IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Portland suburbs neighborhood tour

Chester B

Here’s a few pics I tried to take discreetly while walking my dogs at lunch. Our HOA was built in 1993 and is composed of over 100 homes. We’re located in the southeastern suburbs. Most of the palms were planted at a later date. As you can see not much variety but some nice specimens nonetheless. 99% of palms you see in the Portland area are Trachycarpus. 

1817992E-8FF0-4A20-B6D0-068BD5FE2F2F.jpeg

712BE29C-56B2-45CB-889D-41DDA9F11D4F.jpeg

99145F30-0722-429F-BBE6-CB4877BF2E38.jpeg

10182E81-DE74-4188-9B31-AA8752E052F3.jpeg

• Like 6

The last one is a welcome departure. Chaemerops humilis. I’ve already told my neighbor I’ll be happy to fertilize it with some palmgain 

E9210B76-9F5F-4EC0-BCBB-D7010A894D1B.jpeg

B001BB14-0FE2-4367-A035-0125771BEC0A.jpeg

22F279D9-07A5-49F3-A340-715827588D39.jpeg

• Like 4

And here’s a couple of my own larger palms. 

F06CCFC4-FB01-4C69-8C43-67ED95008CD7.jpeg

E444FA4C-853F-4382-8A53-DD9D52DBD152.jpeg

• Like 11

Nice, are there others that work in your climate but just aren’t common? I run into that in Houston. The Nurseries here just want to sell low maintenance plants that won’t die in their inventory, 

Edited by Meangreen94z

1 hour ago, Meangreen94z said:

Nice, are there others that work in your climate but just aren’t common? I run into that in Houston. The Nurseries here just want to sell low maintenance plants that won’t die in their inventory, 

Yep. I have have 12 species in the ground and have more that went out this spring. Realistically I think around 20 species can be done with proper siting. Maybe more.  If you include hybrids that number may be a little higher.

What you typically find are fortunei and Chaemerops, after that Butia and pretty much everything else is very rare to come across. A good portion of my palms are mail order or grown from seed.  

• Like 1

@Chester B looks great.  That little touch of tropical in an otherwise temperate climate.   When I retire, a while from now, I plan on looking at the PNW.  Hear it's beautiful and since living in Florida the past 18 years,  I think I can handle a climate like yours.  Time will tell.

• Like 2