabal Louisiana, Trachycarpus Fortunei (Staple to any cold hardy garden), Trachycarpus Wagnerianus,  Sabal Palmetto.  These are all palms I have planted in 7a.  The last 2 years these have required no protection where I live but I covered the Trachy because I travel some and can't cover them if the temp unexpectedly drops.  Also you can grow many other tropical plants that will come back each year as well.  Here is a pic of my 7a backyard from last year.  You can also pot up other palms and bring them inside during cold snaps.  My mule palm can handle outside here for most of the winter in a pot.  

IMG_1548.jpg

Edited by Allen
  • Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Hey @jq5446 I am about 35 miles SOUTH of Bham. 

Roughly a quarter of the way into 8a. 

There are plenty of palms to choose from for your area I think you'll enjoy.

I forgot the poster was in 7b.  probably most of the palms I listed need little protection except in extra cold years except Sabal Palmetto and the rare times on the Trachy.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Well, this may be too obvious, but I'd say its probably worth trying to get your hands on the famous Sabal Birmingham!!
B) 

• Like 1