IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachycarpus in pots

palm789

Hi since I cant plant one, if I buy one can I keep it in a pot long term?if so what's best way to care for it.thanks.

Wow lots to add here. Yes in a pot is fine. As long as the pot isn’t too large. For its size they are super root sensitive in pots. Really good draining soil I use coco coir and perlite my own mix 

they root rot easily. So becareful but when they get going I’ve seen them pump out fronds almost one a week 

They do fine in pots.  Here are 2 of my big ones.  They have been in these pots for 3 years.  I have many in pots.  They grow much slower in a pot though.   These pots are 3 foot tall and about 30" diameter.  The palms have full size diameter trunks of about 2'.

IMG_1239.JPG

IMG_1697.JPG

IMG_1547.jpg

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Crikey, mate it looks like it gets cold there. Sheesh.

So that's what 7a america looks like!

Yes, I see that you get summer there too, but your winter would kill me (and all of my palms).

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

On 3/27/2020 at 6:23 PM, Allen said:

They do fine in pots.  Here are 2 of my big ones.  They have been in these pots for 3 years.  I have many in pots.  They grow much slower in a pot though.   These pots are 3 foot tall and about 30" diameter.  The palms have full size diameter trunks of about 2'.

IMG_1239.JPG

IMG_1697.JPG

IMG_1547.jpg

@Allen do you keep the pots out year round?

1 hour ago, Cape Garrett said:

@Allen do you keep the pots out year round?

I just take them in the garage if temps go under 20F which is about 2-4 weeks here depending on the year.  Basically January but last year they basically stayed out all year except for one week.  They do much better planted here though as I planted out a smaller one at the same time and it is now larger than the ones in the pots.  Last year I hand dug some of the potting soil out carefully to replace it as it had been in there for 3 years.  Here is a pic of the roots.  Remember these pots are almost 3' wide.

IMG_2368.jpg

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F