IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What kind of rock would you put here?

NickJames

@NickJames Here are some examples of decorative rock solutions. 

http://landscapesolutionsflorida.com/?page_id=1455

In particular, cap rocks and coral rocks can add interest and give you more of a coastal feel.  Another idea I liked was using the flat side of retaining wall rocks to display ID tags for your palms.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I myself would use Firelite gravel ( normally 1/2" -roughly 2" sized rock.. Usually comes bagged ) w/ some variously- sized cap rock/ Oolite boulders  Firelite looks almost like Lava Rock ( just as light as well ) but is earth-toned, not red or black. Really nice stuff.. Took two bags w/ me when i left FL since it isn't sold out west. Need to get more, eventually, somehow.. lol.  ..And don't waste your time ( and $$ ) on weed fabric ( between the gravel, if you lay some.. and the soil ), absolutely worthless for controlling weeds there. Learned that the hard way.

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit

As a geologist, I say go for some Metamorphic juxtaposition!  Find yourself a nice big pink Glacial Erratic composed of Sioux Quartzite.  It will stand out due to size and color and all of your neighbors will be all "WTF? Where did he even get that?!?" 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

How about this?  Perhaps it is a bit out of scale. :winkie:

When I first read about this artwork I thought it was the most stupid concept possible, but when I visited the work it was actually very interesting and engaging,

https://collections.lacma.org/node/424258

• Like 3

San Francisco, California

I think that if it is big anything will do, the size gives it the interest,

but as it becomes smaller it needs more of another intrinsic interest, like colour or form or texture.

Or get a bigish cheap flatish rock and drill or carve an irregularly shaped hole in it,

I don't know why but a rock with a hole in it is always interesting.

• Like 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

This is the kind of look I had imagined.  Smaller shale or river rocks as the foundation with coral rocks to highlight your specimen plantings.

Edgewater Beach on Lake Parker - Lakeland, FL

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

23 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

This is the kind of look I had imagined.  Smaller shale or river rocks as the foundation with coral rocks to highlight your specimen plantings.

Edgewater Beach on Lake Parker - Lakeland, FL

Went with your suggestion kind of. Had to do river rocks because shale becomes a mess with dogs running around and playing. See pic from other day. Lol

will get coral rocks as well. 

94D6684F-2B4B-40D0-8F31-AE80B48462C3.jpeg

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 2:36 AM, Palmfarmer said:

What is the clumping palms? 

Dypsis lutescens (found often in the houseplant section sold as areca palms)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NickJames said:

Dypsis lutescens (found often in the houseplant section sold as areca palms)

they are looking awesome. I should have recognized since i have one myself also outside 

1 inch white river rock looks good for availability in our area. Pebble junction in Sanford has 1inch  river Jack's,  IMO are the nicest rocks out there

3 hours ago, Reeverse said:

1 inch white river rock looks good for availability in our area. Pebble junction in Sanford has 1inch  river Jack's,  IMO are the nicest rocks out there

Love them, but the quarry is shut down apparently and the train car coming in with new inventory only had the small ones. So I took what I could get LOL. 

• Like 1

Turned out great, really clean look and the pines in the swamp gives it some Nice contrast as well. 

What other palms do you have in your collection? 

3 hours ago, Palmfarmer said:

Turned out great, really clean look and the pines in the swamp gives it some Nice contrast as well. 

What other palms do you have in your collection? 

Between front yard, side yard, and backyard I have:

1 bismarckia nobilis

1 wodyetia bifurcata

2 Phoenix Roebellini

1 Syagrus romanzoffiana X schoffel

Phoenix sylvestris

15 Serenoa repens

Chamaerops humilis

8 dypsis lutescens 

6 sabal palms

4 roystonea regia

1 yellow Malayan dwarf cocos