IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Which location for the coconut palm?

NickJames

4 hours ago, NickJames said:

I do not seem to get much ocean influence where I’m at. My weather seems to behave more like Sanford. I’m susceptible to rapid Temperature swings on clear nights I discovered. It seems I will be very prone to radiational cooling events. My temperature this winter would not go below 45 if there was wind. 

Impact at your location would be very dependent upon wind direction.

Winter Springs (Orlando area), Florida

Zone 9b/10a

1 hour ago, ck_in_fla said:

Impact at your location would be very dependent upon wind direction.

Wind was good for me this winter. Any wind at all would result in temp spikes of 10-15 degrees. I loved it. 

• 3 weeks later...

How long does it take the roots to establish when planting say a 7G Coconut 

On 3/16/2020 at 1:52 PM, NickJames said:

Wind was good for me this winter. Any wind at all would result in temp spikes of 10-15 degrees. I loved it. 

Are you allowed to hedge your property line?

1 hour ago, Patrick Palms said:

How long does it take the roots to establish when planting say a 7G Coconut 

I planted a 7G Jamaican Tall/Atlantic Tall in February and it started growing almost immediately.  To really get solidly rooted under ideal conditions (daytime temperature > 80F + adequate moisture), probably 2-3 months.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

1 hour ago, kinzyjr said:

Are you allowed to hedge your property line?

I planted a 7G Jamaican Tall/Atlantic Tall in February and it started growing almost immediately.  To really get solidly rooted under ideal conditions (daytime temperature > 80F + adequate moisture), probably 2-3 months.

Does this count as hedging? Lol. 

I’m in the process of basically “insulating” the backyard now. My only opening planned is along the entire back fence line so we retain the view of the state forest. Luckily this faces southeast. 

2E09FC90-CC87-4CD3-9359-C07C5C1A54B6.jpeg

48170F9C-C4FB-484A-9CF2-3D7959DAA045.jpeg

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, NickJames said:

Does this count as hedging? Lol. 

I’m in the process of basically “insulating” the backyard now. My only opening planned is along the entire back fence line so we retain the view of the state forest. Luckily this faces southeast.

Oh yes, it counts :)  You got a good plan going.  Hope you heal up quickly!

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

On 4/5/2020 at 1:07 AM, kinzyjr said:

Oh yes, it counts :)  You got a good plan going.  Hope you heal up quickly!

Update from today!

D4FDD552-2CA0-4AF5-83B0-F5E7A047DA1A.jpeg

• Like 4

Now that's starting to look like one of my crazy projects.  All you need to do now is change your mind at least 3 times in the middle, AFTER you've already taken up all the sod.  :yay:

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Merlyn2220 said:

Now that's starting to look like one of my crazy projects.  All you need to do now is change your mind at least 3 times in the middle, AFTER you've already taken up all the sod.  :yay:

Luckily this part is not on me...have a paver contractor! :)

1D650A67-1E82-4F79-9A39-2050BD32EAF6.jpeg

For the sake of your cervical and lumbar spine, good to see you contracted this. Because it appears you’ve planted over 300 gallons of palms in 2 months. (atta boy)

Thanks for the view from the roof or a drone.

Edited by awkonradi

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

10 hours ago, Oviedo_z10b_lol said:

For the sake of your cervical and lumbar spine, good to see you contracted this. Because it appears you’ve planted over 300 gallons of palms in 2 months. (atta boy)

Yes, I think it was those last couple field grown royals that did me in....

• Like 1