IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Posting 6 palms growing in Puerto Rico daily?

Cindy Adair

So the governor of Puerto Rico has a very strict 24/7 curfew which leaves most of us confined with our plants until March 30 at least. I have not posted much recently so this is a good time to change that! I am starting near my house and I have the extra incentives to pull some weeds around each palm and use the photos also for a long overdue inventory. 

Remember that that almost everything was planted less than 2 years ago. 

Here's the first, one of my half dozen Cyrtostachys renda. These are easy and fast here and cheap when small. Not sure why the photos only look sharp when I click on them-sorry! Hat in the last photo gives scale.

DSCN0983.thumb.jpg.5d344bb2d8cb9aa091803d4b8e876cf0.jpg

DSCN0984.thumb.jpg.3c1e3330f77ae377057126fdb80265ba.jpgDSCN0985.thumb.jpg.1a995e6ccf9bb3d1235095551387119e.jpg

DSCN0998.jpg

• Like 15
  • Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

DSCN0989.thumb.jpg.3aca3abb5b8801ae9b3f7ab369b546a6.jpg

I am not liking the photo quality. Maybe my old camera is showing its age?  This is Dypsis mirabilis.

DSCN0987.thumb.jpg.f82f7bfe05438af3d1915e2201a817fa.jpg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

Dypsis pinnatifrons with my  Steleocarpus burahol (kepel fruit tree) flushing pink nearby.

Three of these palms in the ground from full shade to half sun and all doing fine. Only one photographed today.

DSCN0991.thumb.jpg.aa90a2df071b0af9f9b3f6b36ce41a65.jpg

DSCN0992.thumb.jpg.0ab7731def85a138f4325e3ba53a39f2.jpg

DSCN0993.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

One of four Lanonia dasayantha palms.  Not as impressively mottled as Licuala mattanensis 'mapu' for me, but still pretty.DSCN0994.thumb.jpg.913d906555b661ac43335b4f2f7a249e.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

Nice to see you again Cindy! Your garden is looking muy bueno!

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

@Cindy Adair so good to see you!

I was getting ready to send out a posse.

If  you're interested in some free seeds, shoot me a PM . . . .

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

20 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

So the governor of Puerto Rico has a very strict 24/7 curfew which leaves most of us confined with our plants until March 30 at least. I have not posted much recently so this is a good time to change that! I am starting near my house and I have the extra incentives to pull some weeds around each palm and use the photos also for a long overdue inventory. 

Remember that that almost everything was planted less than 2 years ago. 

Here's the first, one of my half dozen Cyrtostachys renda. These are easy and fast here and cheap when small. Not sure why the photos only look sharp when I click on them-sorry! Hat in the last photo gives scale.

DSCN0983.thumb.jpg.5d344bb2d8cb9aa091803d4b8e876cf0.jpg

DSCN0984.thumb.jpg.3c1e3330f77ae377057126fdb80265ba.jpgDSCN0985.thumb.jpg.1a995e6ccf9bb3d1235095551387119e.jpg

DSCN0998.jpg

Hi Cindy, how big were these when you bought them, and how long have they been in the ground?  Seem slow growing to me, but then again, mine get covered in weeds for months at a time.  I do take pics of them every so many months, but I do not see too much growth in the 18 months since I planted mine.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 cases in Hawaii so far, but all are on Oahu, Maui, and Kauai. Nothing as yet on The Big Island. Cruise ships barred from the Port of Hilo.  No restrictions on activities. Your palms look great. Cyrtostachys renda is ubiquitous here as well. Easy to germinate and raise. Keep well.

• Like 1

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Cindy,

spectacular images of your great looking palms! C. renda is just amazing!

I am looking forward to "unleash" a few of mine still potted ones out into the garden ;) 

Best regards to PR -

please stay safe,

Lars

• Like 1

9 hours ago, edbrown_III said:

wow gotta go to PR --- saludos 

Hi Ed! Yes you should visit PR, but maybe after a bit of time passes since not much open here today.

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

Great to hear from you Tim and Jim and Dave and thanks!

And Jonathan,  I do like the Steleocarpus myself! Hope it will fruit one day so I can see if eating it will make me smell of violets as the books describe... When I moved from my first farm I had to leave a much bigger tree there. Sadly I do not even know if it survived hurricane Maria. But mine is growing well and even the mature leaves stay extra shiny and pretty.

Thanks Lars. One of the many great things about PalmTalk is hearing from folks across the world! 

Especially nice when my cat is just not that good a conversationalist.

Hi Mike! Glad to hear the Big Island is doing OK so far with few restrictions. I am excited to report that I am allowed to go to my little rural post office tomorrow although I am told I will likely be questioned by police as to my destination. I have two packages there that relate to something fun and important for PalmTalk soon. Nope, no hints,  just this teaser.

• Like 2

Cindy Adair

5 hours ago, 92557 said:

Hi Cindy, how big were these when you bought them, and how long have they been in the ground?  Seem slow growing to me, but then again, mine get covered in weeds for months at a time.  I do take pics of them every so many months, but I do not see too much growth in the 18 months since I planted mine.

Hi neighbor!

They sit for awhile when in a four inch pot with little or no red visible.  But for me, by the 1-2 gallon size, they go much faster. Part sun and lots of water (rain, not that I give them anything else) and yours will look like mine. Of course here they will grow in full sun to full shade. 

