IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Backyard Update

NickJames

The pavers are in! Now the palms don’t look so random ha ha

Still recuperating from neck injury but hoping to be back at it soon so finish the landscaping. 

View from master bedroom and view from floor 2. 

4AE46163-BDAC-47FC-973F-057CAC1B392C.jpeg

EBE42823-96D9-48BD-A2C6-1BAA8B074F7A.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Upvote 2

Well, now you’re just showing off... Not that I blame you. It’s looking great. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Gorgeous!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

11 minutes ago, Cape Garrett said:

Very nice.  Are royals and coconuts long term in your area?

We’ll see ;)

They're in the best possible Location on my property. Facing southeast with protection from the north. I’m sure the royals will outlive the coconut. I’m prepared to lose the coconut. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I like the arc, I am a big fan of "no straight lines," especially in the sand here in Floriduh.  The royals should stand a good chance, even in that cold blast 2 winters ago the royals in South Orlando (near the airport) fared pretty well.  Older fronds were fried, but the newer ones looked pretty okay and they kept growing without a hitch.  Coconuts, on the other hand...  :D

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Is the body of water fresh or salt?

It’s a manmade stormwater retention basin. So it’s fresh. The pine trees are Tiger Bay State Forest.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Gerg said:

Looking really good. You are making quick work of that backyard makeover.

Probably too quick. Still suffering from neck injury from it. Ugh. 

I am a big fan of that paver job Nick, its gorgeous.  When the palms grow in it should be fantastic.  Do you have beccariophoenix alfredii?  I would keep a few in reserve in tthe event the cold kills the cocos.  Alfrediis look so much better than cocos in 9B IMO, its not even close.  Make no mistake, IMO a coco in 10b is a gorgeous palm, but to me they get a bit ratty and chlorotic(yellowish) in 9B.  In 9B the alfrediis are much more vibrant in color.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

1 hour ago, sonoranfans said:

I am a big fan of that paver job Nick, its gorgeous.  When the palms grow in it should be fantastic.  Do you have beccariophoenix alfredii?  I would keep a few in reserve in tthe event the cold kills the cocos.  Alfrediis look so much better than cocos in 9B IMO, its not even close.  Make no mistake, IMO a coco in 10b is a gorgeous palm, but to me they get a bit ratty and chlorotic(yellowish) in 9B.  In 9B the alfrediis are much more vibrant in color.

Great advice!

5 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

In 9B the alfrediis are much more vibrant in color.

That's true, the Alfredii will look great any time except right after a really serious cold front into the mid 20s.  The coconut *might* look ratty for half of the year, every single year, unless you take extreme measures to protect it on every cold night.  That's why I have 5 B. Alfredii in the ground and one occupies the "prime spot" right outside my computer room window.  I have a couple of dwarfs up front, and am germinating two more coconuts I brought back from Key Largo, but I'm relying on the B. Alfredii to really give that coconut "feel."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Updated photos as the stone continues to get placed.

MRI results came back and I have two discs herniated into my spinal column, scoliosis, and a nodule on my thyroid! Wow! All of this discovered from the strain of planting the royals and dypsis lutescens! I’m apparently 26 going on 70. Having to take it slow but getting the backyard more and more done, slowly. Focusing on the stone and non-palm small plants. Cross your fingers that we have a nice winter again and I won’t need to dig out a dead cocos!! :)

D97903CE-5073-4FA1-A1DB-3752CA1B6B52.jpeg

315E8D8A-DE34-4432-9402-B5786972393B.jpeg

9DFFA76B-5DFE-4018-A4F0-615EB1DA63E6.jpeg

7BADF336-98E4-483D-B4C9-EA7135324182.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

@NickJames The yard looks great.  Unfortunately, the only remedy for the ailments you are experiencing involves a hammock between two palms, a lot of rest and a stiff drink if you are so inclined. ;)

• Like 4

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

18 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

@NickJames The yard looks great.  Unfortunately, the only remedy for the ailments you are experiencing involves a hammock between two palms, a lot of rest and a stiff drink if you are so inclined. ;)

Think the Sabals can handle it!?

If they've had a good year or more in the ground, it's worth a shot ;)

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

1 hour ago, kinzyjr said:

If they've had a good year or more in the ground, it's worth a shot ;)

I’ll give it a few months. They were installed about two weeks before Hurricane Dorian. 

