IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Backyard Update

NickJames

2 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

@NickJames GOALS. This looks amazing. 

If y'all ever need a butler, lmk. I make some mean chicken nuggets and Easy Mac :floor:

Soon. I’m running ragged. Just got promoted at work to VP and planting my 13 gallon mule palm this week just about killed me. And to think last year I planted a gazillion palm WAY larger including those two field grown royals. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NickJames said:

And to think last year I planted a gazillion palm WAY larger including those two field grown royals. 

Congrats on your promotion but my back hurts just reading that. 

10 hours ago, NickJames said:

Soon. I’m running ragged. Just got promoted at work to VP and planting my 13 gallon mule palm this week just about killed me. And to think last year I planted a gazillion palm WAY larger including those two field grown royals. 

Yeah planting that monster Spindle up front was just about at my strength limit.  6 feet of trunk with a big Spindle bulge at about chest height made it a beast to stand upright.  And when I slid it into the hole I dragged a bunch of dirt down with the root ball...which made it too high by about 3 inches.  :o  It was too heavy to lift back out of the hole, so I had my wife hold it at about a 15 degree angle while I stuck my arm under there and pulled out sand.  Then I tilted it the other way, had her hold from the other direction, rinse and repeat about 6 times until it settled at the right height.  Big pot plants were actually easier, because all the weight is at ground level.  The 45g Mule I put in the backyard was trivial compared to that Spindle!

How did the Royals do in the Christmas night freeze?  I had zero damage to a few semi-sheltered Foxtails, and a little minor damage to two doubles and a triple out in the open.  The ones out in the open had been transplanted over the summer and were already a bit yellowed, so I'd expected them to get toasty in the 28F & frost.  But not really anything significant, so I may try a couple more elsewhere.

2 hours ago, Merlyn said:

Yeah planting that monster Spindle up front was just about at my strength limit.  6 feet of trunk with a big Spindle bulge at about chest height made it a beast to stand upright.  And when I slid it into the hole I dragged a bunch of dirt down with the root ball...which made it too high by about 3 inches.  :o  It was too heavy to lift back out of the hole, so I had my wife hold it at about a 15 degree angle while I stuck my arm under there and pulled out sand.  Then I tilted it the other way, had her hold from the other direction, rinse and repeat about 6 times until it settled at the right height.  Big pot plants were actually easier, because all the weight is at ground level.  The 45g Mule I put in the backyard was trivial compared to that Spindle!

How did the Royals do in the Christmas night freeze?  I had zero damage to a few semi-sheltered Foxtails, and a little minor damage to two doubles and a triple out in the open.  The ones out in the open had been transplanted over the summer and were already a bit yellowed, so I'd expected them to get toasty in the 28F & frost.  But not really anything significant, so I may try a couple more elsewhere.

My royals have no real discernible damage. My foxtail also has no discernible damage. I have one royal that doesn’t look so hot but it was looking like that before the cold. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m not sure how much more she can take - lost most outer fronds. The center spear is still perfect though. Just a few more weeks, my Malaysian darling. 

AF158C3D-099E-4FE9-8975-C7705AA9352E.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NickJames said:

I’m not sure how much more she can take - lost most outer fronds. The center spear is still perfect though. Just a few more weeks, my Malaysian darling. 

AF158C3D-099E-4FE9-8975-C7705AA9352E.jpeg

I lost more lower fronds than usual on mine too. Starting to make me nervous. Lowest has been 38F but the overall coolness taking tolls. 

• Upvote 1

Well, decided to cut my losses today within the warranty period And dug out the bottle palm. Replaced it with this livistona sp. just in stock at Ormond Lowe’s. 

2AC8A8C6-B8FF-4D1C-B0D1-9F93AB40EEF6.jpeg

C44809C1-5C9B-4CBC-8647-EDD201C3F401.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

A much better, reliable cold hardy palm for your area! Looks nice!

