IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachycarpus Heat limit

csentell1924

Hello! I am curious as to what the heat limit of Trachycarpus Fortunei is? I have heard they don't like heat, so I'm wondering if my summers may be a problem. It easily gets up close to 100 and it is usually VERY humid. Would this be a problem for my windmill palms? Thanks!

@csentell1924 Typically up that far in AL, your main enemy will be cold.  If you put them under tree canopy, it will help mitigate both intense heat and extreme cold to some degree.  Putting them close to the south side of your house under an eave can help as well.

• Upvote 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I agree with kinzyjr. Typically the heat problem with Trachycarpus fortunei comes from a lack of cool down, which typically isn’t the biggest issue is colder zones.  I would keep them where they get optimal winter warmth. The heat will help regenerate any damage. 

• Upvote 1

I can't grow Trachycarpus at all here but from what I read what they struggle with is not daytime heat, including occasional 100F, but hot, humid, sweltering nights that give them no cooling relief whatsoever. My summers are 6-7 months of days in the 90s followed by nights in the upper 70s to low 80s and 100% humidity. By contrast, days in CA may reach the 90s but at night drop to the 50s, 60s, even 40s with very low humidity. That gives Trachies blessed relief. Your summers may be shorter than mine but just as ferocious. Can a Trachy deal with that? I don't know.

But I agree with @kinzyjr that winter in your area may also prove lethal to a Trachy unless you protect it.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

1 hour ago, csentell1924 said:

Hello! I am curious as to what the heat limit of Trachycarpus Fortunei is? I have heard they don't like heat, so I'm wondering if my summers may be a problem. It easily gets up close to 100 and it is usually VERY humid. Would this be a problem for my windmill palms? Thanks!

They do well in North Georgia (Atlanta) so would probably be fine from a heat perspective. Cold Im not sure

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

7 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I can't grow Trachycarpus at all here but from what I read what they struggle with is not daytime heat, including occasional 100F, but hot, humid, sweltering nights that give them no cooling relief whatsoever. My summers are 6-7 months of days in the 90s followed by nights in the upper 70s to low 80s and 100% humidity. By contrast, days in CA may reach the 90s but at night drop to the 50s, 60s, even 40s with very low humidity. That gives Trachies blessed relief. Your summers may be shorter than mine but just as ferocious. Can a Trachy deal with that? I don't know.

But I agree with @kinzyjr that winter in your area may also prove lethal to a Trachy unless you protect it.

I agree with this.  I see no signs of stress with daytime highs in the 90's or 100's if they are getting adequate water, but we always cool down into the 50's and 60's at night.  I think they like cooler nights.

But to reiterate your cold is going to be an issue.

Yes you won't have a problem with heat.  You can grow them in full sun to part shade where you are.  They like ample water and clay soil is no problem.   You will most likely have to protect them some but not all winters in your location.   I would recommend some other palm varieties for you as well such as needle palm, sabal minor, sabal brazoria, sabal Birmingham, among others.  

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

I live in hot southwest Florida and have 2 in pots outside for almost 3 years now.  Here in my area, it is the soil or neglect that kills the palm NOT the heat and humidity.  When that hot you keep up on the watering.  That simple.  Mine look fantastic.  Not sure where some people get their hands on info from.  Has nothing to do with our heat and humidity.  I think they more likely neglect it and it slowly dies.  Again, I cannot plant them in the ground.  It's either the soil or I've heard some type of nematode that kills the Trachy palms here.  My temps here starting in May are from the upper 80s then the 90s for 5 full months consistently.  Lows in the 70s.  Super humid too.  Swampy really.

Edited by Cape Garrett
  • Upvote 1

You do see them planted here in the Sonoran desert (Tucson area), but they look healthier along the Pacific coast.

Hi 85˚, Lo 51˚

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

I also had one flowering regularly with 4 foot plus of trunk in a pot next to the pool in my old house here in Florida.  Then stupid me decided to plant it in the ground and it died within the year.  Again, was perfect in the pot.  Not one for in the ground in SW Florida.   This time I have Waggies with the stiffer leaves so they never get beat up by the winds.  I even left them outside in hurricane Irma.  Not a broken leaf.  Amazing! 

Here are my 2 Waggies.  Were purchased as 1 gallon seedlings about 3 to 4 years ago.  No struggles here with the heat and humidity.

20200408_082800.jpg

20200408_082830.jpg

20200408_082945.jpg

20200408_082614.jpg

Usually, our best grown Trachycarpus are under oak canopy.  Once in a while, you get one more out in the open that grows for a long time.  This one get sun most of the day and has grown from a small palm to a less-small palm over the course of ~9 years:

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.0116908,-81.9575434,3a,75y,183.63h,70.54t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZIndjfvQNVCtZRFBMx8xYw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

2 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

Usually, our best grown Trachycarpus are under oak canopy.  Once in a while, you get one more out in the open that grows for a long time.  This one get sun most of the day and has grown from a small palm to a less-small palm over the course of ~9 years:

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.0116908,-81.9575434,3a,75y,183.63h,70.54t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZIndjfvQNVCtZRFBMx8xYw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

In my area McDonalds goes all out with landscaping.  Primarily Trachycarpus, Phormium tenax and cordylines, apparently those with good landscaping do more business.

• Like 1