IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Seeds Confiscated by Customs

jreich85

After waiting weeks with anticipation for my RPS order to arrive, I got an empty package today. The only thing in the package was a Mail Interception Notice stating that the USDA destroyed my seeds basically because the phytosanitary certificate was missing. I only had ordered 4 small packets of 10 seeds each, and my understanding is that the phyto is not needed for what I ordered. I've ordered from RPS many times before and have never had this problem. Has anyone had to deal with this and have any luck getting some type of compensation from this, or am I likely out of luck? Searching for info on what to do in this scenario has so far been fruitless. I haven't bugged RPS and USPS yet but will probably reach out to them soon.

• Like 1

Basically out of luck. Decision to confiscate "that" package was within usda discretion. Could have been a new inspector not familiar with all the policies or they may have spotted something in the shipment,real or imagined.It happens.I've had an occasional plant shipment from Florida taken by Arizona inspectors... Most arrive without any problems though.Because of this,many Florida growers won't  even take a chance, and just refuse to ship to Arizona.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 3

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Ive seen most people dont ship to California likely beccause of this situation. 

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

Rules per the UDSDA:

Small Lots of Seed
Last Modified: Nov 21, 2019
Lots of seed may be imported without a phytosanitary certificate under the following conditions:

The importation of the seed is authorized by a written permit specifically for small lots of seed. Permits are usually valid for 3 years and cover multiple importations.

The seed is not restricted under the Not Autorized Pending Pest Risk Analysis (NAPPRA) category in the Plants for Planting Manual; is not of any Federal noxious weed species; does not require an additional declaration on a phytosanitary certificate; does not require treatment; is not a parasitic plant; is not genetically modified; is not pelleted, coated, or imbedded in growing media, seed tape, cloth, or similar materials.

If the seed is a field/agricultural crop or vegetable, it meets the requirements of the Federal Seed Act import provisions in 7 CFR 361.

If the seed is regulated under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) or the Endangered Species Act, it meets the additional requirements.

The seed meets the following packaging and shipping requirements:

A typed or legibly printed seed list/invoice accompanies each shipment with the name of the collector/shipper, the botanical names (at least to genus, preferably to species level) listed alphabetically, as well as the country of origin, and country shipped from, for each taxon. Each seed packet is clearly labeled with the name of the collector/shipper, the country of origin, and the scientific name at least to the genus, and preferably to the species, level. The invoice/seed list may provide a code for each lot, which may be used on the seed packets in lieu of the full list of required information. In this case, each packet must at least include the appropriate code, which is referenced to the entry for that packet on the seed list/invoice.
There are a maximum of 50 seeds of 1 taxon (taxonomic category such as genus, species, cultivar, etc.) per packet; or a maximum weight not to exceed 10 grams of seed of 1 taxon per packet;
There are a maximum of 50 seed packets per shipment;
The seeds are free from pesticides;
The seeds are securely packaged in packets or envelopes and sealed to prevent spillage [Note: we recommend that seeds are packed in resealable, clear plastic envelopes to facilitate inspection];
(vi) The shipment is free from soil, plant material other than seed, other foreign matter or debris, seeds in the fruit or seed pod, and living organisms such as parasitic plants, pathogens, insects, snails, mites; and
(vii) At the time of importation, the shipment is sent to an approved port of entry listed in the permit. 

I have noticed that many sellers(non-US) recommend getting a Small lot Permit from the USDA now as apparently the APHIS/USDA has begun to confiscate more.  There has also been conversation that different USDA stations are more likely to confiscate than others as well. 

jimmyt

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I think International mail has slowed to a trickle and so they are able to much more closely scrutinize packages. I lost seeds from another source in Germany(Not RPS). My packages are generally routed through New York, but given the current crisis there, were sent through Customs in Chicago. I would hold off ordering anything without a phytosanitary certificate, and if necessary CITES paperwork. Atleast for a while.

Edited by Meangreen94z
  • Upvote 1

Also I noticed your comment about not needing a phytosanitary certificate. You may have misunderstood the fine print on RPS. Below a certain dollar value(I think $200), RPS does not require you to purchase a phytosanitary certificate.  All liability is shifted to your end by not optionally purchasing it anyways. They ship all over the world, but in the case of the U.S.,  yes you are required to have a phytosanitary certificate. It’s there to prevent the importation of foreign pests and diseases.

• Like 3

If you get the Small Lot of Seeds permit from APHIS you do not have to have a phytosanitary certificate so long as you follow the rules.

However, you have to have the package shipped to an inspection station and include certain documentation. I have not tried it with RPS, but I know in the past their website mentioned it. After they have inspected it, they forward the package on to you.

I have imported seeds from the UK and elsewhere several times now without issue in this manner, but it takes a little extra effort from the exporter to make it work.

Unfortunately, I agree that you are out of luck in this case.

I got an order from RPS a couple weeks ago and am expecting another soon. I've not had RPS seeds seized before but suspect I'm on borrowed time (but, please, not this time). Problem for me is RPS charges $30 (euros?) for a phytosanitary permit, which gives me great pause. I would need to order !00s of $ of seeds to make that expense worthwhile, which would send my husband into orbit. All those $$$$$$ for - seeds? He has a valid point.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

3 hours ago, jreich85 said:

After waiting weeks with anticipation for my RPS order to arrive, I got an empty package today. The only thing in the package was a Mail Interception Notice stating that the USDA destroyed my seeds basically because the phytosanitary certificate was missing. I only had ordered 4 small packets of 10 seeds each, and my understanding is that the phyto is not needed for what I ordered. I've ordered from RPS many times before and have never had this problem. Has anyone had to deal with this and have any luck getting some type of compensation from this, or am I likely out of luck? Searching for info on what to do in this scenario has so far been fruitless. I haven't bugged RPS and USPS yet but will probably reach out to them soon.

