IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Which location for the coconut palm?

NickJames

Which location for the coconut palm? Trying to plant shortly...

compass included so you know which direction I was facing to take the photo  

This is facing out of my fixed windows in my family room  

keep in mind this is just the beginning of the backyard transformation 

71753B09-61DC-4A5F-82ED-183DCEBAB63C.thumb.png.d3d0e3cfe87c58f43fc4a49ce3a43682.png

EDD8CCE5-F560-4B54-B8FC-D336E4283935.jpeg

0657FE96-7185-413F-86D3-6059913213E6.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NOT A TA said:

Bottom pic gets my vote.

Bottom as well need to see that water mon 

• Like 1

I like the top one better. You can still see the water and in a couple years it’ll be tall enough it won’t block the water view at all. It’ll enhance the view from your window. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for all the input. Here it is, finally! You’ll see I put it on the left. 

Jeff - I agreed with your logic too. This is only the beginning and I’ll likely be putting other palms along there That grow fast. Since it’s really unknown whether it’ll survive - I put it more out of view should I need to dig it out ever. 

and don’t fear those of you who will say I need to clear more grass - that is coming. If you notice the orange painted lines on the yard, that’s where pavers will be going. I’m going to let them dig out the rest of the grass around it and didn’t want to put rocks down now and let them destroy it. Coated top with sand so my dogs didn’t track in a mess before I get a chance to rock it. Kind of sloped it down from the base of the tree. 

9EB2594B-459A-4246-8D6B-61AD385DD55B.jpeg

8B89952C-77E9-4108-999A-B3BA11A3996B.jpeg

5BF7356F-5735-4B39-ACA9-0529E430F6CF.jpeg

AE5ABBC7-C3EE-40BF-88CA-49BC0D66F927.jpeg

• Like 6

Absolutely beautiful. I can’t even put into words how jealous I am right now. 

@DoomsDave Obscenities?

Edited by Jeff985
  • Like 2

Best of luck @NickJames. I never had any luck with coconuts back when I lived in Port Orange.

• Like 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

5 hours ago, Jeff985 said:

Absolutely beautiful. I can’t even put into words how jealous I am right now. 

@DoomsDave Obscenities?

You won’t be jealous when I possibly have to remove it next year or in 5 or 10 whenever the next big freeze comes. :(

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Best of luck @NickJames. I never had any luck with coconuts back when I lived in Port Orange.

It’s my little experiment. Willing to take a $100 risk. It’s my fun. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NickJames said:

You won’t be jealous when I possibly have to remove it next year or in 5 or 10 whenever the next big freeze comes. :(

You can always protect it. Just as @Waltdoes. He's also in a Flahriduh 9B.

Check out his posts when you can.

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

11 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

You can always protect it. Just as @Waltdoes. He's also in a Flahriduh 9B.

Check out his posts when you can.

Thanks. 

I have a tentative plan. Hopefully I have the rest of the year to finalize it :)

• Like 2

And big thanks to everyone for indulging my 10000 posts. I never knew there was a group like this out there. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NOT A TA said:

Sooooo, wood burning brick pizza oven in the plans near the coco?

Fire pit!? Close enough!?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NickJames said:

Fire pit!? Close enough!?

Nice, make sure it's got enough mass to radiate heat through a cold night.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, NickJames said:

Even if it does only last 5 years. Getting to look at that thing for that long for $200... Worth it. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Jeff985 said:

Even if it does only last 5 years. Getting to look at that thing for that long for $200... Worth it. 

Hear, hear!

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Looks good where you put it! That being said, your triangle palm (as seen on your other posts) really is in your prime microclimate spot. You should consider moving the triangle and put something tender like another coconut or Adonidia there if you want to experiment more :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

2 hours ago, Jeff985 said:

Only $109 :)

unless you count sweat equity. 

I was SHOCKED at how heavy she was. 

• Like 1

I have a Green Malayan Dwarf in my front yard right off my front patio that has been in the ground for 4 winters here.  I think Daytona Beach and Corpus Christi have similar winter time climates, though you get significantly more rain over there than we do here, so I have to keep mine watered more than you would with yours.

John

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Looking good.  Where did you get it?

Check out my other recent coconut palm posts for back story - but got it at Home Depot in Titusville, FL. 15 G container. They also had 30G but this one seemed the best.  

I saw a 30G coconut palm at Home Depot in Lakeland last night as well. They seem To be getting them in across the state. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

I have a Green Malayan Dwarf in my front yard right off my front patio that has been in the ground for 4 winters here.  I think Daytona Beach and Corpus Christi have similar winter time climates, though you get significantly more rain over there than we do here, so I have to keep mine watered more than you would with yours.

John

What kind of exposure does it have? South only? Curious...

yes, our summers are typically very wet and winters typically very dry. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NickJames said:

Temps in the 40s tonight so I’ve made a makeshift heat solution!

EDC08E47-15FC-48E3-AFFD-C7F97F741BC3.jpeg

Anyone want to send me a coco here in AZ lol! I’m envious! Looks great. 40s for one night shouldn’t be an issue. 

• Like 2

Ok I thought this was cool. Got my coco and the SpaceX rocket in the same shot just now. 

71FEC476-7EEA-48B2-A10A-BA90A9F2D0F8.jpeg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, AZPalms said:

Anyone want to send me a coco here in AZ lol! I’m envious! Looks great. 40s for one night shouldn’t be an issue. 

She saw 91 on Wednesday and Thursday so hopefully she is happy!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Now it has to be cool watching SpaceX launches from your house! 

Pretty cool! I’m in Daytona and my backyard faces south so it’s great. 

C727CDBB-625C-41A8-B732-4446C87C8B30.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NickJames said:

Pretty cool! I’m in Daytona and my backyard faces south so it’s great. 

