IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My first glass of coconut water from my tree

pj_orlando_z9b

My coconut tree fruited for the first time in September 2019. 6 months later I cut my first one open. My understanding is to drink when young so I think everything is good. lol. Very sweet. Who needs long lines at the supermarket...I'm self sufficient. :P

20200404_114348.jpg

• Like 16

Perfect sized tree for harvesting. Awesome. Now that’s a coconut even I could love.

Tim

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Wow that is a great looking coconut, indeed it must be dwarf to fruit so much with so little trunk and without company. It amazes me how the fronds look so big for a dwarf. The water is also. very sweet, what is it not to love?! Consider sending some of those cocos, it must have great genes.

PS: I heard the best time to pick them is around 7/8 months, for the best water.

Edited by Cluster
  • Like 2

What a great feeling now all you need is a splash of rum and maybe a lime to celebrate congratulations

• Like 1

Wonderful news @pj_orlando_z9b!  Hoping to get some viable coconuts off of mine in the near future.

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

On 4/4/2020 at 6:41 PM, Cluster said:

Wow that is a great looking coconut, indeed it must be dwarf to fruit so much with so little trunk and without company. It amazes me how the fronds look so big for a dwarf. The water is also. very sweet, what is it not to love?! Consider sending some of those cocos, it must have great genes.

PS: I heard the best time to pick them is around 7/8 months, for the best water.

It's why I struggled for awhile the type because of the frond size but I just think it is very robust. The years-to-fruit confirmed it too. I guess my fertilizer regiment must be working.

On 4/4/2020 at 10:15 PM, akamu said:

What a great feeling now all you need is a splash of rum and maybe a lime to celebrate congratulations

I definitely added rum! 

14 hours ago, donalt said:

very impressive ! is this Malayan dwarf ?

Yes. It fruited in about 6 yrs. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Yes. It fruited in about 6 yrs. 

Wunderbar! And how large and old was it at the time you planted it?  

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

I know the feeling - had it last year! I enjoyed every bite in to the first coconut harvested from one of my own coconut palms- it tasted so great!!

Btw. your palm looks spectacular!

best regards 

Lars

• Like 2

On 4/4/2020 at 11:05 AM, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Here is the source 

20200328_105003.jpg

Looks like a VERY ROBUST and healthy Green Malayan Dwarf.  I wish mine would look so good and fruit like that.

• Like 2

On 4/5/2020 at 11:55 PM, GottmitAlex said:

Wunderbar! And how large and old was it at the time you planted it?  

This is my timeline.  Rough patch in 2017.  Hurricane (which gave it it's lean) followed by a hard freeze 3 months later.  It's a trooper though!

coconut_trends.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

On 4/7/2020 at 10:31 PM, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Looks like a VERY ROBUST and healthy Green Malayan Dwarf.  I wish mine would look so good and fruit like that.

It is a balance of fertilizer and luck to be honest.  I could easily have lost it in the freeze.  I also fertilize 4x a year: Jan, Apr, Jul, Oct.  Some say that is too much but it works for my palms.  Good luck!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I noticed on Easter, it is already sending up the first set of flowers.  This big guy doesn't stop!  The coconuts you see are from flowers last Sep/Oct.

20200412_170223.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

It is a balance of fertilizer and luck to be honest.  I could easily have lost it in the freeze.  I also fertilize 4x a year: Jan, Apr, Jul, Oct.  Some say that is too much but it works for my palms.  Good luck!

PJ,

I also fertilize 4 times per year too, but I do it in Feb., May, Aug., and Nov.  You have the added advantage that the normal daytime high/low in Orlando in Jan. I believe is 71F/49F, whereas I estimate my normal high/low in Jan. to be 65F/50F, so you have considerably more daytime warmth on average in Jan. than I do, and your annual rainfall there is probably about 20 to 25 inches more per year than what I normally get here.  My average annual rainfall is about 30 inches.  With that said, they HAVE been known to fruit here, but not as good as yours is fruiting.  The ones that are adequately watered in the Rio Grande Valley to my south due fruit quite well though.

John

• Like 2