I don't think you'll be compensated, sorry to say. I had the same thing happen recently twice (once by Calif. Ag, then by USDA inspectors), after years without problems, so for my next order I paid for a phyto certif. and got my seed delivery.  But it gave me pause whether I want to do that again. I may just order from palm suppliers in California and Hawai'i.

27 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I got an order from RPS a couple weeks ago and am expecting another soon. I've not had RPS seeds seized before but suspect I'm on borrowed time (but, please, not this time). Problem for me is RPS charges $30 (euros?) for a phytosanitary permit, which gives me great pause. I would need to order !00s of $ of seeds to make that expense worthwhile, which would send my husband into orbit. All those $$$$$$ for - seeds? He has a valid point.

Yes, it is something to consider... unless you want to start up a palm nursery business with all those phyto-certified seedlings! ;)

Occasionally I ship my palm seed to US destinations from Hawaii . I have to go to USDA and have them inspected,  . Many times they look at each seed. Sometimes even x-ray them. (It ends up being a time consuming endevor, and many times it dosenʻt feel worth my effort). Very rarely have they found a pest. They stamp the package and watch me seal each one. 

I have had one package from RPS confiscated, luckly RPS sent me replacements. I would try them first. 

aloha

• Upvote 1

@colin Peters  I have done exactly what you described above when I visited Maui several years ago and collected seed and plumeria cuttings, etc.  It is a tedious but nearly 100% guaranteed successful process to insure your seeds will arrive at their US destination.   The inspection station was at the airport and like you say they look over everything closely and if cleared you get to box it and seal it up on the spot.  Then they will stamp it Clear for transport.  Then you have to take it to the post office or shipping station to send it.   It all takes a lot longer than standing in line at the post office for sure.  I understand why you Hawaiians have to charge a little bit for your seed! 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the replies and sharing your experiences. A lot more information gathered here than I probably could have gleaned after hours of searching elsewhere.  I'll see if RPS takes any pity on me, and you can count me in the group of folks not buying seeds anytime soon - the cost of covering all bases is sadly just not worth it to the hobbyist buying 50 or less seeds at a time. 

I’ve never had luck with their palm seeds anyway. They are usually no longer viable from my experience, better to hang out in the for sale section on here and get fresh seed when they become available. I do buy cycad and agave seed from RPS occasionally, they typically have a longer shelf life than most palm varieties.

Edited by Meangreen94z
  • Like 4

I’ve had a few successful orders with RPS in the past but my order from January went missing when it got to my local post office. A USPS search yielded no results. I don’t blame RPS but it sure is a bummer and given my germination rate I probably won’t order again. 

I've had mixed luck myself germinating seeds that I have bought there, but always figured it would be hard for them to be fresh if they had to get from halfway around the world to Germany, then over to the U.S. The silver lining is that this will make me try to find more seeds that I can pick myself and reach out to folks on here more to buy seeds and seedlings.

Does anyone know of any good places in Florida to harvest semi-rare and more exotic palm seeds? I have been meaning to go to Leu Gardens and reach out to Eric for the longest time. There is also a really cool arboretum at Constitution Park in Deerfield Beach, FL that I stop by when I travel that way for work. For anyone that is not familiar with it, I would highly recommend it.

Off topic perhaps, but years ago I sent dozens of packets of seeds all over the world from Aus. for free,

until I got a warning letter and a packet of seeds returned to me by our (Australian) customs, then I stopped giving seeds internationally.

I was surprised that the seeds were returned re-sealed. I subsequently sprouted the Chameys myself and gave them away here.

But the other lot that I sent at the same time got through to Italy or Spain I forget, but it seemed to be just the luck of the draw.

Now is different, seeds, spores, virus, everyone is is becoming more careful.  Perhaps rightly so.

I don't know, just maybe it does pay to be careful. 

• Like 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

12 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

I think International mail has slowed to a trickle and so they are able to much more closely scrutinize packages. I lost seeds from another source in Germany(Not RPS). My packages are generally routed through New York, but given the current crisis there, were sent through Customs in Chicago. I would hold off ordering anything without a phytosanitary certificate, and if necessary CITES paperwork. Atleast for a while.

This

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Lol I did send three seed lots of uncleared seeds to three different destinations in the USA and all off them arrived at the aimed address, one of them being in SCa! Thing is that each seed lot was not bulky at all and could be enclosed (hidden) inside a post card! I can not rule out of course that postage from Germany 'enjoys' a special treatment...

Edited by Phoenikakias

I to got one of those letters when I sent seed to US destination years back without having them inspected and stamped by usda , not a kind letter at all. So now I have to have usda inspect. not worth the extreme consequences. Also no way can I send internationally w/o a phyto., which are quite expensive, at least from Hawaii, and make it cost prohibitive for the buyer. Also I know the seed is clean and not spreading unwanted pests. 

aloha

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 10:05 AM, jreich85 said:

Ouch

so sorry to hear!

What kind of seeds were they?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 4/9/2020 at 11:36 AM, Meangreen94z said:

You are right. I would wait till things blow over till I order from RPS. I was just thinking about doing so. I will wait now. Thanks for the heads up.

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/10/2020 at 8:27 PM, DoomsDave said:

Ouch

so sorry to hear!

What kind of seeds were they?

Sorry Dave, I didn’t realize I was logged out for awhile and not getting notifications. I had ordered the small packets of Beccariophoenix Alfredii, Dypsis Malcomberi, Dypsis Robusta, and Howea Forsteriana. Not a lot, but would have been fun to germinate and give a shot here in our marginal climate in northeast Florida.

• Like 1