IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bentinckia condapanna

realarch

Couldn't resist taking a few photos late this afternoon. Finally after many aborted attempts, it looks like they are setting seed. 

Tim

IMG_5081.jpg

IMG_5078.jpg

IMG_5079.jpg

• Like 18
  • Upvote 6

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Wow Tim, thanks. Such a beautiful palm!

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Oh so pretty! :)

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Great looking palms! 

I had no luck so far with my seeds but I got to order new ones when everything has settled down a bit.

Thank you for sharing -

best regards

Lars

Great pictures. Beautiful palms. I’m trying very hard to have success of my own with this palm. Of course my success would never be to the level of your palms there in Hawaii. Keep up the great work. I always love your garden photos.

Appreciate the comments, happy to post photos of these palms. 

I know Kim has a more than a few of these in her garden......how are they doing?

Matt, if I remember correctly, didn’t you have a couple of nice looking ones?

Thanks Greg, enjoy your garden photos as well.

Lars, good to hear your going to keep trying. I would think they would grow well in Okinawa. Hai!

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Wow, looking good Tim!  I love the color on these palms. Here’s one of my little guys on a rainy day:

937E7087-87DC-44DC-929A-99380C672A64.thumb.jpeg.076bea8b7714e129f640b7a952a13beb.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Oh yeah Jason, that’s pretty. You’ll be able to enjoy these colorful guys for a long time.

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

11 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

Wow, looking good Tim!  I love the color on these palms. Here’s one of my little guys on a rainy day:

937E7087-87DC-44DC-929A-99380C672A64.thumb.jpeg.076bea8b7714e129f640b7a952a13beb.jpeg

Nice Jason!

1 hour ago, Matt in OC said:

My prettiest one. Super easy and just unreal color, especially for SoCal. 

85F6445A-1052-4B11-A61A-0C8A0383B247.jpeg

Well grown Matt.

How long in the ground?

7 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Well grown Matt.

How long in the ground?

Thanks Jim. I think almost 5 years?

Looks pretty darn good Matt. Lookin at, instead of looking up, is a benefit. Luckily I can still look at mine from a second floor.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

@The Gergit gets a decent amount of direct sun. The back wall is the south side of the property. I’ve planted three. All three definitely want sun and hate deep shade. 

On 4/8/2020 at 8:06 AM, realarch said:

Appreciate the comments, happy to post photos of these palms. 

I know Kim has a more than a few of these in her garden......how are they doing?

Tim

Thanks for asking, Tim. I walk under them every day but neglected to look up until reading this thread. How could I have missed the beginnings of seed production?!?

These five were planted in March 2012. 
789BCDEF-C2D9-4B7A-913A-D8FDE483CBBC.thumb.jpeg.51b04943be1a4086f95ba041b41b9148.jpeg

EED5D1D1-796C-45A1-A712-DD1D26AF9B28.thumb.jpeg.c511b0d4601d3c7d00d08fe6b994f261.jpeg

E7F9A3F7-FDF4-46D4-BAB1-28949D324C3F.thumb.jpeg.8a30cee8a6a150cbe7ea49f6583f2751.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Beautiful palms all! I stuck my three seedlings on a sunny slope about a year and a half ago as they were sulking in pots after Hurricane Maria.

It’ll be years before they look like yours but now I have a preview.

Thanks!

Cindy Adair

Kim, amazing what happens when you 'look up.' Guilty as charged here as well. 

Here's a pic of your garden I took in the summer of 2014, comparisons compress time in surprising ways. 

Tim

kims_1217.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Cindy, these should do well where you are, give them a bit of time......explosion imminent!

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Cindy, you will be surprised how fast your little Tincks take off! They are so fun to watch!

Tim, thanks for sharing that photo! Wow, they were so cute at that size. :wub2: 

Kim Cyr