IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sylvester Palm fronds not completely opening up

hardball28

I have a Sylvester Palm that was transplanted 2 years ago.  Some of the fronds coming up are not opening all of the way.  Is there a reason for this?

sylverster1.jpg

sylverster2.jpg

Edited by hardball28
new photo

Boron deficiency? 

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

I had something similar happen to a Sylvester transplant, and also to a Spindle palm.  The Spindle appeared to have the leaflet tips not quite "fused" together.  Since it was at waist level I just carefully peeled apart some of the tips, and the rest of the leaf opened normally within a few days.  It's pushed out several leaves since, and all have been normal. 

The Sylvester had an unusually stiff brown "sheath" that was stuck to the leaflets.  I peeled it back carefully and it also opened normally in a few days.  It did that last spring and has pushed out 10+ leaves since that have all also been normal.

Both palms did get a good dose of palm-specific fertilizer in the meantime, so it could have been a transient nutrient deficiency like boron.  Here's a good overview on boron.  If you see any leaves with the "accordion" shape then your palm definitely needs extra boron in the fertilizer!

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep264

I have started using this fertilizer but only about 2 months ago.    Says it has .08% Boron in it.  I live in Houston and we get lots of rain.  I have read that heavy rains will leach the boron out of the soil.  Does anyone have any experience with this type of fertilizer?    If we get heavy rains, what is the safest way to replenish the soil with boon?  Is there a better fertilizer to use?

Palmgain.jpg

Palmgain analysis.jpg

Edited by hardball28

PalmGain is usually highly recommended around here, though I don't know about the mixture for your soil in TX.  Keep in mind that if it is a nutrient deficiency it'll take a while before new growth looks "normal."  The spears for the next leaves are probably at least partially formed now inside the trunk of the palm.  So it may take 1-2 sets of new fronds before you'd see a definite improvement.

It's puzzling because, as you can see in the photos, there are several new fronds in the last month that opened up perfectly.  They looked a little shorter, but not too bad.

If new fronds are getting smaller that is also a sign of nutrient deficiency.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

17 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

If new fronds are getting smaller that is also a sign of nutrient deficiency.

Almost all palms I plant in full sun that come from a nursery where they are grown in partial or filtered light put out shorter (and denser) leaves. I always attributed this to the change in the amount of light they are getting. After a year or so they start putting out larger leaves due to grow.