I am not certain whether the one photographed was a one or two gallon or from the group of smaller ones, but the ones in the ground are now hard to tell apart.  Some were definitely 4 inch pot size and all were bought at the Aibonito PR show in 2017.  None were planted until after Maria, so about two years in the ground for that one. 

The ones still in pots are much smaller as they have not been up potted properly, so are root bound, nutrition and water starved. As you know I still have much to clear to find spaces for all my trees and other plants. I hope you'll see how everything has grown when you next visit my place and yours!

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

This one is from PalmatierMeg-thanks! Last I heard it was unidentified so she called it Dypsis sp. Malagasy. 

DSCN1024.jpg

DSCN1019.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

One of a couple of Rhapis multifida which is next to the Dypsis sp. Malagasy.DSCN1021.thumb.jpg.d0d0c8e4f1bfe7c0d45a1011f9cf9c13.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

I have several of these little little Calyptrocalyx laxiflorus. Two pictured below.

DSCN1075.jpg

DSCN1077.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

And last for tonight one of my seed grown Pelagodoxa henryana. Seed collected with permission from a tree planted at a PR nursery (now out of business and the tree gone).

Several babies at my place including one (not pictured here) from last year's beetle attack.  Amazingly still alive,  although spearless so hoping it might make it. Unless I miscounted (past my usual bedtime), that's six. Thanks for looking.

DSCN1045.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

Cindy Adair

23 minutes ago, Cindy Adair said:

And last for tonight one of my seed grown Pelagodoxa henryana. Seed collected with permission from a tree planted at a PR nursery (now out of business and the tree gone).

Several babies at my place including one (not pictured here) from last year's beetle attack.  Amazingly still alive,  although spearless so hoping it might make it. Unless I miscounted (past my usual bedtime), that's six. Thanks for looking.

DSCN1045.jpg

What a beautiful specimen. 

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

All your pics are amazing.  I am in love with your calyptrocalyx laxafliris , I have one just a bit bigger and it is producing flowers already.. keep them coming 

• Like 1

Today I'll start with Itaya amicarum. I am lucky enough to have three that I have undoubtedly planted too close together.

Won't be the first time.

Looks like I forgot to pull the weeds first, probably distracted by the cute anole posing on one?

DSCN1137.jpg

DSCN1139.jpgDSCN1143.thumb.jpg.0d0d36526fab0edf667279a4ea24f1a5.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

My only Chamaedorea plumosa that flowers in vain since they are dioecious. Maybe one day I'll get some more? DSCN1152.thumb.jpg.2582090c132a62ed4581f631a5ce7693.jpgDSCN1154.thumb.jpg.e720e9ae5c316ca5ed84e86f6ddf6ea4.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

Loxococcus rupicola is the last one for today.  Also lived through a beetle attack when treated with imidocloprid. So far if I treat them quickly I can save at least half.DSCN1145.thumb.jpg.b8e510ea1a45f7c200c5db275b0e114b.jpg

• Like 2

Cindy Adair

Always like pics from the tropics - thanks. Do you remember the name of this Aroid? Was it from Enid?

BTW - it's not your camera. The pic you see in the post is a "preview." Not an original "file." Saves time loading for those on phones and such - and especially for a page loaded with photos. You can click and view full size is you want.

Cindy Aroid.jpg

• Like 1

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Hi Dean! Thanks for the photo information. 

As to the alocasia, it was from a nursery called Helm's in Missouri that does not mail order.  It was labelled Alocasia Sarian. I was lucky enough to find a pot with two plants in it.

https://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?taxonid=266362&isprofile=1&basic=%sarian

Below was my stash from my March 2019 trip to snowy Missouri including the then little Alocasias before bare rooting them all.IMG_2823.thumb.jpg.f695d73fd8ad40a855285cedb831affd.jpg

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

One of a couple of Dypsis minuta palms. Name really fits. The other one is flowering for the second time. No seeds yet.DSCN1179.thumb.jpg.fb18f3568c530bc45715bdd6f612cceb.jpg

• Like 2

Cindy Adair

From tiny to tall-I have never counted them but there are lots of big Roystonea borinquena trees on my farm.  They make lots of flowers that the bees love and I see many small seeds but so very high. Getting viable seeds from the floor of my jungle is daunting and I readily climb my slopes but am not climbing these trees.

Something must love to eat the seeds as I see empty ones around. I do find the occasional seedling that grows super fast. The giant heavy fronds make planting anything fragile below unwise as no way for me to remove the dead fronds before they crash down.

However they are beautiful!

DSCN1187.thumb.jpg.519786e3f05e5e6d55fbb373bc60ec3a.jpg

• Like 3

Cindy Adair

Johannesteijsmannia altifrons aka Diamond Joey. I have several of these and so far so good. Sadly no J. magnifica.

DSCN1198.thumb.jpg.933e2c109531ee3e3778b8188638dff6.jpg

• Like 4

Cindy Adair

On 3/18/2020 at 11:50 AM, Cindy Adair said:

Today I'll start with Itaya amicarum. I am lucky enough to have three that I have undoubtedly planted too close together.

Won't be the first time.

Looks like I forgot to pull the weeds first, probably distracted by the cute anole posing on one?

DSCN1137.jpg

DSCN1139.jpgDSCN1143.thumb.jpg.0d0d36526fab0edf667279a4ea24f1a5.jpg

At first I thought this Itaya was a Sabinaria. A similar look indeed.

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii