JLM

Germinating Sabal Palmetto seeds

JLM

I took a trip down to Pensacola Beach yesterday ane picked up about 6 sabal seeds, i dont want an overload of sabals, but i need some tips on how to do this. I also bought another queen, almost all strap leaf, first frond with pinnate leaf is coming in. Ill have pics of both here in the next hour or so. 

Edited by JLM

JLM

Maybe this will be switched over to another part of the forum instead of weather/climate. 1st pic is sabal seeds, 2nd is queen, 3rd is queens first pinnate leaf, and 4th is coconut. I should probably water the coconut, but my thing is i can see the roots of the queen trying to escape through the holes in the pot, i thought about switching pots with the coconut so the queen would have wiggle room.

20200314_093039.jpg

20200314_093316.jpg

20200314_093435.jpg

20200314_093449.jpg

kinzyjr
31 minutes ago, JLM said:

I took a trip down to Pensacola Beach yesterday ane picked up about 6 sabal seeds, i dont want an overload of sabals, but i need some tips on how to do this. I also bought another queen, almost all strap leaf, first frond with pinnate leaf is coming in. Ill have pics of both here in the next hour or so. 

Yeah, probably should be in the Discussing Palm Trees Worldwide forums.  Either way, the Sabal seeds you have look a little old and moldy from the photos.  They typically fruit in November down here, so they are probably close to 6 months old at this point.  Ideally, they should be a consistent dark brown color and very firm.  They follow a pretty standard germination protocol (moist growing medium with 85F-95F temperatures), but they can sprout in as little as a few weeks or as much as a few years.  They are pretty sporadic, even when sourced from the same plant. 

JLM

@kinzyjr

The seeds are a dark brown color, almost reminds me of a mini coconut. Seeds are very firm. They do still have a little bit of the outer shell left on them. Two of the seeds were also stuck together when i picked them up, the spot that was left could be interpreted as mold. Do i put it in a plastic bag with a moist paper towel, almost like the beans that almost everyone did in elementary school.

kinzyjr

You can use the baggy or paper towel method.  You could also use open air community containers if you would like.  These aren't a hard seed to sprout at all.

• Like 1

NOT A TA

They'll look like the ones in pic below if you clean them off. They have a hard smooth endocarp. If you roll them between two hard flat surfaces the exocarp and mesocarp will come off leaving a clean hard seed.

DSCN4421_zpsyetgqk0b.jpg

• Like 1

JLM

@NOT A TA

It took a couple days in the bag to look like this, all the moisture made it easy to rub off. They have not sprouted yet, but they are now in separate pots. Been very warm here, so plenty of heat and water! How can you tell when its germinating but hasnt started growing roots yet? I see a little bump on one of the largest seeds, could this be it?

GeorgiaPalms

I've germinated quite a few Sabal seeds. I usually just bury them in a pot of soil and give them ample warmth and water. The palms will start to develop the roots first, so it may take a while before you actually see the first leaves poke through.  Just be patient and they'll emerge. 

• Like 2

JLM

About how long does it take to germinate @GeorgiaPalms? They have been in the pots for a while now and nothing has even germinated yet. Im beginning to wonder if the seeds are able to germinate. They came from Pensacola Beach all the way back in the beginning of March. Is this typical of a sabal palmetto seed?

NOT A TA
6 hours ago, JLM said:

About how long does it take to germinate

They're not fast so be patient, it's only been a bit over a month.

• Like 1

JLM

I know I know......

OC2Texaspalmlvr

Fresh seeds of Sabals will usually show signs in a month. Certain Sabals like causiarum can show there eophyll in 2 weeks. I was told Sabals are the perfect beginner seeds to germinate and I believe that Is true now =) summer heat and moisture you cant go wrong. 

