IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Looking for some tips/tricks for cleaning Bismarck seeds!

missknich

Hello! I’m interested in trying to grow a large quantity of Bismarckia nobilis (Silver Bismarck) trees from seeds. I am located in South Florida, and I’ve collected about a thousand seeds and citrus pots from neighboring growers. I’ve read through every thread on this site about Bismarcks, but I’m still lacking the knowledge I need to get started. I soaked the fruited seeds (mostly brown, some still greenish) in water for 4 days, changing the water daily. Per advice on this site I tried cleaning the fruit with a wire brush rigged to a drill and it didn’t make a dent. I then tried a cement mixer with sand, gravel, water, and seeds and after running for 45 minutes, the fruit was still entirely intact on all but a few seeds. I’m at a loss of what to try next, short of putting the seeds in a sack and running them over with the truck. I’m also interested in this community’s view on community pots/beds for the Bismarcks versus raising them in their own pot from a seed. I’m really looking forward to experimenting with this magnificent palm using different methods and growing mediums, I just need to figure out how to get these things cleaned! Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

17DB459E-A96E-46F4-BB70-88F3EC0DDA73.jpeg

Can't be specific for Bizzies but pectinase breaks down the seed coat of hard to clean seeds in my experience,

Had B fenestralis that after treating could peel with my fingers. Otherwise a knife

Steve

Welcome to PalmTalk!  Some folks soak the hard-to-clean seeds in a weak to moderate strength acid in order to simulate going through the digestive track.  Other options have already been posted by others above... but be careful with the knife ;)

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Welcome, one trick I have used is a paint mixer attachment for my drill and a 5 gallon bucket of water. let them soak for a while to soften up the meat then give it a whirl with the paint mixer. Another technique if you have a cement mixer is to use some gravel mixed in with the seeds and it will tumble the flesh off.

• Like 1

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

3 hours ago, sgvcns said:

Had B fenestralis that after treating could peel with my fingers. Otherwise a knife

Steve

I gotta ask: How old was that B. Fenestralis when is first produced seed?

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

12 hours ago, sgvcns said:

Can't be specific for Bizzies but pectinase breaks down the seed coat of hard to clean seeds in my experience,

Steve

Thank you! I just ordered some on Amazon and will give it a try as soon as it arrives!

12 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

I can offer no advice, but Welcome To Palmtalk ! :)

Thank you for the warm welcome!

12 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

Welcome to PalmTalk!  Some folks soak the hard-to-clean seeds in a weak to moderate strength acid in order to simulate going through the digestive track.  Other options have already been posted by others above... but be careful with the knife ;)

Thank you so much! I’ll do some research on using acids!

8 hours ago, The Germinator said:

Welcome, one trick I have used is a paint mixer attachment for my drill and a 5 gallon bucket of water. let them soak for a while to soften up the meat then give it a whirl with the paint mixer. Another technique if you have a cement mixer is to use some gravel mixed in with the seeds and it will tumble the flesh off.

Thanks for the welcome! I tried both of these methods already with no luck, they’re some tough seeds!

5 hours ago, Palms Brisbane said:

Hi,

Have you seen my posts? My experience and worked well. Have some germinating already.

and

I had not seen your posts before, thank you for linking them! That was a wealth of information! I can’t wait to get mine started!

• 2 years later...
On 2/28/2020 at 3:56 AM, Palms Brisbane said:

Hi,

Have you seen my posts? My experience and worked well. Have some germinating already.

and

Thanks for the pics I have the same question. Mine are holding nicely but they have been this same green for 4 or 5 months with no signs of ripening. What is the optimum color to harvest at ?

bizmarckia_nobilis_F1_SEEDS.jpg

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

25 minutes ago, Alan_Tampa said:

Leave on ground. Pick up in a month. Clean.

That’s exactly how I’ve done it. The outer husk when really ripe will soften in water if it’s really ripe. My sister has a female tree that’s been dropping seeds for years. No males for miles around. So I tried a few to see if viable and a small percentage germinate even with no access to a male. 

So letting the seeds fall and letting the bugs get to them actually helps in cleaning them. These are a desert savannah style palm so the seeds can handle sitting around on the ground for ages anyway. 

As for germinating them, I’ve done it before where I place the seeds in a plastic container half buried in pure perlite that’s moist with a layer of moist spaghnum on top and left them in a warm to hot place checking them every few days for signs of germination. Once they pop put them in their own deep container in free draining mix and wait a good while for any above ground activity. These go looking for water long before they do much above ground. It’s all about the roots with these. Also don’t let them root into the ground because they just hate their roots being disturbed. 

• Like 2

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.