IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Royal ID

Jeff985

I bought this yesterday.  I know royals are iffy here but for $200 I couldn’t say no. Especially since my wife’s birthday is Tuesday and this is what she wanted. They have done pretty well in Galveston over the last 30 years a lot of them, including this one survived the hard freeze of Jan 2018. Living on Galveston bay my temperatures on the cold winter nights is typically only a degree or two colder than Galveston but with more day time heating, so again. Worth a shot. The guy that sold it to me referred to it as a Cuban royal (roystonea regia). I’m not sure if that’s accurate. I don’t have a lot of experience with roystoneas, but the regias I’ve seen even in smaller pots had fatter trunks and longer leaves. I guess this could be stunted from being in the pot for too long. He said he’s had it there for 3 years. But I’ve read that regias have black specs on the petioles which this doesn’t. Any ideas?

8B9F9459-2F3C-4CFC-8DE1-151803DC2F19.jpeg

F3FE4E7A-EBC3-4AF0-BF84-C770C5F76B19.jpeg

2D101A4C-BC50-458A-80D5-8B0A630B50FE.jpeg

• Like 4

It’s like a bonsai royal...cool. Easier to protect in cooler winters and you get the royal look at a lower vantage point! I think its most likely a regular roystonea regia, just stunted from a long time in the pot. 

I hope it lasts you a while! It’s very cool!

• Upvote 1

Milwaukee, WI to Ocala, FL

I’d say Regia and stunted from pot growth. Once in the ground with the summer heat and water, watch her fatten up quickly!

Also, Roystonea are tougher than you think! Mine  have seen 25f with about 50% burn over all but you wouldn’t know it by mid summer. They pump out new growth!

• Upvote 1

Regia do have  black spots on the crown shafts R. borinquena do not have the spots and are a nice lime green color and there fronds are a bit shorter hard to tell from your pic but that's what I think it could be. Make sure you plant it low and bury those roots it will really fatten up that way and it's going to be thirsty so give it plenty to drink . I did this with a R.regia that had been in a pot too long and the trunk fattened up alot. Anyway 1st pic R. Borinquena 2nd pic r regia with spots hope this helps aloha. 

15855155922386037003369135278142.jpg

15855156478825146137899136977680.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, akamu said:

Regia do have  black spots on the crown shafts R. borinquena do not have the spots and are a nice lime green color and there fronds are a bit shorter hard to tell from your pic but that's what I think it could be. Make sure you plant it low and bury those roots it will really fatten up that way and it's going to be thirsty so give it plenty to drink . I did this with a R.regia that had been in a pot too long and the trunk fattened up alot. Anyway 1st pic R. Borinquena 2nd pic r regia with spots hope this helps aloha. 

15855156478825146137899136977680.jpg

Thanks for the tips. Whatever it is I’m pretty pumped about it. Other than the fact I can’t figure out where to put it. The spot I had in mind isn’t going to work. I spent all day digging a huge hole 45” wide 18” deep, just to find a gas line. I moved over a little and dug a new hole just to find a water line. The only other spot I have is in my front yard but I’m afraid it will be too much shade. 

MG’s Roystoneas also have a giant hotel protecting them.  The pic below is one growing away from the building, I suspect it’s freeze damage, but quien sabes.  I think I recognize the nursery, I’ve picked up some cool stuff there. Anyway, I will say a special prayer that yours does well as I will quickly follow suit if it does!

72D5140E-B367-4792-9B20-D1AF199B02D2.jpeg

6 minutes ago, topwater said:

MG’s Roystoneas also have a giant hotel protecting them.  The pic below is one growing away from the building, I suspect it’s freeze damage, but quien sabes.  I think I recognize the nursery, I’ve picked up some cool stuff there. Anyway, I will say a special prayer that yours does well as I will quickly follow suit if it

2018 was definitely bad. Worst since 1989. According to the guy I bought it from this one would have survived it though. He said he has had it there for 3 years and they don’t have a greenhouse to move plants into. 

According to iCloud, the picture was taken in 2016, I haven’t been back since then.  In other words, it wasn’t the freeze that I will not mention that caused the damage.  I’m not trying to be debbie downer,  but I think the 1-2degree difference between the island and mainland can be a dealbreaker for 9b borderline palms.   

Edited by topwater

Wow

great thread

If it is, or could be, a regia,give it lots of space especially vertical.

Especially vertical.

And your neck some glorious flexibility!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

16 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Wow

great thread

If it is, or could be, a regia,give it lots of space especially vertical.

Especially vertical.

And your neck some glorious flexibility!

Thanks Dave. Any thoughts about shade. The spot I’m now forced to put it will have a large oak tree about 15 feet south of it so this time of year it doesn’t really get sun until the afternoon. It should get better in a month or two as the sun angle changes. I’ve been thinking about getting rid of the oak anyway. It’s a water oak so it loses its leaves in the winter and provides no protection. I just wasn’t planning on getting rid of it yet. Other projects are higher on the priority list. 

1 minute ago, topwater said:

Unique microclimate.  Dave has some monsters, maybe he’ll share. 

E0D6748D-590C-4025-8354-8227D9298AFE.jpeg

Kill

kill

muah hahaha

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thanks Dave. IMHO, you need full sun, canopy is useless here, but anything to break the wind through our “blue northers” would be beyond great.  That’s what MG has that we don’t. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, topwater said:

Thanks Dave. IMHO, you need full sun, canopy is useless here, but anything to break the wind through our “blue northers” would be beyond great.  That’s what MG has that we don’t. 

The ones on the west side of the pyramid don’t have anything blocking the north winds. And now that I think about it, they have morning shade also. Probably not for much longer though. They’re about to be taller than the pyramid. 

313E9D68-25E7-43B9-BB7E-3B5E09888E6A.png

• Like 2

I have a soft spot for giant fan palms, but those  knock it out of the park for a pinnate palm. Maybe only Jubaea is cooler. 

The royals at MG are glorious , I would have to agree that a Jubaea around here would be a thing of beauty. 

T J 

It’s finally home. Now that I’ve been able to examine it more thoroughly and I know what to look for thanks to @akamu, I’m convinced it’s a regia. It does have the black specs on the crownshaft. 

DF2B7C79-8960-491D-AC96-FB078CC11CF7.jpeg

E63046FA-2DB0-4A40-8BD7-43835EA01E63.jpeg

CC09ADF0-8405-4DCC-8206-736B90C00CB7.jpeg

• Like 5

looks great Jeff that Royal is going to take off now that it's in the ground For those who aren't familiar with a website called Married to plants it has a great article written about planting your palms a little deeper and keeping the bottom Roots covered with mulch   Len  Who has an amazing Garden runs the site and it is a wealth of knowledge from an experienced grower on many topics it's a fun read. Enjoy 

14 minutes ago, akamu said:

looks great Jeff that Royal is going to take off now that it's in the ground For those who aren't familiar with a website called Married to plants it has a great article written about planting your palms a little deeper and keeping the bottom Roots covered with mulch   Len  Who has an amazing Garden runs the site and it is a wealth of knowledge from an experienced grower on many topics it's a fun read. Enjoy 

Thanks. I took your advice and planted it a little deeper than I usually do. I gave it a healthy serving of palm gain and lots of water.