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      For Sale: 25+ Sabal minor Wakulla Dwarf seeds (total 2020 crop) AND 25+ Sabal minor Blountstown Dwarf seeds in ONE LOT ONLY
       I got these uber dwarf Sabal minors from Plant Delights Nursery some years back. See links below for info.
      https://www.plantdelights.com/products/sabal-minor-blountstown-dwarf
      https://www.plantdelights.com/products/sabal-minor-wakulla-dwarf
      While these uber dwarf Sabals appear almost identical in the photos below, their limited populations are 60 miles apart in NFL. I've been growing both and while I found Blountstown easy to grow and propagate, I've had more trouble with Wakulla. I've tried a number of them yet have only two that grew to maturity and seeded for the first time in 2020. These tiny Sabals are as hardy as normal Sabal minors and can be planted or kept potted in deep pots.
      25 Wakulla Dwarf seeds + 25 Blountstown Dwarf seeds = $12.00
      Shipping = $5.00 in padded envelope. No shipping outside the US; no shipping to HI
      TOTAL = $18.00
      Payment via Paypal
      Photos
      Sabal minor Wakulla Dwarf

Sabal minor Blountstown Dwarf

• Mangaratiba
      By Mangaratiba
      Hi everyone
      It's my first germination experience and this is a beginner question. One of my Euterpe edulis orange Crownshaft starts to germinate in a ziplock bag. I moved the seeds and I want to be sure it's oriented in the right direction (up / down). Can someone confirm that the pink thing is indeed a plumule ?
      Thank you

• Eric Thompson
      By Eric Thompson
      I recently got around 100 Areca seeds from a plant in Niagara Falls. The majority of them still with the flesh on. I’ve tried using the baggie method with soil and perlite as well as paper towel with another group. It’s been 3 weeks and not seeing anything happening. I have now moved them into a done around 80 degrees. How long should I expect to see something happening. Thanks 
    • kitsune2
      By kitsune2
      One of my friends took some seeds from Los Angeles.  Of course, no photos of the trees  or their description. At the first picture the seeds collected from 3 different trees. Is it possible to identify by the seeds their species? Or at least narrow down the possible options. At the second photo you can see a sprout of the smallest seeds (at left). It seems to be blueish. At the right a seedling of Brahea edulis is shown for comparison.
      Many thanks in advance for any suggestions!

• maxum2610
      By maxum2610
      Here are a few pictures of my germination setup and nursery for the most tropical palms species. This is the second year I've been using this setup and it works great.

The germination box, the idea for which I blatantly stole from the Spanish section of the forum. I believe it was a post from 2008. In any case it's just a box made out spare insulation plates taped together:

Heating is by a good old fashioned incandescent light bulb with a temperature controller to keep it at around 32C. It does it's job nicely, very high germination rate. I used to use a propagator with bottom heat, but found that the soil dried out at the bottom too much. Germinated seeds often died because of it. With this system the heat is distributed evenly and so is the moisture in the bags and pots.

Currently cooking in here are:

Areca vestiaria

Arenga engleri

Licuala grandis

Archontophoenix alexandrae

Areca triendra

Howea fosteriana

Geonoma interrupta

Hyophorbe verschaffeltii

Licuala peltata var. sumawongii

Calyptrocalyx elegans

Ptychosperma schefferi

Dypsis Paludosa

Asterogyne martiana

Cyrtostachys renda

Iguanura elegans

Rhopalostylis sapida 'East Cape'

Rhopalostylis sp. 'Oceana'

My palm seedling nursery (or should I say nurseries because there are two of them), have been in use for two years now and consists of this (1):

with this below it filled with water (2):

both standing in this (3):

The main reason for doing this is because of the huge space it creates for relatively small floor space, but primarily because the humidity inside the tents is perfect. It does not using mist-makers which tend to promote fungus growth. The evaporation system works great and also elevates the temperature inside the tents to 30C and more. You can regulate temperature by regulating heat from propagators, and humidity via the same means and also by opening the zipper on the front flap of the tent. Light is provided cheap low watt led kitchen lighting. The seedling stay in here from November to the end of March. The rest of the year they're in the greenhouse.

Current tenants are:

Areca vestiaria Maroon

Arenga engleri

Licuala grandis

Archontophoenix alexandrae

Areca triendra

johannesteijsmannia magnifica

Butia capitata

Dypsis lanceolata

Howea fosteriana

Geonoma interrupta

Hyophorbe verschaffeltii