IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Weathered trachy

palm789

My local garden center got this big trachy reduced from £300 down to £189  they said it got new fronds growing and if I buy they will give me a few bags of soul for free and big bottle of maxicrop.would you buy? What you think? Yes or no

thumbnail_IMG_3078.jpg

My honest answer personally is that I wouldn't pay that sum for that palm, despite the token of added bits and pieces to encourage you to buy it.. At face value it is quite a reduction (from what was vastly over-priced anyway imo) but it looks like a specimen that has got rather weather beaten. I prefer to get as full fronded younger palms for relatively much lower prices and let TLC and nature do the rest in terms of size, though I understand that instant gratification is possible by buying a large palm.  This one would probably recover somewhat and produce decent enough new growth over the course of the late Spring and Summer - but in my view it is not the most attractive specimen to part with a bigger sum of money

The impression I get is that it looks to me as though this is a palm the garden shop want to sell off asap because it isn't in the best state it could be. Up to you of course however - as it is your garden, your requirements and not mine.

Do you know the temps this palm has been exposed to???  It's a definite gamble and you won't know for some time if it will make it.  It looks like it's weak from being in the small pot too long or it got exposed to too cold of temps.  If the roots were exposed to cold in that small of a pot it could have problems for months.  It will be weak for at least a year and going into next winter will need to be cared for.   If you wanted to buy it I'd check the spear and the newest 3 fronds for rot and dig in the pot and see if the roots look healthy and white.    I'd ask them how long they had it and what they think is wrong with it.  Keep in mind it will most likely not grow much and look rough for 1 year or more while it grows roots.  Personally I'd buy a different one if there was a choice.

Edited by Allen

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

4 minutes ago, Allen said:

Do you know the temps this palm has been exposed to???  It's a definite gamble and you won't know for some time if it will make it.  It looks like it's weak from being in the small pot too long or it got exposed to too cold of temps.  If the roots were exposed to cold in that small of a pot it could have problems for months.  It will be weak for at least a year and going into next winter will need to be cared for.   If you wanted to buy it I'd check the spear and the newest 3 fronds for rot and dig in the pot and see if the roots look healthy and white.    I'd ask them how long they had it and what they think is wrong with it.  Keep in mind it will most likely not grow much and look rough for 1 year or more while it grows roots.  Personally I'd buy a different one if there was a choice.

We had a very mild winter just gone -4 to max -5 and no snow alot of rain last year and hot summer max 28c

$150/trunk foot is a typical price here, that's a $400-$500 palm and over $1,000 at a garden center. I'd buy it, but offer them $150.  

It won't look good until the end of summer 2021, but I've bought in worse condition with full recovery.  It just needs some time in some good soil.  I would put it in background somewhere where it's not a focal point.