IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Anyone else’s palms itching to go outside?

kbob11

My container ranch is starting to get pretty stretched out.  Hopefully Going outside in a few weeks, fingers crossed!

C28E979A-AA42-4250-AE34-886CAD4588FA.jpeg

230BB7C7-9093-4E1A-9030-BB4066A2E24F.jpeg

• Like 4

Yes, and my other tropicals! This is not even all of them. You can also see what long term cool tempatures (50s) does to foxtail palm, since I had it in the garage. It is already growing again, and should recover. 

15831048086003875685804588195562.jpg

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Like 1

PalmTreeDude

My hardy stuff all went out yesterday.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

My indoor setup has proven very successful there is some mild stretching with some species. But all and all it’s good enough that I can leave them in 24/7 365 in the house and have no issues. Saying that there’s no substitute for Mother Nature and for me here at 43 degrees north our rule is no frost usually mid may. Sometimes it quits earlier so I’m hoping to start bringing some out end of April but realistically second week of May 

Every year I'm "amazed" how early the temps stabilized with lows above 40F, and I put my stuff out early.  (sometimes even early April)  

Every year I'm pissed that May is a Blustery Asshat and all my stuff gets blown over, bent, shredded and/or destroyed.  

Every year my stuff looks like crap trying to regrow until September, then it comes inside in October...  

I"m just going to shelter in place this year.

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2020 at 6:13 PM, kbob11 said:

My container ranch is starting to get pretty stretched out.  Hopefully Going outside in a few weeks, fingers crossed!

Nice collection of palms!  Yes, mine are also looking forward to the end of winter indoors.

My 10 foot foxtail goes outside on warm days at its winter home in zone 7a but it’s summer home is in the country in zone 6b

0D5C4950-91CB-4EED-8E46-5BF114108977.jpeg

@kbob11

The sago should be fine outside even if temps are in the upper 20s. My sagos are outside, although near the house. Both sagos were left for dead by the owners before, but i have nursed them back to health. The smallest sago almost had no fronds and was covered in mulch. I uncovered the little bit of trunk it had, and cut off the remaining fronds, this thing is thriving now with multiple rows of fronds! Based on what i have seen for your area in the near future, i would leave it inside until this storm passes.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

• 2 weeks later...

On a sunny day, I'll take my Phoenix canariensis outdoor for the day and bring it indoor in the evening. Good workout :)

20200322_124846.jpg

• Like 1