RainForestt Robert

So many Old Man Palms

RainForestt Robert

While vacationing on Grand Cayman I came across  two potted  Coccothrinax crinita. I was duly impressed. However I was totally flabbergasted as I counted twenty more as I walked further up the street. 

114F6706-7EFC-4350-8406-BCE710146603.jpeg

C9379FA9-6BCA-4D8C-BCE1-EAD661D28F64.jpeg

EB69CC91-CAEA-4F6F-843B-A982007A4567.jpeg

432EFE3D-9F4A-456C-90AE-7374327CB1D9.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Upvote 1

Kim

:o Wow! Those are taller than any I've ever seen. Looks like they've been shaved some over the years? I prefer the full-bearded look on these guys!

Good to hear from you, Robert!

• Like 1

Stevetoad

those are huge. theyre tall enough where i probable wouldnt have noticed them. i wonder how old they are...

• Like 1

PALM MOD

Welcome back Robert - It's been a while. :greenthumb:

• Like 2

Rickybobby

In pots why? So amazing great palms!

• Like 1

www.dadluvsu.com

ROBERT!!!!  How yuh goin?!  Long time...

Great photos of amazing palms!  Got some good height, how tall you say?

• Like 1

RainForestt Robert

Good to have something nice to post. 

These palms are at least 8-10 feet tall. I’m guessing that they’re in pots because of the design of the streetscape and the filler plants. Awesome look though. 

• Like 2

bubba

This is an old local hombre294BD126-63B2-4D73-AB70-FA548953AC6A.thumb.jpeg.814c41fd66f89653a1bb4c081861480c.jpeg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I have a pot of 7 strap-leaf year-old seedlings from my Coccothrinax crinita brevicrinus mother palm. It is rarer than the desired Coccothrinax crinita crinita but I have found it much easier to grow here in Cape Coral. Both subspecies are native to Cuba.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coccothrinax_crinita
      Coccothrinax crinita brevicrinus 7 strap leaf seedlings: $20.00 for the lot
      Shipping = $10.00 Flat Rate Priority Mail
      No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI
      Payment via Paypal
      PM me if you are interested. Give me your name/address to copy/paste on a mailing label. I will PM back a quote. When you pay, tell me.
      NOTE: Please give me 24 hours to respond. After 24 hours, send me a civil reminder.
      Photos

Mother Palm

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      For sale is one lot of 50 seeds of Coccothrinax crinita brevicrinus from my mother palm. For lovers of cutesy names this is commonly called the "Short-haired Old Man Palm." This endangered subspecies of the commoner Coccothrinax crinita is native to seasonally wet grasslands and hills of western Cuba. Its trunk is covered by short hair-like fibers. I have both subspecies and find that brevicrinus is easier to grow and less finicky. It has flowered and set seeds for years while my largest crinita has never flowered. Fruit and seeds are large by Coccothrinax standards and growth is moderate. It has large, relaxed dark green leaves.
      Coccothrinax crinita brevicrinus: 50 seeds @ $10.00 for the lot. One Lot Only
      Shipping = $5.00 in padded envelope. No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI
      TOTAL = $15.00
      Payment via Paypal. PM me if you are interested.
      Photos

Mother Palm

• Tracy
      By Tracy
      No not me, the plant. 

• Miami_grower
      By Miami_grower
      Three old men (Coccothrinax crinita) a few houses apart.
      Picture 1 & 2 of same two palms. The smaller palm, the older one)is actually recovering quite well from a full storm toppling, 15 or so years ago.  For the last two years its has outgrown is younger colleague. Both produce seeds.
      The third palm was added to the neighborhood a few weeks before Hurricane Irma.  It had a Irma-induced lean of about 30° off center, but was quickly righted.

• Miami_grower
      By Miami_grower
      Three old men (Coccothrinax crinita) a few houses apart.
      Picture 1 & 2 of same two palms. The smaller palm, the older one)is actually recovering quite well from a full storm toppling, 15 or so years ago.  For the last two years it has outgrown is younger colleague. Both produce seeds.
      The third palm was added to the neighborhood a few weeks before Hurricane Irma.  It had a Irma-induced lean of about 30° off center, but was quickly righted.