IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Surprising Find at Lowe’s

Johnny Palmseed

They had 2 of these at our closest Lowe’s in Rockledge Florida. I thought the price was fair at $199 but I have not been looking for these so I’m not sure. Probably had close to 2’ of trunk. And they were labeled correctly as old man palm. I do not recall ever seeing these before at a big box store.

7C2C6390-A594-458E-9038-6F59C9DDF3D0.jpeg

• Like 8

Nice find!  We get hairy trunked fan palms at our big box stores all the time, but alas they are Trachycarpus fortunei... :( 

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

Very fair price plus a 1 year guarantee.I would have bought both!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

12 minutes ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

They had 2 of these at our closest Lowe’s in Rockledge Florida. I thought the price was fair at $199 but I have not been looking for these so I’m not sure. Probably had close to 2’ of trunk. And they were labeled correctly as old man palm. I do not recall ever seeing these before at a big box store.

7C2C6390-A594-458E-9038-6F59C9DDF3D0.jpeg

Nice! What else did they have there? Should I drive down from Daytona Beach? LOL

16 minutes ago, NickJames said:

Nice! What else did they have there? Should I drive down from Daytona Beach? LOL

They had some coconuts similar to your find but they were $169. Hard to say if they were larger. Also the typical foxtails and bottles. Nothing out of the ordinary like these. They did have thrinax radiata in a small maybe 3 gallon for about $20.

Edited by Johnny Palmseed
Added thrinax
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

They had some coconuts similar to your find but they were $169. Hard to say if they were larger. Also the typical foxtails and bottles. Nothing out of the ordinary like these. They did have thrinax radiata in a small maybe 3 gallon for about $20.

The $169 ones at Lowe’s are 26 gallons so actually 11 gallons larger as far as the container goes....! Home Depot does 15 and 30 for coconuts. 

A few weeks ago the Lowe's in Lake Nona (Narcoossee Rd) also has the same Old Man Palms at $199.  I bought a $99 2' tall one last summer and it's done well so far.  Their stock seems to be pretty random, but I did pick up a pair of trunking Spindles there for $50 each last summer too.  

2 hours ago, NickJames said:

The $169 ones at Lowe’s are 26 gallons so actually 11 gallons larger as far as the container goes....! Home Depot does 15 and 30 for coconuts. 

Yeah the pot sizes were different from standard. The old man palms were 14 gallon.

2 hours ago, aztropic said:

Very fair price plus a 1 year guarantee.I would have bought both!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

The old me from 10-15 years ago would have. I had a bad habit of buying what looked especially good or was a deal even though I had no place for it. I ended up with plants in pots all over the place. Some of which grew through the pot and rooted in the ground. Really not a great way to landscape.

• Like 1