IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Brahea Armata from seedling to small palm

Palmfarmer

I am just wondering how long it would take under good conditions for a seedling of this specimen to get around 20-25 cm of trunk and 80cm overall. Basicly i small palm. Some here on the forum say they are really fast growers, but every other place claims the opposite. Is brahea growing faster and faster as it ages maybe? 

I've grown these from seed and to reach your spec, here in AZ, took about 8 years.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

32 minutes ago, aztropic said:

I've grown these from seed and to reach your spec, here in AZ, took about 8 years.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

thanks for the info. was there a point where it all of a sudden started growing faster? 

Armatas want heat and love sun.  They are medium growers in my experience.  These were among my favorite palms when I lived in arizona.  At the edges of the day they are still "lit" with color, and the color in some of them is among the most intense power blue blue palms Ive seen along with copernicia hospita.  Here are mine 10 years ago when I left.  they were 24" box size and in the ground for about 4-5 y ears at this time

braheablue.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 4

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

5 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

Armatas want heat and love sun.  They are medium growers in my experience.  These were among my favorite palms when I lived in arizona.  At the edges of the day they are still "lit" with color, and the color in some of them is among the most intense power blue blue palms Ive seen along with copernicia hospita.  Here are mine 10 years ago when I left.  they were 24" box size and in the ground for about 4-5 y ears at this time

braheablue.jpg

Yes they should grow just as fast here then, was 38c on tuesday.! Wow beatiful palms, how much did you pay for them when small? 

I paid around $125-150 USD each for 24" box trees, $50 for 15 gallon size( I had 4 more than shown here).  The 15 gallon size seemed to grow very well.  These are quite desert adapted, not quite s good as washingtonia filifera, similar to phoenix dactylifera in heat and dry tolerance.  They do not like the humidity of florida, the survivors here look awful by comparison.  I never got to see the gorgeous white inflorescences these palms put out but Im sure they are flowering now.

Tom Blank

Will definitly buy one when i see one coming my way and plant a really fat Filifera besides it once it gets some size. I have seen them grow together at the same size in habitat and it looks amazing. 

Edited by Palmfarmer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think that armatas and filiferas and perhaps livistona rigida would be very well adapted to your high desert.  Its always good to have some lndscape palms that thrive without lots of care.  Then you can pick a few that need extra care and concentrate on them more to see how they do in your yard.  I always regretted that I never grew W Filifera in my arizona yard.  I was afraid it would be too big.  So I listen less on what they tell me is too big for a "private" yard.  My one minor regret is not picking up a tahina when they arived 10+ years ago.  I didnt like the fact that they die after flowering and are huge removal issue at that time.  By the time it died it would be likely someone elses problem, not mine.

• Upvote 2

Tom Blank

8 minutes ago, sonoranfans said:

My one minor regret is not picking up a tahina when they arived 10+ years ago.  I didnt like the fact that they die after flowering and are huge removal issue at that time.  By the time it died it would be likely someone elses problem, not mine.

I love this thinking as I have been planting some questionable palms at my current house that we know isnt our forever home =) Next owners problem haha 

T J 

In my case it is my forever home.  I expect it may take a small tahina 80+ years to mature and die here.  Not my problem. 

Tom Blank

9 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

I think that armatas and filiferas and perhaps livistona rigida would be very well adapted to your high desert.  Its always good to have some lndscape palms that thrive without lots of care.  Then you can pick a few that need extra care and concentrate on them more to see how they do in your yard.  I always regretted that I never grew W Filifera in my arizona yard.  I was afraid it would be too big.  So I listen less on what they tell me is too big for a "private" yard.  My one minor regret is not picking up a tahina when they arived 10+ years ago.  I didnt like the fact that they die after flowering and are huge removal issue at that time.  By the time it died it would be likely someone elses problem, not mine.

Yes they even grow pretty fast in the winter here, (way faster in winter than Robustas) Pure Filiferas are very underated and beatiful palms. I have 2 at the place i rent one of them had some problems, but is coming back right now but the other one is spitting out leaves like it is no tomorrow. yes those are some really nice trees. Phoenix is also very good for this climate. What i am conteplating doing is renting a car and driving down to Mazatlan and buy palms from the nurseries because i know they have better stuff there.

13 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

In my case it is my forever home.  I expect it may take a small tahina 80+ years to mature and die here.  Not my problem. 

So when you putting one in the ground? 

T J 

HAHA I no longer have the room for a 35' wide palm.  I will have to enjoy the tahina of other growers.   Im in a understory phase, with one or two spots left for medium sized palms.  I overplanted my yard in terms of what got big at the same time and how close it was to others.  As it grew up I can lant under the palm canopy.  So now I am looking for colorful part shade crownshafts.  I do have some small copernicia hospitas and a sunny spot left for them.  Sometimes I wish I had a bigger yard, but when it comes time for the work, I'm glad I dont.  As your palms get size they grow more leaves per year and the leaves are bigger.  Some palms have to be trimmed, burt fortunately some just drop them for you.  The maintenance work load gets greater over time to keep a property up.  So I will enjoy the tahina or talipot palms of others.   Were I 30 years old and just buying a house, I would be going for a larger lot and some of those monster fans!

Tom Blank