IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Weather you ran from —Screaming

DoomsDave

Howdy all

my good friend on Ohio from my ancient high school days sent this to me

today April 17 2020

show us weather you ran from or tolerate anyway ....

345C4AD3-0AA8-48C7-807A-3AF8D511D707.thumb.jpeg.360a58b8e403cc1109274e56b8b65bdc.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

October 1st, 2002: At the time, I lived near the top of the mountains near Johnstown, PA.  I had already been to Florida that March and had a few months until school was finished.  I had my choice of going to the I-4 corridor of Central Florida or Anaheim, CA.  It was a reasonably nice fall up to that point.  70's during the day and high 40s or low 50s at night.  The day before the ice storm, I was driving to my first morning class and the radio was telling everyone to bundle up.  It was ~70F at 9am when I walked into the building to attend class.  When I came out, there was snow and sleet flying through the air and everyone was running back to their dorms to change.  The mix turned to ice, took a bunch of trees down and the power in my area was out for 3 days.  Couldn't get to class, but they had cancelled one of the days anyways.  The day I was leaving for Florida, it snowed 16 inches overnight.  Definitely time to get out of town...

Winter in Oct2k2 back.jpg

Winter in Oct2k2 front.jpg

Winter2003_9.jpg

• Like 4

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

My brother and his family (wife, 2 toddlers) had just moved to Greensboro, NC in August 2018, from San Diego.

It seems that following winter was record breaking.  He said he couldn't leave his house due to the snow. 

Ironically, that winter storm was named Diego....

Screenshot_20200417-193212_Chrome.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

This was the last pic I took in New England loading the last hot rod up for the last trip to FL.  Parking lot was black ice and that's as far up the ramp the car would go before the wheels started spinning. So I backed the car up, hit the ramp at way above comfortable speed for such a narrow opening on ice and then slammed the brakes on once in the trailer. Climbed out the window, locked up the trailer and headed South. Haven't seen snow since and don't plan on it.

66Mustang.jpg

• Like 5

Paraphrased transcript from a January phone call from family members:

Them: Hey, good to hear your voice again!  How's everything down there?

Me: Oh, it's going alright.  I was just outside putting some new plants in the ground.  Taking a break right now.

Them: Oh no plants up here.  It's -20F out, wind blowing 30-40MPH and we're supposed to get 2 feet of snow overnight.  So when are you moving back?

Me: You really need to take a marketing class...

• Like 5

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

Florida is a warm place we thought...

We will never see snow again we thought...

We will put our coats in the closet and never need them we thought...

What happened when we moved to Florida in 2017?

It snowed twice that winter and the feels like temps were in the single digits....

What a warm place right? Lol

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

41 minutes ago, JLM said:

Florida is a warm place we thought...

We will never see snow again we thought...

We will put our coats in the closet and never need them we thought...

What happened when we moved to Florida in 2017?

It snowed twice that winter and the feels like temps were in the single digits....

What a warm place right? Lol

Reminds me of the first time I came down here in March of 2002.  I'm thinking, yep going to be 80 the whole time.  Well, I wasn't in Lakeland - I was in an outlying area.  Instead of the 37F that Lakeland recorded (see graphic), it was 33F with frost!

200203010000_KLAL.png

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

We don't get a lot of snow here, but we do get frosts and freezing, an occasional dusting and every 6 to 10 years we get DUMPED on! Most years aren't terrible but the last few winters prior to this one have had unusually cold lows. 

I have wanted to escape since I was a kid to Florida, wife won't leave and I doubt she will at retirement. I finally started telling her over 10 years ago that when I retire I'm leaving for Florida with or without her. 55 to 60 years here will be 55 to 60 years too long and if she doesn't understand that I put my time in and lived my life here longer than I wanted for her then I'll go alone. Kinda sucks as that means whatever garden I get with my place there I'll have to mostly live with as I'll be too old to to really start anything from scratch. I envy y'all and your being able to escape...

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Just had a possible tornado hit less than a mile from me. Fence is down and had pea sized hail. This happened about 2 hours ago. Ive been hearing about people being trapped in homes just southeast of me with teees down everywhere in this part of the county.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

2 hours ago, JLM said:

Just had a possible tornado hit less than a mile from me. Fence is down and had pea sized hail. This happened about 2 hours ago. Ive been hearing about people being trapped in homes just southeast of me with teees down everywhere in this part of the county.

Glad you are OK and hope nothing else is damaged.  The radar in your area at the time looked pretty nasty.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

@kinzyjr

According to NWS trees are down almost everywhere in my area. Further investigation this morning found that nothing else was damaged! It was pretty scary to be honest, the lights were on and off flickering and all while it was blowing over. I was outside to try to see a possible funnel when i heard the sound, got inside in my safe spot and rode it out in my hallway. Im a weather and palm nut so i was watching the storm that did it all the way from Louisiana yesterday. Just to think we have more of the same possible on Wednesday.

• Like 1

Here are some temperatures from January of 1994 in Johnstown, PA (highs in green, lows in red) :

199401150000_JohnstownPA.png

Lakeland, FL