IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bletilla Striata

-2 brian

Working in the yard today and noticed the first Chinese ground orchid flowers starting to bloom! Really cool miniature orchid blooms

DAD2DF39-0B97-43A6-98E1-D93D0B00D0A6.thumb.jpeg.58776b1484ff21a78ca10d3e8e02bc17.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

If you like the idea of mixing in terrestrial-growing Orchids in the planting areas around your yard, might seek out some of the Sobralias. Think @Tracy is growing some. Several sp./ cultivars are grown by various Orchid specialty growers out there as well.. Don't think you should have issues w/ cold exposure w/ the more easy to obtain sp. where you are. Some of the hybrid Spathoglottis or Phaius might do good there in Huntington Beach also. Winter cool/wet might be the biggest challenge to growing those there though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Silas_Sancona said:

If you like the idea of mixing in terrestrial-growing Orchids in the planting areas around your yard, might seek out some of the Sobralias. Think @Tracy is growing some.

On 3/24/2020 at 4:49 PM, -2 brian said:

Really cool miniature orchid blooms

Very nice, I've added Bletilla striata to my wish list.  Sobralias would do great in HB.  I've kept mine in pots up until now, but will be trying one that split it's pot in the ground when I get around to planting it this spring.  The biggest challenge with putting orchids in the ground versus in pots or mounted on sticks or other plants for me is my dog.  Not that she digs, but she will power over anything if in pursuit of a toy.  It remains easier keeping things up or in pots.  It's a bummer when you have an annual blooming orchid that loses it's inflorescence before blooming due to anything avoidable.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

3 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

If you like the idea of mixing in terrestrial-growing Orchids in the planting areas around your yard, might seek out some of the Sobralias. Think @Tracy is growing some. Several sp./ cultivars are grown by various Orchid specialty growers out there as well.. Don't think you should have issues w/ cold exposure w/ the more easy to obtain sp. where you are. Some of the hybrid Spathoglottis or Phaius might do good there in Huntington Beach also. Winter cool/wet might be the biggest challenge to growing those there though.

2 hours ago, Tracy said:

Very nice, I've added Bletilla striata to my wish list.  Sobralias would do great in HB.  I've kept mine in pots up until now, but will be trying one that split it's pot in the ground when I get around to planting it this spring.  The biggest challenge with putting orchids in the ground versus in pots or mounted on sticks or other plants for me is my dog.  Not that she digs, but she will power over anything if in pursuit of a toy.  It remains easier keeping things up or in pots.  It's a bummer when you have an annual blooming orchid that loses it's inflorescence before blooming due to anything avoidable.

I do have a Sobralias Mirabilis overgrown and coming out of a 5 gal nursery pot. It would benefit from being planted as well, the problem for me is finding a spot to be able to plant it. The nice thing in the pot is being able to set it somewhere to givee it the right exposure. Here is a pic of the flower from a year or so ago.

A6B0CF4B-0A06-457D-B577-76E0598EA15C.thumb.jpeg.22c9140b333bc8c0d05d27f765186552.jpeg

Most of the orchids and even several of the bromeliads that I have in various places around the yard are actually ones that were bought for in house and when they finish flowering I just put them here and there around he yard and see what will take. Surprisingly I get a lot to rebloom. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, -2 brian said:

I do have a Sobralias Mirabilis overgrown and coming out of a 5 gal nursery pot.

Sobralia mirabilis looks a lot like Sobralia sanderae.  S sanderae opens with a yellowy tint which fades to a blush white with the deep yellow throat and the pink ruffled lips.  It is extremely prolific as well, but like all Sobralias the flowers are short lived for an orchid.  S macanthra is another one that does well here with a couple of varieties (pictured one is a deeper pink variation.

20190716-104A4237.jpg

20190714-104A4220.jpg

20190627-104A4060.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

I added a couple of different varieties of Bletilla striata that I will plant in the ground shortly.  One is "Shi-Ran" and the other is "coerulea".  Andy's Orchids had their spring open house and he has a planter outside one of the green houses that was loaded with Bletillas right across from the ones he had potted for sale.  The planter is quite the sales pitch as you can see what you can get.  I just need to plant mine in spots that I know my pup won't trample.

20220320-BH3I7190.jpg

20220320-BH3I7189.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Bletilla striata "Shi Ran" I recently acquired has opened its flowers to show their color. Still haven't decide where in the garden I will plant this one.

20220405-BH3I7298.jpg

20220405-BH3I7299.jpg