IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PNW Palm Sightings

Zach K

Recently I was driving towards Lincoln City, Oregon and along my way I noticed the Siri and Sons nursery. Driving by a house on that property, I noticed some interesting palms growing. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures because we zoomed past it to fast, so google maps it is! Take a look at the screenshots and let me know what you think. I believe the first photo shows a couple date palms and the second one shows several Washingtonias! Knowing our climate (8b), its constantly wet and cool here which is the perfect combination for inhibiting Washigtonia growth. Yet somehow when I drove by, all of the palms in the google map street view are still there and growing! 

If you have a chance, drive over there to take a look yourself, or call the owners and ask about them. 

https://goo.gl/maps/BoDEzMVJ2TnGcxfY7

Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 3_Fotor.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-03-23 SS.jpg

Edited by Zach K
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Nice find. Variety of sabals/dates and trachycarpus. Looks like they have all been transplanted between 2018 and 2019 and probably a mix of transplant shock and winter temps have done the damage - but could come away again.

By the way - I would love to see what sort of stuff grows around the latitude and proximity of the coast to Coos Beach OR - are any Palmtalkers in this region? I don't see why the climate wouldn't be very similar to the one here. Both exactly 43.4 degrees latitude, close to the coast, and with mountains to one side.

• Like 1

Couple of my posts from last summer from southern Oregon.  Bandon which is little south of Coos Bay has many of the plants you see below.

• Like 1

I agree that most look like more recent plantings however This big one in the back looks like it's been there a while, Screenshot_20200327-234320(1).thumb.png.0b8b96744567641e19bfc8826caadb72.pngid guess washingtonia or perhaps Trachycarpus. 

Edited by Mr.SamuraiSword
  • Like 1