IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Fort Worth TX - 8a Backyard

romeyjdogg

Hey all,

Just moved from Houston into a new place on the SW side of Fort Worth, TX (zone 8a). I see a few members live over in Dallas, so I'm hopeful that I'll get some really good advice from you folks. 

My backyard is fairly large, full sun (new construction, so no tree canopy cover), and I'm looking to plant some palms that will require little in terms of winter babysitting/protection. I would appreciate any advice on the following list of potential options. I'm also open to others I may have missed:

• Chamaerops humilis
  • Washingtonia Filifera
  • Sabal Mexicana
  • Sabal Palmetto
  • Brahea Armata
  • Jubaea Chilensis (Heat + humidity may be too much)
  • Jubaea hybrids (J x B, J x S, etc.)
  • Serenoa Repens (should be 100% safe)
  • Butia Capitata (should be fairly safe)
  • Butia hybrid (B x J)
  • Trachycarpus Fortunei
  • Trachycarpus Wagnerianus
  • Sabal Minor
  • Sabal Uresana (not sure, might be more of an 8b plant)
  • Mazari
Edited by romeyjdogg
  • Like 3

Welcome to Palmtalk!  A few good folks to talk to in your area are @TonyDFW and @TexasColdHardyPalms.  Tony has one of the nicer gardens I've seen and Tex tests and sells just about everything on your list.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

In 8a I'd try about everything on your list.  Good luck.  Plant the more sure bet ones in places you don't want to mess with. 

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Excellent recommendations for local contacts.  As far as additional palms I would think that you could probably get away with Chamaedorea radicalis (in a shady spot), Trithrinax acanthacoma and Rhapidopyllum hystrix.  But small specimens of these will likely need some protection during the first winter in the ground.  Best of luck growing whatever you choose to try!

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 1

Jon Sunder

@romeyjdogg list looks excellent. You might even try a (B x J) x (B x S) if you can get one. I think thats the cross for the "super-mule?"

• Like 1

I responded last night and my message disappeared. This is the second time lately this happened. 

It’s a great list, I have a couple more for you. 

Trachycarpus takil

Sabal lousiana 

Trachycarpus princeps 

and maybe Sabal causiarum 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the input! I will reach out to TonyDFW and TexasColdHardyPalms as well.

I know Jungle Music has a ton of palms, but I am curious if sourcing plants local to my zone would lead to better cold weather performance. I have a few local sources, but understandably, nothing like we had back in Houston.

Can anybody recommend good sources for plants (not seeds)? Thanks!

2 minutes ago, romeyjdogg said:

Thanks everyone for the input! I will reach out to TonyDFW and TexasColdHardyPalms as well.

I know Jungle Music has a ton of palms, but I am curious if sourcing plants local to my zone would lead to better cold weather performance. I have a few local sources, but understandably, nothing like we had back in Houston.

Can anybody recommend good sources for plants (not seeds)? Thanks!

When you reach out to @TexasColdHardyPalms, reach out with the intent to buy after checking out their online list: https://texascoldhardypalms.com/

Then you'll hit two goals at once - talking to someone knowledgeable about local conditions and buying local.  It's my understanding they have more than what is on their online list.  I personally buy from them roughly once a year and always have a pleasant experience.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Joseph at TexasColdHardyPalms hasn't been here on PalmTalk for a while so it's best to visit his website and give him a call or email.

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

30 minutes ago, romeyjdogg said:

I know Jungle Music has a ton of palms, but I am curious if sourcing plants local to my zone would lead to better cold weather performance.

I bought a 5g Sabal Riverside band sized : Sabal Causiarum , Jubaea Chilensis , Sabal Louisiana from Phil at Jungle Music shipping only 55$ I believe all these palms are worth a go in your area =) 

• Like 1

T J 

I would add- brahea decumbens, brahea moorei, needle palm, and chamaerops humilis ‘cerifera’.  ‘Cerifera’ fared better for me during the cold blast of Feb 2011.  They were unfazed while most green chamaerops were defoliated. 

• Like 1

Yes, Texascoldhardypalms has a lot more than what’s listed on their website or eBay. Contact him direct to get a much better idea.

• Like 1

Thank you, thank you everyone.

I actually went out to Joe's (TexasColdHardyPalms) property last weekend to check out his stuff. So many plants!

I did reach out to him to get more specifics on what he has in stock currently.