C727CDBB-625C-41A8-B732-4446C87C8B30.jpeg

Here in the Orlando area, all we have to do is look East to see the launches.  As long as the clouds cooperate, I can normally see the booster separation from my Winter Springs yard.  Launches these days are pretty cool.  But when I was in college, back in the early days of what would become UCF, we used to go to the roof of the Library Building to watch the Saturn V moon launches.  Those were the most impressive launches I ever witnessed.  Then, in the mid-1980's, I drove over to the coast with a friend to watch a night launch of the Space Shuttle.  We were in the Barnett Bank parking lot on the Indian River in Titusville.  That launch literally turned night into day.

Looking at your pictures really took me back.  Thanks!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Winter Springs (Orlando area), Florida

Zone 9b/10a

On 3/2/2020 at 8:20 AM, NickJames said:

What kind of exposure does it have? South only? Curious...

yes, our summers are typically very wet and winters typically very dry. 

The front of my house faces the east southeast, so that is the direction the palm is facing with the house to the back of it with some decent protection from the north and northwest, but the tops of the tallest leaves are above the top of the roofline now, so really only protection for the lower part of the crown and trunk.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2020 at 6:28 AM, ck_in_fla said:

Here in the Orlando area, all we have to do is look East to see the launches.  As long as the clouds cooperate, I can normally see the booster separation from my Winter Springs yard.  Launches these days are pretty cool.  But when I was in college, back in the early days of what would become UCF, we used to go to the roof of the Library Building to watch the Saturn V moon launches.  Those were the most impressive launches I ever witnessed.  Then, in the mid-1980's, I drove over to the coast with a friend to watch a night launch of the Space Shuttle.  We were in the Barnett Bank parking lot on the Indian River in Titusville.  That launch literally turned night into day.

Looking at your pictures really took me back.  Thanks!

I’ve actually seen them in Tampa and St. Pete. Granted it’s not as impressive as being right there, but it’s pretty cool you can watch the launches 100+ miles away

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Like 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

1 hour ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

The front of my house faces the east southeast, so that is the direction the palm is facing with the house to the back of it with some decent protection from the north and northwest, but the tops of the tallest leaves are above the top of the roofline now, so really only protection for the lower part of the crown and trunk.

Wow. I have a two story house so it won’t have any northern exposure until it’s about 24 feet tall - God willing it gets that large! I’m not optimistic!?

• Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 7:03 PM, NickJames said:

Wow. I have a two story house so it won’t have any northern exposure until it’s about 24 feet tall - God willing it gets that large! I’m not optimistic!?

A two story house would definitely provide a better microclimate than what I have.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2020 at 6:18 PM, NickJames said:

Temps in the 40s tonight so I’ve made a makeshift heat solution!

EDC08E47-15FC-48E3-AFFD-C7F97F741BC3.jpeg

Don't pamper it too much, or it won't toughen up enough to make it through chillier winters.  A few nights in the 40'sF shouldn't phase it at all except for maybe a little spotting on the leaves.  I would only use the Christmas lights if it is predicted to get below 32F.  Even exposing it to a couple of light frosts/light freezes (down to 32F or even 31F) unprotected the size it is should help toughen it up enough to help it make it through chillier winters.  I even try to expose my younger ones in pots to at least 2 or 3 nights with temps in the mid to upper 30'sF in the wintertime and about a dozen or more nights in the 40'sF to help toughen them up.  I only bring them inside if the low temp is predicted to get below 35F, or if there is extended chilly daytime weather predicted, especially if it is accompanied by chilly drizzle or light rain for any length of time.

• Like 1

So here’s something interesting particularly as it relates to my coconut palm and now royal palms.

I suppose you get the benefit of not living oceanfront in Daytona this time of year. 

It was 86.7 in my backyard today while it was simultaneously 73 degrees on the beach. I assume this is due to the ocean water still being so cold.

Hoping this bodes well for my tropical palms!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NickJames said:

So here’s something interesting particularly as it relates to my coconut palm and now royal palms.

I suppose you get the benefit of not living oceanfront in Daytona this time of year. 

It was 86.7 in my backyard today while it was simultaneously 73 degrees on the beach. I assume this is due to the ocean water still being so cold.

Hoping this bodes well for my tropical palms!

This time of year, the water temperature in the Atlantic can cause this when the wind is blowing in from the East.  The water off Volusia County is around 70F.  This is why your temperatures are lower than over here in Orlando.  Today, for example, it should be around 77F or 78F where you are while here in the Metropolitan Orlando area it will be in the mid 80's.  In the colder time of the year (December/January), the opposite can occur.  When a big cold front comes through the state, the water can actually keep the daytime highs higher on the coast than here in inland Central Florida.

• Like 1

Winter Springs (Orlando area), Florida

Zone 9b/10a

How are those coconuts at the South end of Daytona doing near Ponce Inlet?

What you look for is what is looking

2 hours ago, ck_in_fla said:

This time of year, the water temperature in the Atlantic can cause this when the wind is blowing in from the East.  The water off Volusia County is around 70F.  This is why your temperatures are lower than over here in Orlando.  Today, for example, it should be around 77F or 78F where you are while here in the Metropolitan Orlando area it will be in the mid 80's.  In the colder time of the year (December/January), the opposite can occur.  When a big cold front comes through the state, the water can actually keep the daytime highs higher on the coast than here in inland Central Florida.

I do not seem to get much ocean influence where I’m at. My weather seems to behave more like Sanford. I’m susceptible to rapid Temperature swings on clear nights I discovered. It seems I will be very prone to radiational cooling events. My temperature this winter would not go below 45 if there was wind.