IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Howdy do, Houailou?

DoomsDave

My Chambeyronea Houailou threw a new leaf to herald the day of sunshine

2F521266-7598-4857-A043-E9353C89B730.thumb.jpeg.0230db35174ffc665334383c419c7640.jpeg

41293DD7-1A8B-4418-AEE6-3BA4CF8B7065.thumb.jpeg.3e1b625fcf1f1eb31391aee2f8c6b849.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Aren’t they great palms?  Another one of my favorites.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

On 4/15/2020 at 8:01 AM, DoomsDave said:

My Chambeyronea Houailou threw a new leaf to herald the day of sunshine

2F521266-7598-4857-A043-E9353C89B730.thumb.jpeg.0230db35174ffc665334383c419c7640.jpeg

41293DD7-1A8B-4418-AEE6-3BA4CF8B7065.thumb.jpeg.3e1b625fcf1f1eb31391aee2f8c6b849.jpeg

Me loves it. :wub:

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

4 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Me loves it. :wub:

Me too! I've got two of them.

They're slow here, though I've got some babies coming along.

This one is finally putting out pretty new leaves. The other one hasn't started yet, still plain green.

• Like 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here’s the aforementioned smaller specimen 

3645D89F-8FAE-4CC0-AF82-C0AAAF178B76.thumb.jpeg.e0802986c450883eaa7dfc4dcde8a96f.jpeg

• Like 5

Here’s some shots of the one in the first pictures full Monty as they say.

It’s about six feet overall.

0894227F-03EE-42E3-922F-826397DC9CE6.thumb.jpeg.6f114c95312bb75fb4ee2c091e66144c.jpeg

78314DA4-BC22-4AE0-93B7-C823F35A4447.thumb.jpeg.0d0e3ae33be32abcce0e435e661b8174.jpeg

• Like 5

And a wholly gratuitous shot of a hookeri family 2691EC6D-C6B2-4F45-A090-BEB09891900C.thumb.jpeg.2124dc31d2e4e6dd230119c196850b7f.jpegright nearby

• Like 6

Oh yeah...I love C houailou!  My oldest one is from Jerry Anderson.  He had it in his greenhouse when he was in Fallbrook.  It took several years to acclimate and shrank A LOT but is looking really good now.  Pic is of my oldest one and newest one (front palm) that will be planted next to it.  

IMG_3040.JPG

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

18 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

The other one hasn't started yet, still plain green.

Dave you are underselling it.  Look at the bluish tint to that newest leaf which is part of the charm of this variant of Chambeyronia.  While it may not be showing any pink tints yet when throwing a new frond, it still has a different color than you would see on hookeri, and completely different than the deep green of a "regular" macrocarpa leaf which starts out with the classic "flame thrower" color.  Besides as you well know the stellar thing about C houailou is the structure of the palm and thicker more rigid leaves than it's fellow family members.  While I hate to pick favorites, this is definitely a species I would select if I had only a handful of palms I could keep in my garden.  Yours look very happy.  If I had room for another, I would have been sending you a pm about your inventory, to see if any were available for sale.  Great palm!

15 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Here’s the aforementioned smaller specimen 

3645D89F-8FAE-4CC0-AF82-C0AAAF178B76.thumb.jpeg.e0802986c450883eaa7dfc4dcde8a96f.jpeg

• Like 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Here’s the new leaf today

69AB9B4F-21F7-4051-8AB5-8D9FF3F18DBB.thumb.jpeg.09418d77a1011851be6fdb815ed6934a.jpeg

• Like 5

And feet away 

a hookeri unfolds its grandeur 2EC129EE-83B2-4665-AF88-86B8FC9F3E84.thumb.jpeg.f2b7f5c1484610bc8766578badb5d807.jpeg 

• Like 11

Ah, fall in love every time I walk out the door . . . .

Dave,

Hope you don’t mind me dropping a few photos of my hookerii on your thread. I just took these pics this morning and am just too excited to contain myself.

C4D69D1E-9E64-4102-B47E-C620593B4F5A.thumb.jpeg.0444a36a03d015993b41ae73481df92c.jpeg

61D4F666-B2DB-4B1E-B2A0-E1D21EE4D568.thumb.jpeg.1943fd0b2b75b3bb19fb3de01c858db8.jpeg

2603F58C-5602-4C67-A662-1AC827896149.jpeg

9D7CD93D-4003-4A64-959A-47C0030516BB.jpeg

Edited by The Gerg
  • Like 9

30 minutes ago, The Gerg said:

Dave,

Hope you don’t mind me dropping a few photos of my hookerii on your thread. I just took these pics this morning and am just too excited to contain myself.

C4D69D1E-9E64-4102-B47E-C620593B4F5A.thumb.jpeg.0444a36a03d015993b41ae73481df92c.jpeg

61D4F666-B2DB-4B1E-B2A0-E1D21EE4D568.thumb.jpeg.1943fd0b2b75b3bb19fb3de01c858db8.jpeg

2603F58C-5602-4C67-A662-1AC827896149.jpeg

9D7CD93D-4003-4A64-959A-47C0030516BB.jpeg

Very nice.  Hookeri have the best red fronds!

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Hoping my lil hookeri puts out its first red leaf under my care =) Do yall notice if the red shows more in filtered light ? They definitely grow faster with more sun ! 

T J 

Here’s hookeri again

58B37CFC-3DA0-4AA6-85D8-B408F111588B.thumb.jpeg.60ec963a9621c7956bc0e7ed4a8e14d0.jpeg

• Like 3

Super beautiful. 
Although the Houailou doesn’t get the red leaf like your hookerii, they are so beautiful. 
I hope my tiny seedling can one day look like yours. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Gerg said:

Super beautiful. 
Although the Houailou doesn’t get the red leaf like your hookerii, they are so beautiful. 
I hope my tiny seedling can one day look like yours. 

Patience! Mine are both about 20 years in the ground.

Any day now. Of course, it feels like I’ve been telling myself that for a long time. 

56225E28-D3A6-4898-9085-06604239580F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

79103B44-5080-4782-9E48-982663AAC6D6.thumb.jpeg.24f6197ebf94489c6af1fff78df7da28.jpegHookeri this morning.  Too bad the other two changed colors so quickly.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

1 minute ago, joe_OC said:

79103B44-5080-4782-9E48-982663AAC6D6.thumb.jpeg.24f6197ebf94489c6af1fff78df7da28.jpegHookeri this morning.  Too bad the other two changed colors so quickly.

‘‘Tis the season 

When red leaves turn green quickly 

in winter slower and you can get 7 or 8 all red at once!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Patience! Mine are both about 20 years in the ground.

More like 10 years eeek

On 4/16/2020 at 8:16 AM, Luna-Cooper said:

Where is the most reliable source to obtain Ch Houailu?

Floribunda has them right now.

Just now, branislav said:

Floribunda has them right now.

Where I got mine small pricey and slow but worth it

@branislav!

So good to see you!

Just now, DoomsDave said:

@branislav!

So good to see you!

Oh, I am here -- and enjoying all the photos you post! I am in the garden every day. Finished wiring the green house too, just in time to unpack a shipment from Floribunda, which includes 2 Houailou to add to the 3 I have in the yard. I love this palm.

• Upvote 1

Just now, branislav said:

Oh, I am here -- and enjoying all the photos you post! I am in the garden every day. Finished wiring the green house too, just in time to unpack a shipment from Floribunda, which includes 2 Houailou to add to the 3 I have in the yard. I love this palm.

When we’re out of captivity come visit 

and I’ll show you 

• Like 1

Here’s another picture of my hookeri 

Have to cover my mouth every time I walk by to stop screaming obscenities 

9F0A3BAC-2444-4668-A6C2-F20D9CC2F2AB.thumb.jpeg.bd592a1327ee79c51f0a3c498bba1402.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 4/19/2020 at 6:10 PM, Jeff985 said:

Any day now. Of course, it feels like I’ve been telling myself that for a long time. 

56225E28-D3A6-4898-9085-06604239580F.jpegmonth ago I said any day now. Well, finally happened. Took forever, but it was worth the wait. 0E328205-F0E1-4D6B-9F8E-CD3FE8A64637.thumb.jpeg.a8a8d8d65070f291330475cfefc2b4cb.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeff985 said:
On 4/19/2020 at 7:10 PM, Jeff985 said:

56225E28-D3A6-4898-9085-06604239580F.jpegmonth ago I said any day now. Well, finally happened. Took forever, but it was worth the wait. 0E328205-F0E1-4D6B-9F8E-CD3FE8A64637.thumb.jpeg.a8a8d8d65070f291330475cfefc2b4cb.jpeg

Nice palm! You have that in full sun in Houston?

17 minutes ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

Nice palm! You have that in full sun in Houston?

It’s in filtered sun. There are two oaks nearby. Also I’m really close to Galveston bay so the humidity is like a billion percent, so I think that helps. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jeff985 said:

It’s in filtered sun. There are two oaks nearby. Also I’m really close to Galveston bay so the humidity is like a billion percent, so I think that helps. 

Be prepared to protect it in a Blue Norther.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DoomsDave said:

Be prepared to protect it in a Blue Norther.

Can anyone speak to the actual hardiness. Palmpedia says the chambeyronia macrocarpa, once established is hardy to 20 degrees. If that’s the case this thing should be bulletproof. The last time it got below 20 at my house was 1989. But I’ve read on this forum people have said they had one die at 29 degrees. If that’s the case, it’ll be lucky to make it 5 years. 

11 minutes ago, Jeff985 said:

Can anyone speak to the actual hardiness. Palmpedia says the chambeyronia macrocarpa, once established is hardy to 20 degrees. If that’s the case this thing should be bulletproof. The last time it got below 20 at my house was 1989. But I’ve read on this forum people have said they had one die at 29 degrees. If that’s the case, it’ll be lucky to make it 5 years. 

This is a good place to look (click on Chambeyronia macrocarpa).  It's anecdotal, but still a good reference point.

Edited by joe_OC
  • Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

30 minutes ago, Jeff985 said:

Sometimes Blue Northers get into the teens. If that happens Chambey is toast, alas.

I sincerely doubt they're hardy to 20 F, based on my own (thank heaven limited) observations. You hit about 26 or 27 and there's obvious damage. BUT, you might get a good many years anyway.

9 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Sometimes Blue Northers get into the teens. If that happens Chambey is toast, alas.

I sincerely doubt they're hardy to 20 F, based on my own (thank heaven limited) observations. You hit about 26 or 27 and there's obvious damage. BUT, you might get a good many years anyway.

If we get into the teens pretty much everything I have will be gone. Last time that happened was 31 years ago, so maybe that means we’re due. Maybe it means that nonsense is behind us. Only time will tell. 

I lost a few chambeyronias that year with lows of 24 for a few days. I’ve not seen any damage in later years down to 29 at times... 

image.thumb.jpeg.79caaf71441c5062fa63e3683da62d2e.jpeg

• Like 2

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland