IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Blue Butia? Need Confirmation

Dartolution

Hey guys, 

While at a nursery here today I came across a 3 gallon Butia and picked it up. 

The fronds seem to spiral clockwise which is weird, and twist a little. 

It also appears blue/glaucous to me.

Thoughts? Is this odorata? It was labeled capitata but we all know about that. 

BButia207MAR2020.jpg

BButia307MAR2020.jpg

BButia107MAR2020.jpg

• Like 2

Nice find.  I'm not a id expert.   That should do much better in your zone.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Most Butia palms in the USA are mutts (odorata x yatay etc.)

Hi 87˚, Lo 51˚

Edited by Tom in Tucson
  • Upvote 1

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

Butias are quite variable.  Nice color on yours - here's one I recently purchased:

IMG_20190922_191534.jpg

• Like 7

Jon Sunder

8 hours ago, Fusca said:

Butias are quite variable.  Nice color on yours - here's one I recently purchased:

IMG_20190922_191534.jpg

That has houston garden centers written all over it. They were giving these away a couple months ago , back to full price now 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

T J 

17 minutes ago, Dartolution said:

Sadly mine wasn't free haha $32 locally.

That's a good deal =) 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

T J 

1 hour ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

That has houston garden centers written all over it. They were giving these away a couple months ago , back to full price now 

You got it!  :lol2:

21 minutes ago, Dartolution said:

Sadly mine wasn't free haha $32 locally.

This was a 7-gal for $21 (@70% off) back in September.  Bluest one I could find.

40 minutes ago, jimmyt said:

Thank God for HGC!

Indeed!

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 2

Jon Sunder

10 hours ago, Fusca said:

You got it!  :lol2:

This was a 7-gal for $21 (@70% off) back in September.  Bluest one I could find.

Indeed!

Now you guys are just rubbing it in.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Manalto said:

Now you guys are just rubbing it in.

They're definitely a "big box" garden center getting palms/plants in bulk, then marking them down to clear them out before Christmas trees take over.  Same plant is $70 right now so I usually don't get my palms from them at this time of the year!

Jon Sunder

Here is another picture of it today while outside. The fronds twist and curl. Is that normal?

BButia109MAR2020.jpg

6 hours ago, Dartolution said:

Here is another picture of it today while outside. The fronds twist and curl. Is that normal?

Yep. Some do it more then others. But that's pretty typical. 

20 hours ago, Fusca said:

They're definitely a "big box" garden center getting palms/plants in bulk, then marking them down to clear them out before Christmas trees take over.  Same plant is $70 right now so I usually don't get my palms from them at this time of the year!

Houston Garden Centers are kind of like Sears was. They always claim they are having a sale, the discount is just variable. Usually 50-75% on most plants, other rarer stuff maybe 25% off. I dont think I’ve ever been there and seen everything at full price 

Best picture yet in front of the red clay soil I have. 

Pardon the mess behind it. I am in the process of rebuilding a pondless waterfall and landscaping the back left corner of the back yard. 

Im actually kinda digging it there... hmmm ^_^

BButia110MAR2020.jpg

• Like 4

Yeah, it looks great. If it’s showing blue/silver at that size, it most definitely will be as an adult.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE!

Planted my Butia baby yesterday. 

Here is a picture of it after planting. 

BButia02APR2020.jpg

BButia202APR2020.jpg

Edited by Dartolution
added image
  • Like 16

Very nice waterfall you did there. The Butia goes perfectly with it! :greenthumb:

• Like 1

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

Waterfall looks great - care to swing by my place??

• Like 2

Thanks @Chester B and @James760. Thats only the top right corner of the water feature. 

I will probably post pictures of everything once things begin to fill in.

I will have a lot of detail and edge work to do. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Just a fun update on my Butia since I've been updating most all other threads I have. 

I suppose its settled because growth has suddenly picked up over the last couple of weeks.

