Sign in to follow this  
aztropic

Coccothrinax scoparia revisited,February 2020

aztropic

In October 2006,the IPS sponsored a trip to the Dominican Republic to view native palms in situ.Fast forward 14 years for another peek at this specific, spectacular,remote area, occupied by Coccothrinax scoparia.This is a medium sized "high elevation" palm that grows mostly in shady,pine forests.Tree is very similar to Coccothrinax montana,another Dominican mountain palm,the easiest identifier being white fruits on montana vs. traditional purple cocco fruits on scoparia.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20200216_081609118.jpg

• Like 2

aztropic

Undersides,scoparia leaf first,montana leaf second.Scoparia generally is about half silver underneath while montana is mostly green.Both are a full 360 degrees plus.

IMG_20200216_091521284.jpg

IMG_20200216_160114786.jpg

• Like 4

aztropic

Ripe seed has a purple fruit but once cleaned,reveals a whitish tan seed.

Thanks for stopping by.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20200222_105244949.jpg

• Like 1

Palmarum

A great part of a great Biennial.

Ryan

• Like 1

Stevetoad

so glad i planted one of these. great pics! thanks for sharing them. That rock looks like the geology we look for in the desert when gold hunting.   

aztropic

The area is actually an old bauxite mine,the mineral used to produce aluminum.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

aztropic

This is my only scoparia.Growing well,but still in a pot.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20200225_113637868.jpg

• Like 3

aztropic

Some scoparia seeds are FINALLY sprouting! Excessive heat here may have kept the seeds dormant, or killed some outright? They have been exposed to 115F inside a shaded greenhouse on several occasions already...

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15935570532745389377933314819359.jpg

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• GMann
      By GMann
      This is my last drone video from our trip to Dominican Republic. It is Leonel Mera's palm collection at his ranch near Santiago. We arrived a little late in the day and we had a long drive that evening to get down to the south side of the island so we did not have a lot of time here. So unfortunately I was only able to do one flight on one side of his property. The video covers about half of his collection. There were quite a few bigger Copernicias on the other side that I did not get to film.

• aztropic
      By aztropic
      Collected a few seeds from the palms we visited on a recent trip to the Dominican Republic.In less than 3 weeks,both of these species are already sprouting!
      Fresh seed sure does have its advantages.

aztropic
      Mesa,Arizona

• GMann
      By GMann
      Another drone video from my recent trip to the Dominican Republic. This is the natural habitat of Pseudophoenix vinifera, just outside the town of Azua. This location was visited by the IPA group trip back in 2006. But it was much more green at that time due to the season. The closest palm to the road that many of you took photos of has died. But there were many others that I was able to reach with the drone up on the hill. Looking on Google Maps I can now see with hindsight that just beyond the hill there were many more palms in a valley that I did not capture with the drone, I am a little annoyed that I did not realize that at the time. But this was the last day of the trip and all my memory cards were full of amazing footage and so I was a little scared of losing the drone and with it one of the precious memory cards so I was purposefully not flying it too far away from me. Nevertheless I still think I got some pretty good footage of the habitat. What the video does not quite capture is that the habitat stretches on quite a way with may more specimens beyond the hill.

Thanks again to Leonel Mera for bringing us to the spot.
    • Hillizard
      By Hillizard
      Via an IPS tweet I saw this morning: Enjoy this drone video by Leon Mera of his awesome palm collection in the Dominican Republic:  https://youtu.be/Ci4VeLKT7GU 
    • Moose
      By Moose
      Coccothrinax spissa flowering for its very first time.