PalmatierMeg

Please join me in mourning the passing of my oldest and largest Sabal palmetto Lisa, which has provided many seeds and seedlings over the past 5 years. I received it as a 2-leaf seedling in May 2008 from a generous local PTer. It started flowering and setting seeds around 2014. I believe but can't prove that it suffered some kind of damage from Hurricane Irma in 2017. It aborted its seeds in 2018 and never flowered at all in 2019. By then it stopped growing and fronds died, starting with the newest. Today we gave up hope for it and cut it down. First photo is of what's left of its trunk. Second photo was taken 11 months ago when it still looked its best. I have two juvenile Sabal Lisas left on my garden lot.

Sabal Lisa RIP, Cape Coral, FL  3/16/20

276779658_RIPSabalLisa03-16-20.thumb.JPG.0195f2ca37f851d6641282493a053cf8.JPG

Sabal Lisa, Cape Coral, FL 4/30/19

939953457_SabalpalmettoLisa0104-30-19.thumb.JPG.992826962f93c6e8cc9571900abf3129.JPG

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

NOT A TA

Sorry for your loss Meg, it was a nice looking specimen. Did you by any chance take pics of the woody section straight down?

Estlander

Sad news indeed! :( It looked so beautiful. From a seedling to that size in 12 years, wow! Want one in my yard so bad. Wish I had bought seeds or seedlings from you when it was still doing good. 

PalmatierMeg
44 minutes ago, NOT A TA said:

Sorry for your loss Meg, it was a nice looking specimen. Did you by any chance take pics of the woody section straight down?

I will. The center 1-2" is hollow like it rotted away inside.

Palmcycasnut

R.i.p.  My 3 year old great looking plants are from that tree. :(

NatureGirl

I feel your pain Meg, I’ve lost 3 mature Coccothrinax and I believe a 4th is declining now (C hioramii). I also thought latent damage from Irma or Dorian, but maybe Lethal Bronzing. 

• Like 1

SWFLchris

Meg, I've got about 50 1 gallon seedlings from that one, I purchased from you early last year. I would be happy to send one your way, let me know...

• Upvote 1

sonoranfans

Meg that is reallly a shame, it was a gorgeous specimen.   We all never know when we will lose a prized palm and it hurts.  I feel your pain. 

Stevetoad

That’s a major bummer. Sorry for your loss. 

Estlander
2 hours ago, SWFLchris said:

Meg, I've got about 50 1 gallon seedlings from that one, I purchased from you early last year. I would be happy to send one your way, let me know...

You don’t, by any chance, wanna sell me one? Sabal ‘Lisa’ looks quite different from regular Sabals with those leaves, almost like a different different species altogether. And God knows us unfortunate ones in 9A need some palm diversity bad.  

NOT A TA
5 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

The center 1-2" is hollow like it rotted away inside.

I thought it looked like the center was rotten, that's why I asked about a pic straight down. I'd guess a case of bud rot based on your description of symptoms and the pic. Extension service bulletins note that it occurs more frequently right after a hurricane passes through.   Phytophthora palmivora and Thielaviopsis paradoxa are the two known culprits and although the Phytophthora may have infected it initially it looks like it has Thielaviopsis rotting the center now.

So, to be on the safe side break out the hazmat equipment and bag & dispose of everything possible to reduce the amount of spores you're spreading around. Don't want to infect other nice palms you have. I had to do it myself a couple months ago when I noticed my favorite Coconut was infected with Thielaviopsis that entered through some very small woodpecker holes. Clean saws & pruning tools with 25% bleach solution or 50 % rubbing alcohol. Scoop up all the sawdust and mulch around the base etc.   Here's a bulletin on the bud rot fungi    https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pp144

I'd still be interested in other pics, curious if the rot got down near ground level.

Palm Tree Jim

Not good news.

Plant another!

• Like 1

OC2Texaspalmlvr

What a bummer Meg =/ She will live on with all the seeds you have passed on. I got a huge community pot of them waiting to see how many get the trait =) 

Hferrell87

Super unfortunate!! Was a beautiful specimen.

The Gerg

So sorry.  She was a beauty.

Kris

Dear Meg,

Sorry to see those visuals..

Kris.

palmfriend

Meg,

I am sorry for your loss but I am glad to know that there are plenty of seedlings from your specimen out there!

Best regards from Okinawa - 

Lars

PalmatierMeg
On 3/16/2020 at 5:12 PM, SWFLchris said:

Chris, thanks so much for your generous offer. Grow them and pass them along to others in her memory.

• Like 2

Rickybobby

Georgious palm that sucks!

Cindy Adair

So sorry to hear (and see) your loss. She was quite stunning.

caixeta

Hi Meg .  If it is a consolation your palm has left countless  children in Brasil.  Of total germinated approximately 30% were Lisas and the rest normal .20200320_084008.thumb.jpg.eb0998d2ce8e3d8386c9e5446ac56ecd.jpg

• Like 4

caixeta

20200320_084017.jpg

• Like 4

PalmatierMeg

Mauricio, your little Sabal Lisas look wonderful.

As requested I took more photos of the center hole in the trunk. I also saw additional "holes" scattered around the circumference and wonder if my palm was also attacked by the native palm weevil after it was weakened by Hurricane Irma even though my husband didn't see any of those hideous weevil grubs (I have a phobia about grubs, larvae and ticks).

590922643_RIPSabalLisatrunkdetail0103-20-20.thumb.JPG.7492b2e20f13e7058eda389cca369107.JPG1453791001_RIPSabalLisatrunkdetail0203-20-20.thumb.JPG.25c19262bcd659ce707d07b6eed12927.JPG

Brad Mondel

Very unfortunate indeed. I hope this variety isn't more susceptible to bud rot somehow. 

AnTonY

Sorry for your loss. Still, I have to admit that the lisa is indeed a cool-looking variant of the sabal. I wonder how fast it tends to grow compared to the classic form?

Edited by AnTonY

joe_OC
On 3/16/2020 at 10:45 AM, PalmatierMeg said:

Please join me in mourning the passing of my oldest and largest Sabal palmetto Lisa, which has provided many seeds and seedlings over the past 5 years. I received it as a 2-leaf seedling in May 2008 from a generous local PTer. It started flowering and setting seeds around 2014. I believe but can't prove that it suffered some kind of damage from Hurricane Irma in 2017. It aborted its seeds in 2018 and never flowered at all in 2019. By then it stopped growing and fronds died, starting with the newest. Today we gave up hope for it and cut it down. First photo is of what's left of its trunk. Second photo was taken 11 months ago when it still looked its best. I have two juvenile Sabal Lisas left on my garden lot.

Sabal Lisa RIP, Cape Coral, FL  3/16/20

276779658_RIPSabalLisa03-16-20.thumb.JPG.0195f2ca37f851d6641282493a053cf8.JPG

Sabal Lisa, Cape Coral, FL 4/30/19

939953457_SabalpalmettoLisa0104-30-19.thumb.JPG.992826962f93c6e8cc9571900abf3129.JPG

Meg,

Sorry for your loss.  This pic of your Lisa is the NICEST one I found online.  Glad to hear that you have a couple left in your garden.

• Upvote 1