Luckily it didn’t landfall. They ended up leaning a bit and I pushed them back into place. They are rock solid now but will still wait a bit. The roots grew incredibly. I had to be extra careful planting some ixora and clusia around them during my backyard work as the roof “fingers” are EVERYWHERE now in those landscaped areas. I was very thankful and impressed to see how much effort they put into forming basically a brand new root system. I did get them as regenerated specimens so they did have a partial rootball intact when planted. 

• Like 2

The neighbors when you sabals were installed: Hmm interesting touch. Gotta go and prepare for Dorian now!

When everything else was installed within a very short period of time: This guy has an obsession with these palm trees, 110%!

Seriously though, it looks amazing! Nothing like that would ever survive here except your sabals! 

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

5 minutes ago, JLM said:

The neighbors when you sabals were installed: Hmm interesting touch. Gotta go and prepare for Dorian now!

When everything else was installed within a very short period of time: This guy has an obsession with these palm trees, 110%!

Seriously though, it looks amazing! Nothing like that would ever survive here except your sabals! 

People were screwing plywood into brand new stucco (I would replace a window before I would drill holes into my brand new house) while I’m outside bracing trees with 2x4s I found in the construction dumpster :)

My neighbor just had four dypsis lutescens installed and recently had a Phoenix Sylvestris and two adonidia Merrilli installed so hopefully the bug is spreading.

I gotta laugh though when they have 12gallon adonidia professionally installed and I’m putting in field grown royals on my own :) 

• Like 2

@NickJames

Your neighbors are finally getting some taste when it comes to landscaping! Although to me its better when i plant something myself because i know it was done right!

• Like 2

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

@NickJames With all of the defined boundaries, rounded edges and contrasting colors - it looks gorgeous.  Nice work!

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

13 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

@NickJames With all of the defined boundaries, rounded edges and contrasting colors - it looks gorgeous.  Nice work!

Thanks. Do you think the royals will pay my MRI bill? ;)

Ok question though. I need to find a solution to get microlife fertilizer under the stones. I can’t just put on top because my dogs eat it. Anyone know of a funnel or pipe type contraption ? 

On 4/10/2020 at 10:26 AM, sonoranfans said:

I agree, most of the larger ones here look, well, a little ratty.  Case in point, this local palm doesn't even look unhealthy per-se, just kind of ratty.  We are now a 10a climate here with about as little winter heat as any 10a climate in Florida.

The tall variety at that Steakhouse on I-Drive looks healthy and aesthetically pleasing too though.

Cocos Lake Howell Road 4-20.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Nice backyard! National Hurricane Center just upgraded it to Tropical Storm Arthur.

• Like 1

Nice update. Definitely coming along. Good to see new growth on the palms.

I have to grow my palms from seed so will take a lot longer lol.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Some updated front yard pics from tonight after mowing the lawn. The foxtail is definitely growing. It’s been in the ground just shy of a year now! Can we just build an anti-freeze/frost dome over my yard!?

D264F663-90C1-4E15-AD57-6B799FDC8A17.jpeg

F68A4DCB-260F-42E0-B235-4693A061A886.jpeg

32BEA8E1-FBD5-47D3-8DBD-B946FC2E930E.jpeg

6E21EBB1-95ED-4E54-8F58-BF7782135DD1.jpeg

• Like 8

On 4/18/2020 at 2:03 PM, NickJames said:

Updated photos as the stone continues to get placed.

MRI results came back and I have two discs herniated into my spinal column, scoliosis, and a nodule on my thyroid! Wow! All of this discovered from the strain of planting the royals and dypsis lutescens! I’m apparently 26 going on 70. Having to take it slow but getting the backyard more and more done, slowly. Focusing on the stone and non-palm small plants. Cross your fingers that we have a nice winter again and I won’t need to dig out a dead cocos!! :)

D97903CE-5073-4FA1-A1DB-3752CA1B6B52.jpeg

315E8D8A-DE34-4432-9402-B5786972393B.jpeg

9DFFA76B-5DFE-4018-A4F0-615EB1DA63E6.jpeg

7BADF336-98E4-483D-B4C9-EA7135324182.jpeg

Looks GREAT!  Do you have a yard person to keep the area covered w/rocks grass free?  Will that be you? 

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL