IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

realarch

About a month ago, Hilo Jason and I visited Mike Merritt and took a tour of his palm garden. PRA = Palm Related Activity.

Mike's place is upslope of Hilo and all of his hard work over the years is really paying off. He's got some impressive, unusual specimens on a nice chunk of old sugarcane land. Mike, Jason, you'll have to remind me of the acreage, that number went in one ear and right out the other. It did take three hours to scout through the garden on what was a warm humid day. Mike's got a mind like a steel trap and knowledge of his inventory is impressive including his Copernicia, which are relatively uncommon here in east Hawaii.  

Mike, Jason, feel free to add any comments as I'm just going to post palm pics and ID's.

Tim

Copernicia hospita

Copernicia hospita1.jpg

Copernicia hospita2.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

How bout some Clinostigma!

C. harlandii

C. ponapense

Clinostigma harlandii.jpg

Clinostigma ponapense.jpg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Acanthophoenix rousellii. You don't see many of these. 

An impressive Latania verschaffeltia

Acanthophoenix rousellii.jpg

Latania verschaffeltia.jpg

• Like 8

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

And finally, a Pritchardia lanigera.

Much aloha Mike!

Pritchardia lanigera2.jpg

Pritchardia lanigera1.jpg

• Like 9

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Tim,

It's actually a treat for me to show off my collection, and especially to people like you and Jason who are very knowledgeable about and appreciative of what you are seeing. I really like your photos. You're both welcome to return if you would like to check something out.

Just a few ID corrections:

Heterospathe phillipsii is actually Heterospathe intermedia

Hydriastele microspadix is Hydriastele microcarpum (formerly Gronophyllum)

Hydriastele kasesa is Hydriastele microspadix, 

Clinostigma harlandii is Clinostigma exhorrizum, and

the last Copernicia is a blue form of baileyana.

BTW, I have a cheat sheet that I use all the time to help me keep all the Hydriastele micros and macros straight.

If you have more pictures, I think forum members would like to see them, and I know that I would.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

2 hours ago, mike in kurtistown said:

If you have more pictures, I think forum members would like to see them, and I know that I would.

:greenthumb:

2 hours ago, mike in kurtistown said:

It's actually a treat for me to show off my collection, and especially to people like you and Jason who are very knowledgeable about and appreciative of what you are seeing.

Spectacular specimens Mike, and thanks for sharing the photos Tim!

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Hey all, my pleasure. 

Thanks Mike for the corrections, too many palms, so little time.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I'm in love with the tall canopy type Hydriastele species (almost all of them are formerly Gulubia), not too many pics of them on the web. The H. longispatha are spectacular!

Thanks for pics :) 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Tim - I've never made it to Mike's - but knew he must have some cool stuff. Thanks for letting me have a look.

When things get back to normal, I'll have to see in person. That reminds me, I've never seen your place in person either.

I've been sheltering in place much too long. :)

• Like 2

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Hi Mike! So many species that I don't think I've ever seen. Thanks to Tim for posting them. Wish I could have been there. One day....

Cindy Adair

There's plenty more stuff here, Cindy. I don't know how long it will be before people can travel normally again, but come on by if you make it to Hawaii. Dean, you're welcome to tour my garden sometime (let me get some more grass cut, if it ever stops raining over here on the windward side).

Mike Merritt

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Nice to see these photos.  Mike has many gems in his extensive garden. Can't imagine how you manage it, Mike. Well done!

Tim & Jason, thanks for the photos. Wish we could connect while I'm here, but you know...

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Nice to hear from you Kim, yeah very unusual times to say the least. When all this is over, Mike wants to have a 'Rave' party at his place. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Great pictures Tim!  And thanks for having us Mike!  I only took a few photos that day, here they are:

Dypsis Arenarum:

F6D7C0FA-7A6A-47AA-A159-032AA6687898.thumb.jpeg.659ff4831628481e5e88d10648ecfbab.jpeg

ravenea lakatra (I think)

E706AF6F-69B3-44CA-BCF7-88481CA70626.thumb.jpeg.23077a54a8895893cb610b38ce2fc500.jpeg

Clinostigma:

83746CBF-474B-4302-9E31-3D71E99B5013.thumb.jpeg.d905f7b6eec2fbaa113894a15e6bcaab.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Dypsis Madagascariensis of some sort. Really stocky, solitary form:

6FEFA7E5-B17E-40FC-BAA2-E5E1696081D0.thumb.jpeg.b68a9e2c79959d8790f9a6bfc89927da.jpeg

Clinostigma ?

E7F632F0-9059-46A6-9B59-3FB4B8C15E7F.thumb.jpeg.6daffebaacc8117d4a9373831f7f6f60.jpeg

ptychosperma buretianum?

1DF566F6-787E-49A4-9631-3229EAFC4772.thumb.jpeg.f060e65dadd8c3f47dd79fd637cb41cf.jpeg

And another shot of these really tall Hydriastele Longispatha! I’m happy to have a sibling of these in my yard.

392EFF47-7063-4380-BA5F-B89C6A373E0A.thumb.jpeg.b91e872d801be0ded9e99989915e52bc.jpeg

Thanks again Mike!  Awesome place!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Wow, great pictures Tim! :) And yes, Mike has indeed a very extensive and impressive collection. :) I'm still amazed that he's able to keep up with it all. I know from experience what's involved.  And a "rave' party would be something to look forward to! :lol:

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Truth is - I'm not keeping up with it as I would like to. My objective for years has been to keep things under control while not trying to keep the area manicured. But I'm not sure I'm even doing that. My lot is 8.3 acres in size. I am still trying to clear areas near trees that can be characterized as "partial sun" locations for the dozens of shade-loving species in my shadehouses that have waited patiently for years to be put in the ground. But when things that did make it into the ground start growing, it's great fun and seems worth the work involved.

Mike Merritt