IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Biggest Foxtail ?

greysrigging

On 4/10/2020 at 12:26 PM, Sr. Califas said:

Not the biggest I've seen, but maybe the biggest in the city. These are at me parent's house, a couple miles south of me. I think in our climate they might only survive against the house facing south. Two others smaller ones died planted away from their house. And everyone that I have planted at my house have died after living for at least three years in large pots that I was able to move against the house during winter. 

DSCN7240.JPG

There is a beautiful specimen on 16th street between campus and Euclid. It is very thick and healthy looking from the street and is wedged between king palms and giant bird of paradise. That palm inspired me to plant the 2 I have in my garden.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 6:26 AM, Jeff985 said:

Stumbled across this one in Galveston a few days ago. It looks like it was a double but the freeze of 2018 made it a single. If you look close you’ll see it has fruit. 

E0D4D71F-A15D-44AB-8638-2E746B22B976.png

Wow! I believe even some queens were killed there in 2018. What a survivor!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

Wow! I believe even some queens were killed there in 2018. What a survivor!

I’m not sure of any queens dying there from that freeze. If there were any they would have been unhealthy going into it. Foxtails did pretty well in Galveston. Some royals survived it as well. Galveston bottomed out at 25 degrees. A few weather stations reported a low of 27. 

Edited by Jeff985
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Jeff985 said:

I’m not sure of any queens dying there from that freeze. If there were any they would have been unhealthy going into it. Foxtails did pretty well in Galveston. Some royals survived it as well. Galveston bottomed out at 25 degrees. A few weather stations reported a low of 27. 

hmmm, I was under the impression that most were damaged and many killed from some article.  I saw this photo from Galveston on a different PT thread a while back after the freeze, though after doing some street-viewing it seems most weren't damaged very severely.

7ELV4vX.jpg

3 minutes ago, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

hmmm, I was under the impression that most were damaged and many killed from some article.  I saw this photo from Galveston on a different PT thread a while back after the freeze, though after doing some street-viewing it seems most weren't damaged very severely.

There were a lot that looked like that in Houston, although most recovered. In Galveston I don’t remember seeing any queens damaged very badly. There are several foxtails and royals that survived in Galveston. I just bought a royal that survived that freeze In a nursery  pot. At least that’s what the store told me. Norfolk pines were hit the hardest in Galveston. Only a few planted close to buildings made it through undamaged. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Wendy here have been growing foxtails for 7 years i agree slow to start and still learning. Better get some fertilizer on mine coz we starting wrt season biggest problem I have had is cane grubs they look like maggots then eat their way sumhow to the crown entering in the trunk hopefully I have sorted that out this wet season cheers Wendy mackay qld OZ