NickJames

Backyard Update

NickJames
21 hours ago, WaianaeCrider said:

Looks GREAT!  Do you have a yard person to keep the area covered w/rocks grass free?  Will that be you? 

I am the yard person! :)

Hence why my yard looks better than all the people who pay $$$$$ every month for ‘professional’ services.  (Who even will gladly trip your Washingtonia or sabals to 2 fronds)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

JLM

Foxtail looks great! I wonder how im going to deal with mine when it gets to that size :hmm:

The foxtail i got was listed as a 1.91 gallon but has been repotted. Ants are still trying to colonize in my foxtail's pot.

sonoranfans
13 hours ago, NickJames said:

I am the yard person! :)

Hence why my yard looks better than all the people who pay $$$$$ every month for ‘professional’ services.  (Who even will gladly trip your Washingtonia or sabals to 2 fronds)

Yep, those yard people could bring diseased cutting tools to trim your yard as well.  I have ten years invested in my yard, no pathogens please.   I do all the trimming, feeding and maintenance on my 60 plus palms.  I trim them and have the yard people cut what grass I have, and carry away all the leaves.  I have seen them fill their trailer with huge adult bismarckia, royal, copernicia, borassus, and sabal causiarum leaves.  They can carry, but I trim, feed, and mulch etc.

• Upvote 2

NickJames

F98A8545-FA82-4C33-A0E5-01DF1677151F.jpeg

B2CE3194-15D5-45C3-8FE9-9BFDFDAF71A8.jpeg

• Like 13

Tracy S

Looking good. That has got to be one of the nicest lawns I have seen in a long time. Well done!

• Like 1

NickJames

WOW! One of my royals ejected another old leaflet base (from one of the fronds apparently cut off at the nursery)

Heres a progression of its journey tonight from palm to ashes. 

Look at the bulge midway up the palm. It seems to be fattening up pretty rapidly. More than 2 inches of rain yesterday, and she seems to be soaking it up today! :D 

FDFE64CD-1FDF-4A37-97F9-F8996F013617.jpeg

DBE49E67-DFF2-4446-91C5-197467491F55.jpeg

DF1747FA-A585-4C12-880A-FD25E4EDD465.jpeg

830FC796-620B-4191-8A24-2550E19A6148.jpeg

48492049-877A-427B-BF47-74A0DFBF236C.jpeg

• Like 6

NickJames

Really more on a front yard update, but I am still amazed at how quickly this grows in the heat. Major trunk fattening here too. You could practically break the trunk in half when I got it. It’ll be a year in the ground on August 1!

BF80FFEE-9F1C-4003-A999-FF4BEFEDA93E.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

NickJames

Technically a front yard update tonight but couldn’t resist....

9E8336BB-6E2A-4CB7-B91E-8EF1C6FDD63D.jpeg

• Like 6

GottmitAlex
3 minutes ago, NickJames said:

Technically a front yard update tonight but couldn’t resist....

9E8336BB-6E2A-4CB7-B91E-8EF1C6FDD63D.jpeg

Spectacular @NickJames

How clean and beautiful!

• Like 3

Dartolution

@NickJames Absolutely love your house. 

Beautiful landscaping as well. Did you choose the higher kelvin bulb temperature on purpose or does it just come through in pictures? 

• Like 1

NickJames
2 hours ago, Dartolution said:

@NickJames Absolutely love your house. 

Beautiful landscaping as well. Did you choose the higher kelvin bulb temperature on purpose or does it just come through in pictures? 

I’m all about the lighting ;)

yes, I purposefully chose 5000k. The builder had both 5000k and 3000k on hand and I paid to have 60 recessed lights in the home and outside so I said 5000k floods only, please! My soffit lights on the spire aren’t even turned on in this photo.

Everything is of course LED as well. My electric bill is only $165/month and I set my air very low. 

• Like 2

GottmitAlex
3 minutes ago, NickJames said:

yes, I purposefully chose 5000k. The builder had both 5000k and 3000k on hand and I paid to have 60 recessed lights in the home and outside so I said 5000k floods only, please! My soffit lights on the spire aren’t even turned on in this photo.

Everything is of course LED as well. My electric bill is only $165/month and I set my air very low. 

I honestly thought your lights were 6k (daylight).

You've got the touch. Well, you do know your business! 

Here again, nice house. 

• Like 1

NickJames
7 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

I honestly thought your lights were 6k (daylight).

You've got the touch. Well, you do know your business! 

Here again, nice house. 

I thought 5000k WAS daylight!? :o

They were marketed as 5000k/daylight. I think any higher and they begin to look blue. There is definitely no warmth to them. The landscape lighting out back is warmer, but I didn’t want my neighbors to think UFOs were coming to abduct them. 

• Like 1

GottmitAlex
5 minutes ago, NickJames said:

They were marketed as 5000k/daylight. I think any higher and they begin to look blue. There is definitely no warmth to them. The landscape lighting out back is warmer, but I didn’t want my neighbors to think UFOs were coming to abduct them. 

I have a 6k (daylight 120w) led bulb for the patio/cars/palms. And yes, no yellow (warmth) to the lighting, but it's great lighting. Even for security purposes.