Areca definitely toasted though.

That is Areca right?

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

1 hour ago, JLM said:

A much better, reliable cold hardy palm for your area! Looks nice!

Areca definitely toasted though.

That is Areca right?

Dypsis lutescens, not an Areca.

• Like 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

3 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Still lots to learn! Thanks!
After looking it up, its the same thing. Common names are terrible lol

Edited by JLM
  • Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

1 minute ago, JLM said:

Still lots to learn! Thanks!

NP!  D. lutescens is often labelled as an Areca, but that's incorrect.

• Like 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

1 minute ago, Ben in Norcal said:

NP!  D. lutescens is often labelled as an Areca, but that's incorrect.

That definitely clarifies everything! My local Walmart has plenty of these, Adonidia, Foxtails, a Bottle, and a few Queens. I was quite surprised by their selection today, but i did not get anything because i have enough palms to drag in and out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Here in Florida even all of us palm collectors or novice guys still call them Arecas. 

4 minutes ago, Reeverse said:

Here in Florida even all of us palm collectors or novice guys still call them Arecas. 

This ^^^.  I think there's MAYBE one person in my neighborhood who would know what a Dypsis lutescens is but everyone would know what you were referring to if you said you bought an Areca palm.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NOT A TA said:

This ^^^.  I think there's MAYBE one person in my neighborhood who would know what a Dypsis lutescens is but everyone would know what you were referring to if you said you bought an Areca palm.

Strange.  I mean it's not even really a common name, it's an incorrect name (wrong genus).  Interesting that people don't really call them that out here, on the main - but I do see plants coming in from FL mislabelled as such.

Ben Rogers

2 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Strange.  I mean it's not even really a common name

It's the only common name for Dypsis lutescens I've ever heard used by the general public on the East coast. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NOT A TA said:

It's the only common name for Dypsis lutescens I've ever heard used by the general public on the East coast. 

Common names suck, period, as we know!

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On 2/7/2021 at 9:02 PM, Ben in Norcal said:

Strange.  I mean it's not even really a common name, it's an incorrect name (wrong genus).  Interesting that people don't really call them that out here, on the main - but I do see plants coming in from FL mislabelled as such.

It's true that Chrysalidocarpus lutescens is commonly referred to as the Areca Palm here.

One of the reasons is the Genus at one time indeed was Areca.

So that's where this comes from.

That said - it has several other commons names including Bamboo Palm, Cane Palm, and Yellow Palm....and if you look in what is considered to be the bible of Florida landscape plants - Watkins and Sheehan's "Florida Landscape Plants" on page 48 it's even referred to as the Madagascar Palm (of all things!). I'm looking at the 1975 edition.

Just don't call it a Dypsis without adding the lutescens and we're good! :P

• Like 1

In my time , I have seen the Queen Palm name  , go from " Cocos Plumosa " , to  "Arecastrum Romanzoffiana " , To " Syagrus R. "  so the

common ,  non palmy  person , remains confused .

At one time Butias were called " Cocos Australis " as well .

I shudder to think what name will be applied to the Beccariophoenix  Alfredii when it becomes a HD or Lowes everyday offering .

• Like 4

Sounds like you are getting some zone reality, nick.  I had mine in 2010 (28F plus heavy frost) when I first moved in and planted out a bunch of zone 10 palms in a wide open yard with no overhead protection.  The lutecens do burn easily, but they do recover from it.  thy do better in shade here, more colorful and vibrant green in color.  Looks like the big royal is ok, good news with that bud up there off the ground.  The 2010 frost burn cleared out almost half of my newly planted open yard.  I shifted gears and isolated zone 10 palms to the south of the house, near the oak woods, and started planting more cold tolerant palms like sabal uresana, causiarum and mauritiiformis towards the front(north) side replacing some tender crownshafts that were too exposed to the northern weather intrusions.   I knew that bottle would be a goner, and you will always need to protect the coco.  Bottles in my neighborhood looked fine from newly planted after 2010 event till the 2018 advective event.  There are a couple left and they still dont look recovered fully, not happy looking palms with stunted leaf lengths.  That livistona will be beautiful after the winter, every year.  I have come to the place where if I have to keep a palm in critical care in winter so it can recover and look good for 2 months a year, I am done with it.  I rather have a happy vibrant colored cold tolerant palm than a sickly looking tropical one.  

