IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Posting 6 palms growing in Puerto Rico daily?

Cindy Adair

Sadly I do not have a Sabinaria, Tim.  Still on my wish list..

On with tonight's six palms shortly.

Cindy Adair

The first five for today were planted less than a year ago.They were root bound and nutrient starved in pots way too long.  Thus the old leaves show deficiencies but the new leaves look much better despite no fertilization.

This hillside is 2-3 stories high and blends with my neighbor's land. Tough weeds and cecropia trees and such attacked after hurricane caused landslides here.

DSCN1219.thumb.jpg.540e087c1c3fefad412e5bb6af474bfc.jpg

But I see this area from my living quarters so I continue to add more steps (note the shovel upper left) and experiment with groundcovers. 

No one has been crazy enough to climb this area except me, especially tricky with frequent rains.

I'll show one of the dozen seed grown Areca vestiaria palms first.

DSCN1218.thumb.jpg.a306e25027732bcca2d0ea652102275e.jpg

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

Copernicia berteroana which was almost completely covered by aggressive ferns and vines for a few months until last week.

DSCN1209.thumb.jpg.181abb762cbbb13d4d404aa4acc2013b.jpg

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

And I'll end in another area with my largest of several Iriartea deltoidea palms and a baby to the bottom right. The lowest leaf is the only remnant from hurricane Maria as this one was in the ground a few months beforehand.

Sadly I noticed a beetle entry hole at the base, but have hopes the palm will survive.

DSCN1221.thumb.jpg.fdbbb10f089670df44781ff2070e825c.jpg

DSCN1222.thumb.jpg.21217c0379092a05ac07797eaab5cca2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

6 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

Love the pics!

Thanks!

First up today is one of my three little Calyptocalyx elegans sp. Mara. I still haven't seen a Calyptrocalyx that I didn't want to try and they seem to grow OK here so far. This one was planted late last Fall.

DSCN1182.jpg

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

Although Pinangas usually are easy here, I killed a bunch of Pinanga maculatas until finally have had some luck.  I planted three of these nearby and at the same time as the previous post and even through our dry season with no added water they seem fine. I think I have a few more in pots ready for the right spot too. Most visitors think these leaves signify a disease.

DSCN1180.jpg

DSCN1181.jpg

• Like 2

Cindy Adair

I am lucky enough to have a couple of Iguanura piahensis so far so good maybe a year in the ground.

DSCN1194.thumb.jpg.a39202ce974586207006c915b3c7e246.jpg

• Like 3

Cindy Adair

One of my two remaining Mauritia flexuosas. The beetles killed one in January. This area stays soggy much of the time and plenty of space in the sun to grow.

DSCN1184.thumb.jpg.71a0739c22c9514b016a65ecbf67db03.jpg

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

Calyptrocalyx micholitzii is another of my many favorites. One of two but no seed yet.DSCN1240.thumb.jpg.97b2e5a5e5bcc5de1367477eee92fcbb.jpg

• Like 4

Cindy Adair

Boy Cindy, nice looking L. sallehana! Mine just sort of putters along.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

20 hours ago, realarch said:

Boy Cindy, nice looking L. sallehana! Mine just sort of putters along.

Tim

Thanks Tim. Yours will pick up speed soon I'll bet. Mine is in pretty dense shade.

Cindy Adair

Another one I enjoy from many vantage points. Hard to photograph though. I am so glad this is a clustering Caryota (C. mitis variegated) since the largest trunk is now flowering. I can see this one out of my kitchen and bedroom windows.

DSCN1261.thumb.jpg.1f6c9722069a7e62824c402641b281c7.jpg

DSCN1260.thumb.jpg.efed106589332bb864895357ccce7aac.jpg

Yes below that is the ocean to the lower right. Sunsets are rather nice too. No way could I ever afford land like this in my former city, Virginia Beach, VA.

DSCN1259.thumb.jpg.5b2a6783d5ded5063762fad855093ab2.jpg

• Like 2

Cindy Adair

I planted a lot today.

Here is Hyophorbe indica, one of many gifts from Mike Dahme. Thanks!

DSCN1265.jpg

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

Chamaedorea tepejilote, the only one big enough to plant.  However I have a bunch of babies courtesy of 92557.  Thanks!

DSCN1266.thumb.jpg.0da4c2fd8eeef9368cd7e445a8318710.jpg

DSCN1267.thumb.jpg.44c3bf966dc9acb8ef3b9b7263033644.jpg

I thought I was going to lose this one, ignored in a pot too long and with sickly leaves. Maybe potassium deficiency? Anyway, I finally repotted and fertilized and with one good looking leaf it went into the ground today!

DSCN1268.jpg

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

Clinostigma samoense.  I had to leave one on my old place so very happy to get another one in the ground here!

DSCN1269.jpg

• Like 2

Cindy Adair

I'll close with a couple of overall views of this section I am calling Tody Trail after the groups of these amazing little birds (San Pedritos) that supervised while I planted there today. DSCN1263.thumb.jpg.a9500a610467cc08de97c08c92f11865.jpgDSCN1273.thumb.jpg.31537b27d7a34630dd2495f04602894e.jpg

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

Today I spent the morning clearing steep hills that had a fallen would have potentially caused injuries requiring some medical attention but I put them in the likely survivable category and made sure I had my cell phone with me. No palms there yet and by the time I had planned to take the next six palm portraits it was raining. 

So my camera is not waterproof so I left it on the porch. Since the rain was not so heavy to obscure my glasses and my old hat and clothes are already stained I went into my jungle anyway. Lots of mud later to get to some hard to access areas, the rain stopped. I retrieved my camera and here they are all shiny from the washing.

First Hydriastele dransfieldii.

DSCN1332.jpg

DSCN1333.jpg

DSCN1339.jpg

• Like 4

Cindy Adair

Here are some of my four happy Chamaedorea adscendens gifts from Mike Harris of Caribbean palms. Thanks Mike!

DSCN1334.jpg

DSCN1335.jpg

DSCN1336.jpg

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

Marojejya darianii. I love these so have a few more elsewhere. Nice with or without a trunk.

DSCN1328.jpg

DSCN1343.jpg

• Like 4

Cindy Adair

:yay: O M G ....... Cindy love so many of your lil palms. What a nice garden at such a young stage. Cant wait to see these same pics in a few years =) 

T J 

3 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

:yay: O M G ....... Cindy love so many of your lil palms. What a nice garden at such a young stage. Cant wait to see these same pics in a few years =) 

Thanks! Hoping no earthquakes or hurricanes or pandemic palm viruses...

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

Mystery palm  that I thought had died in a pot. Poor thing got planted a few weeks ago and I'm rooting for its survival.

DSCN1344.jpg

Cindy Adair

Near the last palm is an Attalea cohune seedling little stressed from rudely moving into wind and sun.  Hoping it gets huge one day.

DSCN1345.jpg

• Like 1

Cindy Adair