BlueButia409JUL2020.thumb.jpg.07b0b23a8cf7f86e2305ad5517b77d5b.jpgBlueButia309JUL2020.thumb.jpg.66f4ba0e28480aa319ff2b5553dfd6da.jpgBlueButia209JUL2020.thumb.jpg.b86e50c6fa41a98be6c76c18dacd366a.jpgBlueButia109JUL2020.thumb.jpg.6975f98927b7581074e9951a070c1939.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

I think it's the heat.  Mine in a pot just started going bonkers.   Nice looking palm.

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

@Allen Thanks! Most likely so. We've had a long cool spring this year. The first "actual spring" that I can recall in my lifetime. 

• 2 months later...

great looking plant!

i meant to say hi over on the banana forum!

i have a similar looking plant except mine had a bad issue with yellowing...

i think i am slowly remedying this by adding sulphur which i read about on the forum here

thanks palmtalk!

• Like 1

On 3/8/2020 at 11:07 AM, Fusca said:

IMG_20190922_191534.jpg

They really are a good price. They were very silver at the one on Jones Rd. Then I figured out they had been overhead watered with a lot of lime and the the gray color scraped off. What a *bummer.

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

• 1 month later...

looks like butia silver form

• Like 1

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

1 minute ago, Dartolution said:

@climate change virginia It has vibrant blue petioles, and pretty glaucous/blue fronds. The petioles are a very vibrant blue/purple.

Probably my favorite butia, though I love Butias anyway. 

i know butias have very nice dramatic fronds they are one of my favorite palms

Edited by climate change virginia
  • Like 1

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

On 11/29/2020 at 1:43 PM, Palmfarmer said:

Looks Amazing by the waterfall. You think your microclimate will jump you to a 8b? will it need protection? 

@Palmfarmer Supposedly, the silver/blue form of Butia Odorata? is the cold hardiest for odorata/capitata. I think. haha

So far its seen 2 nights at 23 for 12 hours below freezing, 1 night at 27 for 12 hrs below freezing, and another at 30 for 8 hrs.  

If we have an arctic blast I will likely protect it otherwise Im leaving it be. 

Eriospatha is leaf hardier than odorata by a degree or two. Odorata is a degree or so hardier than the catarensis commonly found in florida.  Blue odorata is hardier than the greener odorata which I don't know how or why ir happens but they are.  

• Like 2

On 12/6/2020 at 11:33 AM, Dartolution said:

@Palmfarmer Supposedly, the silver/blue form of Butia Odorata? is the cold hardiest for odorata/capitata. I think. haha

So far its seen 2 nights at 23 for 12 hours below freezing, 1 night at 27 for 12 hrs below freezing, and another at 30 for 8 hrs.  

If we have an arctic blast I will likely protect it otherwise Im leaving it be. 

That is great. Mine is also blue, not sure what type of butia it is though. They look so tropical and is so hardy at the same time. What other stuff do you have in your collection? by the way do you have any experience with palms in Mobile, Alabama? What would grow there, Bismarckias possible? looks like a great place

On 11/27/2020 at 10:03 PM, Dartolution said:

Just love this little butia I planted April 1st. 

BlueButia127NOV2020.thumb.jpg.daf492af527d52e0945a66c01162f7db.jpg

Love it!   Def love the Blue/ silver ones.   You should zoom out for a wide shot of the whole corner!  Looks great!     Do you think it will ever outgrow that corner?  i know they are slower growers, but their trunks do get pretty FAT. 

• 4 months later...

A little over a year update. 

From 3 gallon to ... Id say 7 gallon at this point in a years time. 

Sailed through 16F and 36 hours below freezing this winter. 

BlueButia10APR2021.thumb.jpg.078d92650f63efd585f9b844427de17c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Dartolution said:

Sailed through 16F and 36 hours below freezing this winter. 

You might just have yourself a microclimate there. Local Butia have varying degree of freeze damage around here. Palm looks great I imagine it may outgrow that spot a lil :greenthumb:

T J 

• Like 1

T J