IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Satakentia Liukiuensis then and now

Cape Garrett

Hey all my palm lover friends.  It's  been a REALLY long time since I've posted.  Started to catch up a bit.  So I figured I would share the palm that I shared on here back in July 2017.  The first picture is a screenshot from the original post.  The others show what the palm looks like today.  Keep in mind this was planted in May 2017 and went through Irma.  Seems to be a slow grower but healthy.  Pure bright shade all Winter and gets much more sun, 5 to 6 hours or so a day, in the late Spring through Summer months.  Planted in a wet area during the rainy season.  Sprinkler head not too far away 2x a week throughout the year.   Can you see a difference in the size of the palm.  Still no trunk yet.

Screenshot_20200325-171933_Chrome.jpg

20200325_161716.jpg

20200325_161710.jpg

20200325_161737.jpg

20200325_161730.jpg

• Like 7

Gorgeous! I have a couple that I need to find places to plant and your photos will help me decide. Thanks!

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

@Cape Garrett I notice some growth.  The stem seems to be getting thicker toward the bottom.  It's possible it might grow faster with just a little more head room.  Once they form a trunk they seem to pick up the pace.  The one downtown is putting on trunk pretty fast now.

Satakentia - 2017

Satakentia - 2019

If I get a chance over the next few days, I'll snap a photo of it now.  The crown has gotten a lot bigger and probably close to another foot of trunk over the last year.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

3 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

@Cape Garrett I notice some growth.  The stem seems to be getting thicker toward the bottom.  It's possible it might grow faster with just a little more head room.  Once they form a trunk they seem to pick up the pace.  The one downtown is putting on trunk pretty fast now.

Satakentia - 2017

Satakentia - 2019

If I get a chance over the next few days, I'll snap a photo of it now.  The crown has gotten a lot bigger and probably close to another foot of trunk over the last year.

Very nice.  Thanks for the pics

5 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Satakentia - 2017

Satakentia - 2019

Yeah.  I need to trim a bit.  Kept it like that for the shade but I bet she'd be fine without top cover like that.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Does anyone grow SL in San Francisco, New Zealand, Portugal, Canary islands?

Average day temperatures: +17°C in the winter and +24°C in the summer. Typical Summer: 68F to 77F (20C to 25C). Typical Winter: 55F to 64F (12C to 18C). Record Low (past 5 years): 45F or +7.7C (once a winter, some winters). Record High (past 5 years): 83F or +28C (some days only). Elevation 140 m (459 ft.) to 160 m (525 ft.), latitude 38.54º. Sunset Zone: unknown

Hi there,

Satakentias are just beautiful. I am lucky to live with hundreds of them here on my island in Okinawa - 

I get never tired to look at them!

Thank you for posting!

best regards

Lars

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SoulofthePlace said:

I'm not in any of the places you mentioned but I have one in a pot that I dug out of my Perth garden two years ago. Its going OK, but I do protect it on my north facing patio through winter.

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

On 5/29/2020 at 6:24 AM, SoulofthePlace said:

I tried one in Melbourne years ago and we have similarly cool winters to some of those places. It failed miserably, didn’t even last the winter months and the wasn’t any frost. I won’t try again although they are a beautiful palm. 

• Like 1

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

3 hours ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

I tried one in Melbourne years ago and we have similarly cool winters to some of those places. It failed miserably, didn’t even last the winter months and the wasn’t any frost. I won’t try again although they are a beautiful palm. 

Oh wow, so SL joins the club along with Adonidia merrillii, Carpoxylon and other tropical-only palms. Is SL an Okinawa palm or also a Kyushu palm?

Average day temperatures: +17°C in the winter and +24°C in the summer. Typical Summer: 68F to 77F (20C to 25C). Typical Winter: 55F to 64F (12C to 18C). Record Low (past 5 years): 45F or +7.7C (once a winter, some winters). Record High (past 5 years): 83F or +28C (some days only). Elevation 140 m (459 ft.) to 160 m (525 ft.), latitude 38.54º. Sunset Zone: unknown

18 hours ago, Tyrone said:

I'm not in any of the places you mentioned but I have one in a pot that I dug out of my Perth garden two years ago. Its going OK, but I do protect it on my north facing patio through winter.

Is West Coast of D.U. (including Perth) a bit like California where it is said continental west coasts have best or Mediterranean-like climates?

21 minutes ago, SoulofthePlace said:

Is West Coast of D.U. (including Perth) a bit like California where it is said continental west coasts have best or Mediterranean-like climates?

Yes. The west coast of Oz around Perth is warmer in winter than the real Med and double the rainfall roughly of Southern California, and summers are hotter on average than Southern California. 

I’m on the southern coast so the west coast influence diminishes a bit and down here we get something moving closer to Melbourne style temps (still warmer in winter) or north island NZ with less rainfall than northern NZ. So more of an oceanic climate but still technically Mediterranean due to winter peak rainfall. Rainfall is just slightly more spread out over the year than further north.

