IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Posting 6 palms growing in Puerto Rico daily?

Cindy Adair

Wallichia oblongifolia (used to be W. densiflora). Photos don't show the lovely silver color under the leaflets.

DSCN1351.jpg

DSCN1353.jpg

Cindy Adair

Our governor in PR just notified us that our strict ($5000 fine) lock down will continue past the two weeks that were set to end March 30. The new date is April 12. Also she is dividing the days and allowing odd number plates to three days of the week and even to three. No one gets Sunday. These are for errands only so drug stores, grocery stores, doctor appointments, banks and the PO and social distancing everywhere. Limits on the number inside each place at a time, etc. Beaches closed.

Anybody heard of the license plate stuff being used for the pandemic? Seems to me like for once Puerto Rico is leading the states in trying to not overtax our already stressed healthcare system after lots of personnel left following hurricane Maria.

No worries, I am only going to try to continue "my sixpack (palms) a day" until the original end date of March 30.

Dypsis psammophila is a very nice Dypsis lutescens like plant only much daintier. I wish I had more! 

DSCN1362.jpg

DSCN1361.jpg

Cindy Adair

Another memory plant-seed grown probable Cryosophila nana from an epic hike in Mexico with Directors Gregg Hamann, Laz Prieguez, David Tanswell and Larry Noblick.

DSCN1365.jpg

Cindy Adair

Kerriodoxa elegans, trying a couple on this hill. Now 6 planted, at least 4 more awaiting good spots. Such a nice palm!

DSCN1368.thumb.jpg.061fd0808fc5b499d4254fdfdedc66b4.jpg

Cindy Adair

Sorry about the not so great mostly distant shots of many of the newly planted palms. Here is where I spent my day. Note my palm design pocketbook lower right which gives some idea of scale.

DSCN1370.thumb.jpg.62f74eb48311ed674777cf1dc5bd7954.jpg

The horizontal bamboo with stakes makes the very steep hill less dangerous and making the upper tiers took up my morning. So after planting all the palms shown and a few non palms this afternoon, I was just too tired to climb up one more time for proper close ups. 

Cindy Adair

This poor palm FINALLY got planted today! Just before hurricane Maria was named, I lugged this palm down the hill from my house intending to plant it the next day.

As you might imagine there were other priorities and I never even got this palm moved to relative safety before the storm hit.  Luckily no landslide there, but no way to water and it was already root bound.

Two years slipped by and although I hauled it back up the hill to wait in my temporary shade house I never re potted it or fertilized it. 

I asked for advice about planting locations once on PT and moved it in the pot to a few places, but then life intervened and it went just outside my shade house. Recently I moved it outside the shade house near a small potted jade vine which of course decided to use it as a trellis.

Well I rescued it once more this morning and planted it in the same place where it survived the hurricane 2 years ago. I didn't do a great job clearing the awful vines, but did climb up and cut down the opportunistic Cecropias which would have grown really big and then crashed on top of it with a strong wind.

So my only Dypsis sp. dark mealy bug is a survivor and when it outgrows its battered leaves it might even be decent looking.

DSCN1374.thumb.jpg.f4a9ca994820ba6f14d10c65e6921d25.jpg

Cindy Adair

Cocos nucifera, the mother of many who planted themselves rolling down a little hill. 

DSCN1377.thumb.jpg.eccc09db09194b3345857879bd40fb15.jpg

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

Pinanga aristata Showing only one leaf because the older leaf looks pretty ragged. This one I bought as a seedling but I have several sprouts from an rps purchase as well. Loved these on the 2016 IPS trip in Borneo! Many photos in the recently bumped travel log forum. 

DSCN1391.thumb.jpg.bd3e87230047b35fdf536a963bfb5653.jpg

• Like 2

Cindy Adair

Thanks again for all the photos. It's a great feeling when all the hard work is done and it's time to sit back and enjoy the growth. But I hope you know that now you will have to post yearly updates.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Wow, nice collection! Thank you:)

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

17 hours ago, Dypsisdean said:

Thanks again for all the photos. It's a great feeling when all the hard work is done and it's time to sit back and enjoy the growth. But I hope you know that now you will have to post yearly updates.

You are welcome Dean. Somehow with my jungle the work will never be done, but that's OK with me.

16 hours ago, gilles06 said:

Wow, nice collection! Thank you:)

Thank you gilles06 for looking.

Cindy Adair

Last six pack (of palms) for this topic as today was to be the last day of Puerto Rico's earlier than most strict curfew. Another two weeks starts tomorrow. Getting low on some food items but my license plate ends in an odd number (and grocery stores now closed on Mondays anyway). That means I am not allowed to drive until Tuesday.

Copernicia eckmanii

DSCN1485.jpg

DSCN1482.jpg

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

Another gift from Mike Dahme, Oenocarpus bataua. Thanks!

Note the new red leaves on the big leaved Medinilla magnifica in the upper right of the second photo.

DSCN1476.jpg

DSCN1477.jpg

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

Calyptrocalyx elegans v. Boalak

DSCN1472.thumb.jpg.87116c7a773f2e1f7f6f8707bd1b9477.jpg

A good start to my inventory of palms planted at my new farm in the last two years. Not complete and lots in pots big enough to plant and more seedlings and seeds too. 

But better than these views from Sept 2017 day after Hurricane Maria:

DSCN7050.thumb.jpg.9f7cc131a971843529e01be1d426e66d.jpgIMG_0222.thumb.JPG.af528447384ecc3f2d46e502d7d6422d.JPG

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

• 4 weeks later...

Love it Cindy.  Now it is on my must-haves list.  Thanks for recommending this species!

Incredible Cindy. I love your garden. It looks like you have everything one could want in a garden.

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

Thanks Mark and Tracy.

I have only planted part of my farm. Much is left play in and to clear paths in the future. 

Planted lots more since I last posted here after clearing another big area of most everything, but tree ferns. What a lot of work! I believe I will wear out before I run out of space.

Cindy Adair

On 3/29/2020 at 5:08 PM, Cindy Adair said:

Tiny Pseudophoenix eckmanii

DSCN1483.thumb.jpg.1702c411ab43917979d7e5d4d568ba51.jpg

DSCN1484.thumb.jpg.1a16387cba9fa6af934c5acfecc494d1.jpg

Is this the little one at the top of your driveway?  I planted three of them on a ridge and the last time I saw them the soil had eroded away exposing the roots.  I will have to shore up the soil this next trip if they didn't tumble down the hill....

Wow, you have quite a collection! I see there is a lot of balance between rockets and slugs. :winkie: It helps to have some palms where you can see progress quickly while the others plod along.  Your farm is looking really good!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.