• Like 2

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

2 hours ago, Bill H2DB said:

In my time , I have seen the Queen Palm name  , go from " Cocos Plumosa " , to  "Arecastrum Romanzoffiana " , To " Syagrus R. "  so the

common ,  non palmy  person , remains confused .

At one time Butias were called " Cocos Australis " as well .

I shudder to think what name will be applied to the Beccariophoenix  Alfredii when it becomes a HD or Lowes everyday offering .

I’ve already seen it locally in other nurseries as “Frozen Coconut”

On the note of the D. Lutescens...with the warmer weather, should I go ahead and spray them (along with my other tropical palms) with microlife organic Foliar spray, or is it still too early?

Don't spray any cold damaged palms with fertilizer.  You will encourage damage to the damaged tissue

• Like 2

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

3 hours ago, Allen said:

Don't spray any cold damaged palms with fertilizer.  You will encourage damage to the damaged tissue

Oh, ok.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2021 at 9:54 AM, NickJames said:

On the note of the D. Lutescens...with the warmer weather, should I go ahead and spray them (along with my other tropical palms) with microlife organic Foliar spray, or is it still too early?

@NickJames I agree with @Allen Let them recover for a while first before resuming a fertilization routine. 

Also, Despite the cold damage, the yard still looks nice! :)

• Like 1

I feel like your yard would benefit from a Copernicia macroglossa with a clean trunk.  Just throwing that out there.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Planted my new a. Cunninghamiana I picked up at Leu Gardens (MB Palms). 

Stuck it right in this mucky section in the corner. It is shaded by the travelers ‘palm’. 

I dug the hole and it immediately filled with water so it’ll probably love this spot. 

61A2288C-141A-4541-98D9-0D9D49442721.jpeg

3EEF980A-D8BF-4C7D-89C9-F8C721B2973C.jpeg

61431F84-B30A-48F7-9411-2EC36EC0706E.jpeg

• Like 2

Nice :)

Is that a temp fence? Seems a bit close... especially as trio as they will arc away from each other.

• Like 1

really Nick, even as a trio the stems should be 12-18 inches apart,  :)

• Like 2

San Francisco, California

• 2 weeks later...

Update on my cocos, it has resumed rapid growth. There are 3 new fronds in the center. The trunk also appears to be continuing to gain height. Happy to report that it looks like I did manage to keep it alive through a super cool December and several frost/freeze events. 

9382A3E7-27C8-4F57-B5D3-2C7539F490F7.jpeg

D6AD8BBD-C80A-4A08-8DA5-23323E2E8346.jpeg

5C5AB5CA-6BA9-4E81-BFDF-9E34E0949400.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 4

On 4/5/2021 at 8:01 PM, NickJames said:

Happy to report that it looks like I did manage to keep it alive through a super cool December and several frost/freeze events. 

Congrats! I often find myself thinking of your coconut palm and that heater when I think about weathering palms in winter haha 

• Like 1

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing. I am glad where I live it usually doesn’t go below 50F in winter at night. Glad the palms can recover from frost for you. The elephant ears are nice too :) 

Edited by Palms Brisbane
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Palms Brisbane said:

Thanks for sharing. I am glad where I live it usually doesn’t go below 50F in winter at night. Glad the palms can recover from frost for you. The elephant ears are nice too :) 

I just couldn’t believe that area was frozen back to the ground and recovered that quickly. I was stunned!

• Like 1

You are in for a TON of growth this year!

• Like 1