ETA: HaHaHa on the ufo's.

• Like 1

NickJames
19 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

I have a 6k (daylight 120w) led bulb for the patio/cars/palms. And yes, no yellow (warmth) to the lighting, but it's great lighting. Even for security purposes.

ETA: HaHaHa on the ufo's.

Nice. Mine are only 60w equivalent because I have SO MANY (including four in each bedroom) that 120w equivalent would be blinding. 

GottmitAlex
30 minutes ago, NickJames said:

Nice. Mine are only 60w equivalent because I have SO MANY (including four in each bedroom) that 120w equivalent would be blinding. 

Oh. I see. My patio 120w LED is not a "120w equivalent". It's an actual 120W LED 6K kelvin corn bulb. 

Dartolution
16 hours ago, NickJames said:

That is excellent. I like the cool white look. Thats a pretty damn good electric bill. Thats roughly what mine is and I live in a little 2 br/2.5bth townhouse. 

16 hours ago, NickJames said:

5K "is" "daylight". I don't think you'd want 6,700K bulbs (true solar daylight as seen from earth). That would look.. well, blue to the eye. 5K is a good mid ground usually.

kinzyjr

@NickJames Great work!  Everything is growing pretty quick!  Hope no major surprises tomorrow and Monday.

• Like 1

JASON M

Beautiful yard, your palms are doing really well this summer. The Sabal trios frame the view nicely. Crossing fingers this weekend!

• Like 1

NickJames
4 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

@NickJames Great work!  Everything is growing pretty quick!  Hope no major surprises tomorrow and Monday.

Now if only winter will stay warm, I’ll be all set!

• Like 1

NickJames
3 hours ago, JASON M said:

Beautiful yard, your palms are doing really well this summer. The Sabal trios frame the view nicely. Crossing fingers this weekend!

Thanks! I can’t WAIT to see what everything looks like at the end of next summer...

• Like 2

NickJames

3A294BEC-B201-436C-998C-E387B6BD3D93.jpeg

• Like 12

sandgroper

Fantastic photos mate, your garden is beautiful, your coconut looks terrific!

• Like 1

Palmfarmer

Very well made and great progression/growth. Do you plan on protecting that Coconut?

NickJames
34 minutes ago, Palmfarmer said:

Very well made and great progression/growth. Do you plan on protecting that Coconut?

I think so, at least while I can. Any thoughts on best way to do it? I thought about getting a canopy tent and propane heater. This past winter would’ve required no protection but I’ll need to have a setup on standby. The firepit is close enough to provide at least a couple degrees bump. I plan on filling the bottom with sand or rock to elevate the Actual fire to that the heat distribution has a further spread. 

NickJames

1 year progress on the foxtail

5 months Progress on the cocos

53D1293B-3B93-447E-8D04-7D6E7B8E949C.jpeg

7317FAC7-3840-4615-8024-02FFEC4E82C4.jpeg

• Like 7

NickJames

Meanwhile, I can’t keep any saw palmetto alive - LOL

Dartolution

ewwww, Foxtail gettin' thicc! hahaha 

• Like 1

NOT A TA

Yard has come a long way since you started, looks great!

• Like 1

NickJames

Screened in the back patio today. That one side has “panoramic screen” so no chair rail etc. It doesn’t even look like it’s there from the inside. 

CEA30358-1E75-4B2A-BB1D-51C0C923176F.jpeg

• Like 4

kinzyjr
On 8/30/2020 at 1:34 PM, NickJames said:

Meanwhile, I can’t keep any saw palmetto alive - LOL

Everyone has at least one plant that just doesn't grow quite as well as it should.  For me, it's papayas.  I get a few fruit cycles out of them and then out they go.  Meanwhile, I walk to the end of my street and there are 20ft.+ plants loaded with enough fruit to fill a 55 gal. drum everywhere.

NickJames
14 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

Everyone has at least one plant that just doesn't grow quite as well as it should.  For me, it's papayas.  I get a few fruit cycles out of them and then out they go.  Meanwhile, I walk to the end of my street and there are 20ft.+ plants loaded with enough fruit to fill a 55 gal. drum everywhere.

Frustrating!

• Like 1

NickJames

The two field grown royals have really started to diverge. You can see the eastern most one is really growing quite more rapidly. It’s rather a shocking difference now. 

Does the western one look okay?

@Coasta you’ll want to see this. 

2AA0798A-D956-4799-9DE1-5C570B33F683.jpeg

18C8E0F2-D983-415D-9164-181E9E4AB9F0.jpeg

• Like 4

NickJames

4 inches of rain so far this weekend, winds to 40 - this royal growth continues to explode. 

B5A9364C-21BD-4327-9114-A745255AD8E6.jpeg

183C6847-E72B-4386-9B05-FB3B646E7D0F.jpeg

• Like 1

JLM

What is causing your strong winds is an area of low pressure that developed off the coast lastnight and has moved inland. It might contain a little bit of Sally's DNA. It now has a chance for development in the Gulf before upper level winds become unfavorable.

NickJames

Well, I won an HOA award tonight for “green thumb” - LOL

39BCB983-BF26-4B28-B198-F2C355794F5D.jpeg

• Like 4