IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Florida in for a severe spring drought

Jeffnparrishfl

Anyone else noticed how dry and hot it’s been in Florida recently!  I’m in sw/ central coastal Florida I don’t remember last time we got a beneficial rain or even a cloud in the sky for that matter. 10 day forecast not a chance of rain all sunshine with temps in upper 80. I know all the talk is about this terrible virus right now but have the feeling going to be a very tough wildfire season. Usually summer rains don’t arrive round my area till mid june being close to coast any storms form more inland. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jeffnparrishfl said:

Anyone else noticed how dry and hot it’s been in Florida recently!  I’m in sw/ central coastal Florida I don’t remember last time we got a beneficial rain or even a cloud in the sky for that matter. 10 day forecast not a chance of rain all sunshine with temps in upper 80. I know all the talk is about this terrible virus right now but have the feeling going to be a very tough wildfire season. Usually summer rains don’t arrive round my area till mid june being close to coast any storms form more inland. 

It has been pretty dry out in most areas.  I actually got a quick 10-minute downpour on March 9th, but I have already seen 90F a few times since then and it's been bone dry.  Hand watering has been enough thus far, but irrigation is available if needed.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Yeah man last 5 days or so here been like 88 degrees each day. Lucky to get a sea breeze kick in around 6 pm cool us down a bit. Went from winter right to summer and skipped spring lol

• Like 1

Looks like not much chance of precipitation in the future up this way for a while:

image.png.f38b0c9a095824fa365094c0977d8fa2.png

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

Down here north of the old monkey jungle we get wild, hard driving deluges at night off the Gulfstream several times a week. Woke me up last night and sounded like a hurricane! 

• Like 1

What you look for is what is looking

• 3 weeks later...

Wakulla County leads with Level 2 Severe Drought. Only northern parts of Jackson and Holmes Counties are not in a Level 0 Abnormally Dry. Coastal Palm Beach, Broward, and Dade Counties being the only areas of south Florida not in a Level 1 Moderate Drought. Other than that the rest of Florida remains in a Level 0 or Level 1. Here in the panhandle its been fairly dry, but with March going out like a lion, we recieved a decent amount of rainfall that day. Its been pretty dry since with only small chances in the forecast with temps in the mid to upper 80s. Although it does look like most of the state could have 2+ inches of rain in the next 16 days, but areas south of a line from Tampa to West Palm Beach will not be reaching 2 inches, and will likely be at or below 1.50 inches of rain according to the GFS. Not much but just a drop in the bucket, literally.

Here is a link to the Florida drought monitor ---> https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?FL

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

Thankfully, we got a steady rain for a few hours yesterday and it is cloudy today so the moisture will sink down into the ground a little instead of just evaporating.

Lakeland, FL