IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms in the California rain

DoomsDave

It’s raining it’s pouring 

it sure ain’t boring 

how about you?

2D51EE22-C009-4881-A66A-EBFDE01D1997.thumb.jpeg.d508ea405781ed912ba8b5f3c5e84730.jpeg

0D09DE75-A4BE-4AF3-A869-6A78F8B7C0FE.thumb.jpeg.10c83234013e0c323afe58faf056cc1d.jpeg

297B6A24-EDC4-4ECB-B45B-0E869E4FB770.thumb.jpeg.2c2c71038071925d47c70a6930ca7521.jpeg

EDECD80A-F8EA-40FF-9BB0-960EFACDA29F.thumb.jpeg.53c239c1975f86b1178f4cb5bd6ffc9f.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Marvelous! @DoomsDave. Just marvelous!

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

22 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Marvelous! @DoomsDave. Just marvelous!

Who am I to argue?

• Like 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

it sure ain’t boring 

how about you?

Just a constant drizzle down here.  It did add up to quite a bit though.  My little Dypsis ovobonstira was trying to hide under a Ficus dammaropsis leaf, using it as an umbrella.  April showers after the rain we received in March just isn't normal here in Southern California.

20200407-104A6181.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

20 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

it sure ain’t boring 

how about you?

2D51EE22-C009-4881-A66A-EBFDE01D1997.thumb.jpeg.d508ea405781ed912ba8b5f3c5e84730.jpeg

0D09DE75-A4BE-4AF3-A869-6A78F8B7C0FE.thumb.jpeg.10c83234013e0c323afe58faf056cc1d.jpeg

297B6A24-EDC4-4ECB-B45B-0E869E4FB770.thumb.jpeg.2c2c71038071925d47c70a6930ca7521.jpeg

EDECD80A-F8EA-40FF-9BB0-960EFACDA29F.thumb.jpeg.53c239c1975f86b1178f4cb5bd6ffc9f.jpeg

You have a real jungle going there! I like it.

• Like 1

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

Same here DD.  Just under 3 inches of rain this week here in MV. I'll take it!! My palms (and happy weeds) are loving it. Although the sun is out for now, should get another inch or so tomorrow through Friday.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

1 hour ago, Brett in Mission Viejo said:

Same here DD.  Just under 3 inches of rain this week here in MV. I'll take it!! My palms (and happy weeds) are loving it. Although the sun is out for now, should get another inch or so tomorrow through Friday.

Palmgo LIKE picture!

i could sit in your Garden of Habra-eden for hours and just stare at the palms 

Definitely been nice to get some good rain. I'm over 3 inches for the week as of now and actually had lightning and hail today. I really didn't take any pictures but I should of. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Brett in Mission Viejo said:

12 hours ago, Chris Chance said:

Definitely been nice to get some good rain. I'm over 3 inches for the week as of now and actually had lightning and hail today.

I posted this over in the weather section about the rain, but it seems appropriate here....

Lots of rain here too.  Haven't seen the updated totals yet.  After all the rain in March the palms appreciate it but I don't think the cycads and particularly the South African ones like it.   I went out and was talking to my plants last night and Herr Lehman said:  "All this rain is making me sick, I feel like I'm going to barf".  Sure enough he did.  :floor:  Er ist krank!

20200408-104A6210.jpg

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

16 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

i could sit in your Garden of Habra-eden for hours and just stare at the palms 

I often do!

Before too long, you're going to have one, too!

I took a few rain shots today. First is one of my favorite Beccariophoenix alfredii with Psudophoenix sagentii and Allagoptera brevicalyx. Next is Parajubaea sunka and Livistona chinensis. Continuing to get nice rain here all day.