Satakentia luikiensis is what I would call a warm subtropical species. Definitely marginal for where I am now. Carpoxylon and Adonidia come from the tropics and behave like it too. I grew a Carpoxylon in my perth garden but they were very touchy in winter and Adonidia I had survive for a while in the best microclimate but as everything grew and shaded it out it slowly declined and died, but I know of a fruiting one in Perth in an awesome microclimate. 

Satakentia luikiensis in habitat get coolish and wet winters from a tropical stand point with Max’s around 18-20C with warm nights only a few degrees cooler than the Max’s. Summers are full tropical being wet with 25C mins and 32C max roughly. So it stands to reason that they need a warm spot in winter to be ok. Constant 14C and rain in the day will make them yellow up and decline.

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

2 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Constant 14C and rain in the day will make them yellow up and decline.

This is pretty much every Melbourne winter day. Completely agree, they need a bit more warmth. 

• Like 1

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

I might be able to make mine survive in the ground here, but considering it’s slow growth it may look better kept in a large pot and placed in a conservatory where it probably won’t outgrow it.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2020 at 10:19 AM, SoulofthePlace said:

Oh wow, so SL joins the club along with Adonidia merrillii, Carpoxylon and other tropical-only palms. Is SL an Okinawa palm or also a Kyushu palm?

Satakentia Liukiuensis - which actually means Ryukyuensis. Ryukyu was the name of the former independent Ryukyu Empire between Kyushu and Taiwan before it became part of Japan as Okinawa prefecture. 

The Satakentia is from the southern part of Okinawa (Ishigaki and Iriomote islands) but we have many many here on our Miyako island, too which is still considered as a southern island of Okinawa. If you go further north to the Okinawa main island, you will find them only in the southern part, the northern part is already too cold for them. Much further north comes Kyushu where it even snows during the winter - which definitely excludes Kyushu from the list. 

I hope it helps - 

Lars

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I suspected that "liukiu" means Ryukyu since I speak some Nihongo and in my language palatalization is made by "liu" sounds. So much to learn that the entire life is not enough to grow palms after you've learned most of it. I moved to the Azores almost 6 years ago thinking as long as it is not below +10C it is kind of tropical and anything will grow here. Being from Northern Europe we think anything mild is tropical. I now learned that salt spray, wind and even extended cool temperatures under +20C can be detrimental to some palms. I am still ignorant regarding ph of the soil, which remains enigma to me. Must pay more attention to statements such as "tropical plant", "grows in warm subtropics and tropics" and even "warm temperate" sometimes in question for Azores and buy mostly "will do well in cool climates" (which I used to think are climates with a bit of frost and snow). A comfortable climate 10-25C can be so sad without tropical palms, a sad paradise, just kidding. Still, there are pretty many subtropical and temperate palms to choose from that grow here. It's just all those 100+ SL seeds I got from FL are going to become room plants somewhere if they germinate and even then it is not guaranteed they will grow in the garage outside of summer months. Even summer months here with 17C to 25C and almost NO rain, quite not as hot and humid as Okinawa. Must learn to love and propagate more Kentias. One guy here even manages to grow a coconut palm tree. I got one seedling already, bought from.... Slovakia!

P.S. How about taiwan? Does SL grow in TW? And oh... how about Naha?

Edited by SoulofthePlace
  • Like 1

@SoulofthePlace »Likiu« is not only the correct Latin transcription of the Sino-Japanese name 琉球, but also the accurate transliteration of the historical spelling リウキウ li-u-ki-u. In Latin the letter »y« was never used as a consonant, but only as vowel (between u and i), while the letter »i« was used for both vowel and consonant.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

I have 2 now, never really had luck with them as I never had a good spot with enough shade, but I do now and it is doing great, growing very fast! 

20200528_165207.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

@Cape Garrett - no hijacking intended! My apologize for this sidetracking but just let me quickly that question...

On 5/31/2020 at 11:07 PM, SoulofthePlace said:

P.S. How about taiwan? Does SL grow in TW? And oh... how about Naha?

Thanks for your thoughts and experiences about tropics and something in between. You open the door (to the tropics) and you find out, there is so much

variation, especially when it comes to palms. But before it goes too far - well, I have never been to Taiwan but it is on top on my short trip list. I have seen

some documentations here on tv about places there, where coconuts are grown - so, that opens a lot of opportunities. ( I am on it...)

Naha is a different story. An amazing place! A Japanese city with a definitely Southeast Asian bribe. It gets hit three times less with typhoons than Miyako 

or the other Southern Okinawian islands, so you will find a lot of tall palm trees at least in the southern part where the city of Naha is located. Naha

is worth a whole thread, I am working on it and will put it here on palmtalk, promised!

Alright, should be enough for the moment -

best regards from Miyako/Okinawa

Lars

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Lars, i will be waiting for your Naha thread. And that's how it should be, native palms doing their best only in their native (and similar) climates. We naïve palm zone pushers just confirm it with our failed experiments. Hope to see many photos of your garden and Naha palms as well. Ganbatte! cheers, Tom

• Like 1

• 3 years later...