IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Anybody know anything about evergreen, non conifer bushes?

RyManUtah

What is it? Grows pretty fast and stays in green leaf all winter. I was going to replace them at some point, by may keep a few because the birds like them. id like to research them further if they can be identified. 

06A28583-090E-44D8-B71F-BD9D2E6CCE94.thumb.jpeg.0945c7a7c90b39fe53d5a795a7380d56.jpeg

F80D0850-81F1-49F8-A5F8-9A164999C71B.thumb.jpeg.20d589a2a44e759b7a105743f9f40758.jpeg

920591A7-2E4A-43CA-8F12-5C8677979657.thumb.jpeg.de4e1e4d8f521f77ea9d9a064118d824.jpeg

C366E50F-32F2-49EA-8ECB-8C4BC4165E9F.thumb.jpeg.b780eac02b7fb16473fb09b28f4800dd.jpeg

1 hour ago, RyManUtah said:

What is it? Grows pretty fast and stays in green leaf all winter. I was going to replace them at some point, by may keep a few because the birds like them. id like to research them further if they can be identified. 

06A28583-090E-44D8-B71F-BD9D2E6CCE94.thumb.jpeg.0945c7a7c90b39fe53d5a795a7380d56.jpeg

F80D0850-81F1-49F8-A5F8-9A164999C71B.thumb.jpeg.20d589a2a44e759b7a105743f9f40758.jpeg

920591A7-2E4A-43CA-8F12-5C8677979657.thumb.jpeg.de4e1e4d8f521f77ea9d9a064118d824.jpeg

C366E50F-32F2-49EA-8ECB-8C4BC4165E9F.thumb.jpeg.b780eac02b7fb16473fb09b28f4800dd.jpeg

Thinking Euonymus.. Not sure which variety though..  Indian Hawthorn ( Raphiolepis) is another possibility if it produces blue colored berries/ pink/ whitish flowers.

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Gonzer said:

Euonymus.

I was thinking the same thing.  They actually look pretty decent, I'm not usually a fan of them.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone. Per suggestions and research I’ve identified as Euonymus japonicus, based on the inconspicuous flowers I found on them. 

I’m thinking I want to keep a few for fullness of greenery and height. It’s under power lines so I’m limited to what can be planted. I also want some shorter shade moving palms (needle, minor, etc.) mixed with flowers in this area. Should be a nice contrast. 

what I actually plant will depend on what type of watering I can run back there. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RyManUtah said:

Thanks everyone. Per suggestions and research I’ve identified as Euonymus japonicus, based on the inconspicuous flowers I found on them. 

I’m thinking I want to keep a few for fullness of greenery and height. It’s under power lines so I’m limited to what can be planted. I also want some shorter shade moving palms (needle, minor, etc.) mixed with flowers in this area. Should be a nice contrast. 

what I actually plant will depend on what type of watering I can run back there. 

If you decide to remove most/ all,  or just add something different, check out Mexican Bird of Paradise, Caesalpinia mexicana. Can't say whether or not they'd stay evergreen up there but supposedly hardy to 15F ..will re-sprout if cut down by from lower temps.. Can get to about 12-15ft in height here but can easily be kept around 8-10 ft in height.. Ferny foliage is pretty tropical looking, and you get the yellow flowers on and off most of the year. Fast grower if watered regularly, otherwise slower, but not " slow". Drought tolerant.  Prune occasionally only to shape.

Little leaf Cordia, Cordia parvifolia is another unusual large  evergreen/ mostly evergreen shrub/ small tree-like plant to look up. Grow fast during the spring/ summer, esp if watered once every week/ other week. Super drought tolerant regardless. Hardy to about 10F. Bright white flowers are produced in bursts following rain/ higher humidity. Might require a little pruning to shape but easy.. Used all over Phoenix along the highways ( most are wayy over pruned though ).

• Upvote 2

On 4/3/2020 at 11:04 AM, Silas_Sancona said:

If you decide to remove most/ all,  or just add something different, check out Mexican Bird of Paradise, Caesalpinia mexicana. Can't say whether or not they'd stay evergreen up there but supposedly hardy to 15F ..will re-sprout if cut down by from lower temps..

That’s one I’ve been eyeballing. You don’t see many around here, but they are all over Mesquite (3-4F 30 year average difference). But then again, they can also grow Phoenix dactylifera to size and we generally can’t. I think they would do okay here. We have a lot of Caesalpinia gilliesii around, although not evergreen. I like the “torch” color of the mexicana blossoms. 
Another I was also considering utilizing for fruit, is Feijoa sellowiana. I’ve heard mixed reviews on keeping them trimmed to bush size. Do you have an opinion on that? 

12 minutes ago, RyManUtah said:

That’s one I’ve been eyeballing. You don’t see many around here, but they are all over Mesquite (3-4F 30 year average difference). But then again, they can also grow Phoenix dactylifera to size and we generally can’t. I think they would do okay here. We have a lot of Caesalpinia gilliesii around, although not evergreen. I like the “torch” color of the mexicana blossoms. 
Another I was also considering utilizing for fruit, is Feijoa sellowiana. I’ve heard mixed reviews on keeping them trimmed to bush size. Do you have an opinion on that? 

Pineapple Guava would be a great choice.. with being able to use the flowers and fruit an added bonus.  Pretty easy to keep pruned also. My grandparents have two in their yard, one of which sits fairly close to the telephone pole located on that side of the yard. That ones kept trimmed and at about 6ft in height. The other, about 10ft and only occasionally pruned. Only issue keeping the first one shorter is it doesn't flower/ fruit as much. My grandma would get a bit annoyed when the gardener would prune it too much, lol. They look great when thinned out/ raised a bit so you can see the trunks/ have some clearance below to plant short stuff that will handle some shade.

I like C. gilliesii but yea, they're a bit wispy looking compared to mexicana, or some of the other Caesalpinias w/ denser foliage.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Pineapple Guava would be a great choice.. with being able to use the flowers and fruit an added bonus.  Pretty easy to keep pruned also. My grandparents have two in their yard, one of which sits fairly close to the telephone pole located on that side of the yard. That ones kept trimmed and at about 6ft in height. The other, about 10ft and only occasionally pruned. Only issue keeping the first one shorter is it doesn't flower/ fruit as much. My grandma would get a bit annoyed when the gardener would prune it too much, lol. They look great when thinned out/ raised a bit so you can see the trunks/ have some clearance below to plant short stuff that will handle some shade.

I like C. gilliesii but yea, they're a bit wispy looking compared to mexicana, or some of the other Caesalpinias w/ denser foliage.

Thanks for the input! That’s what I was thinking, raised with truck exposed, similarly to current hedge. Ideally keep them around 8-10’ tall, undecided on density.  The back wall is only 5’ tall. So it will get some sun at that height. It’s my only shaded area Out back due to the block wall so I want to utilize the underneath for shade species. 

I agree with C. Gilliesii. They look nice in July, but slightly ridiculous in the wind haha. I like the denser varieties better myself. The blossoms on the mexicanas I’ve seen in Nevada are huge too. Very stunning. 

ideally I want a few varieties for contrast and or color.