20200409_144853.jpg

20200409_144954.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

It’s still raining 

Dypsis plumosa on left Kentiopsis olivifromisto the right of it, Trithrinax acanthcoma in center and Leptospermum Ruby Glow on the right 

41872D65-B56A-4112-B5DC-35D819222522.thumb.jpeg.0e8b7c024d2b915f4820f576e6908607.jpeg

• Like 4

Cocothrinax fragrans 

7BC9DB5B-8C52-4B17-A996-4D31FCF7F354.thumb.jpeg.14be0143b3d041b19efeeecb5190594f.jpeg

• Like 2

22 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Palmgo LIKE picture!

...here ya go. Way over 3 inches at this point. Relatively cold out too. Like February. Noticed some brown-spotting on some of my more tender plants. Not used to that in April.

1990632560_Palmsinrain.thumb.jpg.52f704ed490b2c2851ea40012cd8cd61.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

Caryota mitis 

DE1D5377-2046-4DD9-86B3-D07C676069B6.thumb.jpeg.2c244ffac5a7a1ddc3bcf5628542dc5f.jpeg

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Caryota mitis 

DE1D5377-2046-4DD9-86B3-D07C676069B6.thumb.jpeg.2c244ffac5a7a1ddc3bcf5628542dc5f.jpeg

And here I thought you didn't have and/or want any Caryota's

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

12 hours ago, Brett in Mission Viejo said:

...here ya go. Way over 3 inches at this point. Relatively cold out too. Like February. Noticed some brown-spotting on some of my more tender plants. Not used to that in April.

1990632560_Palmsinrain.thumb.jpg.52f704ed490b2c2851ea40012cd8cd61.jpg

Brett, it looks like we will have over 4 inches this week.

Crazy times.......:badday:

14 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Au contraire, mein Herr!

I just didn't want tipsy, single-trunked monsters that destroy homes, cars and trucks, and take out power. This one's adorable, and manageable.

Want some seeds?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Caryota mitis offers us the best of both worlds:

1. Beautiful frond structure that Caryotas are known for
  2. Manageable sized unlike their giant cousins
  3. Multi-trunked to replace ones that have flowered/died.
  • Like 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Rhopie sapida

B0FA6DCB-10D7-4225-A198-999C7791BECD.thumb.jpeg.1b32c0a98f7e4b1bbe320cea229df59e.jpeg

• Like 4

Towering Teddy Bears

Dypsis leptocheilos

0EE7E35F-EA90-43E1-A463-4BFCE72BF1EA.thumb.jpeg.f5682f23178edd5863c09d4de0626d3e.jpeg

FFDD141C-447E-4A60-8B77-C872357CFDC9.thumb.jpeg.85fcfb6eeb33cec33f9668f1d19edc93.jpeg

• Like 6

Awesome Archontophoenix tuckeri 

517797B5-E047-4015-9DE6-1CE47F019EAE.thumb.jpeg.9c32ab75ab8e6fd51b6b568e3aa5b647.jpeg

• Like 3

Dypsis saintlucei 

630386AD-BAA6-4BBA-9C55-F1EA1274EE11.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Franken Brahea 

710E178D-423F-4C07-9963-00281D4E93CF.thumb.jpeg.b5e82c0d9fec5c46bca9eac0fdfadab8.jpeg

• Like 3

Dypsis pembana

70AAE5D8-D737-4902-B4D4-14304323689B.thumb.jpeg.dec466b1970a7238efc0a362cb146fce.jpeg

• Like 4

Assorted Dypsis in front big Archontophoenix and Chambeyronia in back

DCD3F087-439C-4978-B7D5-11A0B549057D.thumb.jpeg.e6fffd20a0a02177f60fb6f7775107df.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Rain is over oh blessed rain

D35DCE66-A974-413A-A41F-31F4D6226151.thumb.jpeg.a75dd764e22dd39847263a1b223adb61.jpeg

• Like 5

Thought I'd add a couple..a young Brahea pimo and a newly opened leaf on Kentiopsis pyriformis.

IMG_0974.JPG

IMG_0981.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

No more rain. 82F and sunny!

20200414_121308.jpg

• Like 2