IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is there such a thing as blue/silver coloured feather palms?

KentiaPalm

I tried googling this and to no avail.

The only thing I can think of is Pindo Palms but they are slightly green,

but I’m thinking more like bismarckia’s blue.

anyone know ? 

Edited by KentiaPalm

I have a blue pindo.  It”s supposed to be a blue pindoxjubaea. But I think it is primarily pindo..  A Florida person on eBay sells some but buy warily.

Edited by Allen

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

38 minutes ago, KentiaPalm said:

I tried googling this and to no avail.

The only thing I can think of is Pindo Palms but they are slightly green,

but I’m thinking more like bismarckia’s blue.

anyone know ? 

Butia and Jubaea are the only pinnate palms with bluish color that I am aware of - at least for cold hardy palms.  And only some show this trait.

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 1

Jon Sunder

Thanks for the correct nomenclature Fusca “pinnate” what about tropical varieties?

look at this Jubaea x Butia hybrid 

gorgeous

E5EF990F-3CD5-4B7D-8AEC-2A65773E2E49.jpeg

Edited by KentiaPalm
  • Like 2

I don't know of any tropical varieties.  I just remembered that Phoenix dactylifera and theophrasti can also have bluish color.  This theophrasti at Kopsick is the closest that I have ever seen to the color of Bismarckia:

1994731668_Phoenixtheophrasti.thumb.jpg.de4805bc0a5ff693c4a93627b33ca3d9.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

Jon Sunder

Some of the smaller Syagrus species are somewhat blue also.  Syagrus campylopatha is another example - photo courtesy of Palmpedia:

Syagrus_campylospatha.jpg

• Like 3

Jon Sunder

11 hours ago, Fusca said:

I don't know of any tropical varieties.  I just remembered that Phoenix dactylifera and theophrasti can also have bluish color.  This theophrasti at Kopsick is the closest that I have ever seen to the color of Bismarckia:

1994731668_Phoenixtheophrasti.thumb.jpg.de4805bc0a5ff693c4a93627b33ca3d9.jpg

That's just stunning! I can die now.

Edited by Manalto
  • Like 3

Arenga Engleri and Arenga Micrantha both have green tops and very silver bottoms on the leaves.  Some types of Phoenix Sylvestris are also very blue, but don't quite reach the silver-white of a really good Bismarck.

You can sort of see the silvery-white undersides on Micrantha here:

https://www.rarepalmseeds.com/arenga-micrantha

Oraniopsis appendiculata and some Orania species can sometimes have a silver underside of the leaves. But nothing like Bismarckia.

I believe that in many "blue" palms, the coloration is the result of a waxy coating that serves to protect the leaves from extreme cold (silver Bismarckia & blue Jubaea are coldhardier than green ones) or harsh sun (Coccothrinax Azul, Phoenix spp) and dessication from weather extremes. I also believe more palmate species by far can tolerate/survive weather extremes than can any pinnate palm. 

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

On 2/24/2020 at 4:58 PM, PalmatierMeg said:

I believe that in many "blue" palms, the coloration is the result of a waxy coating that serves to protect the leaves from extreme cold...

In the general plant world, the cuticle serves to protect against drought, as with succulent and cactus species. I never thought of it as a protection against cold, but that makes sense.