IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PalmTreeDude

What are some palms with fat crownshafts (and trunks, I'm assuming)? I have seen some pictures of Rhopalostylis sapida with fat crownshafts as well as pictures of Dypsis decipiens. Are there any more palms that get large crownshafts? Any pictures? 

PalmTreeDude

Hyophorbe lagenicaulis, hyophorbe verschaffeltii, roystonea. I’ll think of more if others don’t beat me to it. 

• Upvote 1

Wodyetia bifurcata, the foxtail palm, can get fat.

IMG_20160131_145903.jpg.36785902b7a1d49b1b09200c7fb4ce05.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

A lot depends on how you define “fat”!

ALL this mentioned above AND Chambeyroneas oh I want my mommy

C3BA7101-BFEB-4E1A-AD4D-6ACADD5802B1.thumb.jpeg.bb2f588cb593947d805ff1ac7d6aeecc.jpeg09FC7D4F-68BA-40CF-9769-B9879E3466B6.thumb.jpeg.7d62c0794789ef966680ee898a1b0359.jpegBE7C76C9-3CED-46AF-A04D-587C1A507F71.thumb.jpeg.410860931159d75fbef31ce6e91226cb.jpegADA71BA2-D49B-4248-B1DD-06BFC515C410.thumb.jpeg.2021f99b7d0636b5cc94bb36c0a6c6fd.jpegA1DA61C0-1A68-45D9-BC57-517CBD4BEAF3.thumb.jpeg.42e76799169eb45586f57d207fa47e85.jpeg

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Well maybe not THAT FAT but glorious nevertheless!

• Like 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

And Roystonea 

Expletive regia

E3D6D3E5-B207-4886-A632-9F7B6FBE7229.thumb.jpeg.76dfba3565c8415bcb56e65425e5e684.jpeg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Well maybe not THAT FAT but glorious nevertheless!

Agreed. The red leaves get all the attention but to me the trunk is the real show stopper on a chambeyronia. I wish mine had a trunk. It’s just a crownshaft and four fronds. 

If you have 15 plus years Rhopalostylis takes the cake. This picture still blows my mind. The only palm I’d add is there is a variant of Archontophoenix Cunninghamiana that has a much more bulbous and robust crown shaft than the other types of King palms. Most these days are the thinner form at least in Socal but I do have a quad of this type that is still a juvenile but will eventually have what I am talking about.

A009ED58-B8AF-4B49-8B2A-B13BE01C9C5E.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, James B said:

If you have 15 plus years Rhopalostylis takes the cake. This picture still blows my mind. The only palm I’d add is there is a variant of Archontophoenix Cunninghamiana that has a much more bulbous and robust crown shaft than the other types of King palms. Most these days are the thinner form at least in Socal but I do have a quad of this type that is still a juvenile but will eventually have what I am talking about.

A009ED58-B8AF-4B49-8B2A-B13BE01C9C5E.jpeg

EXPLETIVES LOUDLY SCREAMED

very

sometimes obesity can be lovely 

• Like 3

Everything on Roystonea Regia is massive so it’s crownshaft kinda gets understated due to its trunk which can get wider than a door frame lol. DoomsDave has some in his garden that are monsters! 

There is also one at Balboa Park that is only about 20-25 feet tall but it’s crownshaft must be 6 feet by 2 feet across 

• Like 1

I scream expletives every time I walk out the front door

neighbors are used to it voice gaining power 

• Like 1

This is the Royal at Balboa Park I was speaking of. This is pic is from January of 2019. My daughter and I for scale. I was there with the family last month I should have snapped another pic. It’s even bigger today.

98E5B04E-4221-46EC-BF7A-5D01EDDBB7C4.png

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

That Rhopalostylis picture is quite impressive indeed! And obviously many crownshafted palms get very fat at the crownshaft when a spathe is trying to push its way out from underneath. Of those, I always think of Burretiokentia vieillardii, which not only has a very fat, bulgy crownshaft under those conditions but also the most beautiful markings! 

Some good examples shown in the photos in the listing here: Burretiokentia vieillardii at Palmpedia

• Like 1

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

On 2/23/2020 at 5:18 PM, PalmTreeDude said:

fat crownshafts (and trunks, I'm assuming)

When I think of fat crownshafts, I think of a contrast relative to the trunk as opposed to just a fat trunked and crownshafted palm.  So Rhopalostylis sapida is a classic example.  As Mnorell points out above some but not all crownshafted palms get a pretty bulbous look when pusing out a spathe.  I immediately thought of Burretiokentia hapala since it is almost always pushing a flower spathe and has that swollen look relative to the trunk below.  So it depends on what you intended when you said palms with fat crownshafts as you did leave the door open to not only bulbous crownshafts but fat trunks.

20200219-104A5695.jpg

• Like 4

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

59 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

Rhopalostylis sapida 'Chatham Island'

R. sapida 'Chatham Is.' #2 (Medium).JPG

Nice example of a "fat crownshaft" as opposed to a fat trunk.  Perhaps this old post will be helpful for some  https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/4184-what-is-a-crownshaft/

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation