Sign in to follow this  
PalmTreeDude

Palms With Fat Crownshafts?

PalmTreeDude

What are some palms with fat crownshafts (and trunks, I'm assuming)? I have seen some pictures of Rhopalostylis sapida with fat crownshafts as well as pictures of Dypsis decipiens. Are there any more palms that get large crownshafts? Any pictures? 

Jeff985

Hyophorbe lagenicaulis, hyophorbe verschaffeltii, roystonea. I’ll think of more if others don’t beat me to it. 

• Upvote 1

GottmitAlex

Wodyetia bifurcata, the foxtail palm, can get fat.

IMG_20160131_145903.jpg.36785902b7a1d49b1b09200c7fb4ce05.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

DoomsDave

A lot depends on how you define “fat”!

ALL this mentioned above AND Chambeyroneas oh I want my mommy

C3BA7101-BFEB-4E1A-AD4D-6ACADD5802B1.thumb.jpeg.bb2f588cb593947d805ff1ac7d6aeecc.jpeg09FC7D4F-68BA-40CF-9769-B9879E3466B6.thumb.jpeg.7d62c0794789ef966680ee898a1b0359.jpegBE7C76C9-3CED-46AF-A04D-587C1A507F71.thumb.jpeg.410860931159d75fbef31ce6e91226cb.jpegADA71BA2-D49B-4248-B1DD-06BFC515C410.thumb.jpeg.2021f99b7d0636b5cc94bb36c0a6c6fd.jpegA1DA61C0-1A68-45D9-BC57-517CBD4BEAF3.thumb.jpeg.42e76799169eb45586f57d207fa47e85.jpeg

• Like 1

DoomsDave

Well maybe not THAT FAT but glorious nevertheless!

• Like 1

DoomsDave

And Roystonea 

Expletive regia

E3D6D3E5-B207-4886-A632-9F7B6FBE7229.thumb.jpeg.76dfba3565c8415bcb56e65425e5e684.jpeg

• Like 3

Jeff985
4 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Well maybe not THAT FAT but glorious nevertheless!

Agreed. The red leaves get all the attention but to me the trunk is the real show stopper on a chambeyronia. I wish mine had a trunk. It’s just a crownshaft and four fronds. 

James B

If you have 15 plus years Rhopalostylis takes the cake. This picture still blows my mind. The only palm I’d add is there is a variant of Archontophoenix Cunninghamiana that has a much more bulbous and robust crown shaft than the other types of King palms. Most these days are the thinner form at least in Socal but I do have a quad of this type that is still a juvenile but will eventually have what I am talking about.

A009ED58-B8AF-4B49-8B2A-B13BE01C9C5E.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

SWFLchris

dictyosperma album var. conjugatum

• Like 1

DoomsDave
11 minutes ago, James B said:

If you have 15 plus years Rhopalostylis takes the cake. This picture still blows my mind. The only palm I’d add is there is a variant of Archontophoenix Cunninghamiana that has a much more bulbous and robust crown shaft than the other types of King palms. Most these days are the thinner form at least in Socal but I do have a quad of this type that is still a juvenile but will eventually have what I am talking about.

A009ED58-B8AF-4B49-8B2A-B13BE01C9C5E.jpeg

EXPLETIVES LOUDLY SCREAMED

very

sometimes obesity can be lovely 

• Like 2

James B

Everything on Roystonea Regia is massive so it’s crownshaft kinda gets understated due to its trunk which can get wider than a door frame lol. DoomsDave has some in his garden that are monsters! 

There is also one at Balboa Park that is only about 20-25 feet tall but it’s crownshaft must be 6 feet by 2 feet across 

• Like 1

DoomsDave

I scream expletives every time I walk out the front door

neighbors are used to it voice gaining power 

• Like 1

James B

This is the Royal at Balboa Park I was speaking of. This is pic is from January of 2019. My daughter and I for scale. I was there with the family last month I should have snapped another pic. It’s even bigger today.

98E5B04E-4221-46EC-BF7A-5D01EDDBB7C4.png

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

mnorell

That Rhopalostylis picture is quite impressive indeed! And obviously many crownshafted palms get very fat at the crownshaft when a spathe is trying to push its way out from underneath. Of those, I always think of Burretiokentia vieillardii, which not only has a very fat, bulgy crownshaft under those conditions but also the most beautiful markings! 

Some good examples shown in the photos in the listing here: Burretiokentia vieillardii at Palmpedia

• Like 1

Tracy
On 2/23/2020 at 5:18 PM, PalmTreeDude said:

fat crownshafts (and trunks, I'm assuming)

When I think of fat crownshafts, I think of a contrast relative to the trunk as opposed to just a fat trunked and crownshafted palm.  So Rhopalostylis sapida is a classic example.  As Mnorell points out above some but not all crownshafted palms get a pretty bulbous look when pusing out a spathe.  I immediately thought of Burretiokentia hapala since it is almost always pushing a flower spathe and has that swollen look relative to the trunk below.  So it depends on what you intended when you said palms with fat crownshafts as you did leave the door open to not only bulbous crownshafts but fat trunks.

20200219-104A5695.jpg

• Like 4

pietropuccio
Darold Petty

Rhopalostylis sapida 'Chatham Island'

R. sapida 'Chatham Is.' #2 (Medium).JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2