IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PSSC MARCH 21, 2020 MEETING, LUNCH AND AUCTION

DoomsDave

Dear PSSC members:

I am greatly pleased to announce that our March 21, 2020 meeting, luncheon and auction will be at the homes and gardens of Carl Hartman and Alex Kutas in Huntington Beach, Orange County. (You know this is California, right?)

The first garden will be Carl's garden at 18722 Jockey Circle, Huntington Beach, CA 92648. The PSSC Board meeting will be held here, along with garden tours. Lunch will be served, and the auction will be conducted at Alex's garden, at 6761 Corral Circle. Both gardens are in walking distance of each other, so parking between the two is recommended. There is plenty of on-street parking and Saddleback Lane is perfect as it is between both properties.

Carl's descent into palm madness started when he was a boy after his father read him "The Jungle Book" which filled his head with visions of tropical plants. In 1994, his newly-acquired home and garden were a blank slate, and, eager to fill it with palms, Carl went to a nursery where a person there advised him to sign up with the PSSC. (One of the reasons was that the person asking would get a free year's membership if he signed up five members. That deal's still on!) Back then the Palm Journal was full of ads for plants for sale, and one was by the late Ralph Velez, who lived nearby in Westminster. Carl raced over to Ralph's place, and purchased what were then a number of strap-leaved seedlings, which didn't stay little for long. A look at the front of Carl's garden (pictured below) shows two towering Livistonas, australis and decipiens, each with 30 feet of trunk, which date from that time. Impressive Pritchardias, Caryota kiriwongensis and Clinostigma harlandii!  Among much else. Among a whole lot else! Sit and gaze a moment, then look closely and you can see the treasures within. And that's just the front! Come visit and see the Jungle Book come to life! 

Alex fell in love with palms on a trip to Hawaii in the 1970s, and thereafter planted a forest of Howea forsteriana at his home.  Alex's palmy horizons expanded dramatically when he saw a 1992 Palm Journal on a counter in a retail nursery, which had a Hedyscepe canturburyiana on the cover. Soon after joining the PSSC, Alex visited Ralph Velez who sold him a Rhopalistylus baueri, his "first uncommon palm" which is "still growing strong." 

Alex took a highly aggressive approach to soil preparation from the beginning. First, he removed the top two feet of compacted clay soil around his then-abuilding house, and replaced it with seven dump trucks full of top soil. Then, in addition to that, he dug a nice big hole around each newly planted palm, and backfilled with cactus mix for extra drainage. When a common palm gets too large, Alex replaces it with a new, rarer one. While he has had, in his words, a "list of failures almost as long as [his] list of successes, his garden is marvelous to behold today. In recent retirement, he looks forward to lavishing more love upon them. The love shows! 

Thanks again to Carl and Alex for hosting us!

POTLUCK LUNCH

There will be a potluck lunch at this meeting. Chicken will be provided, and we urge attendees to bring food they like to share with the rest of us. Salads, fresh fruit, desserts, entrees, all are welcome and all will be consumed and appreciated. If you're not sure, compromise and bring a variety! Grandma's favorite recipe will always be good, whether your "gram" is from Butte, Seoul, or Vienna. 

AUCTION

There will be an auction at this meeting. Donors have a choice of donating 100% of the proceeds to the PSSC (we appreciate that!) or 50% (we appreciate that, too!) The focus is on rare palms, in 1 to 5 gallon containers, though larger ones will be accepted. Also good are nice palm-themed objects d'art, and other exotic plants, including but not limited to, bromeliads, fancy Ficus, etc. We accept credit cards, checks, and good old cash. 

The auction is a vital source of funding for the PSSC, and, since we have a limited time in which to do it, we ask that donors provide plants that will realistically sell for at least $20. Please no Washingtonias, Phoenix canariensis, etc.

ITINERARY

9:30 a.m. PSSC Board meeting at the Hartman garden

10:30 a.m. Tours of the Hartman garden.

11:30 a.m. Adjourn to Kutas Garden

12:00 noon Potluck Lunch

1:00 general meeting

1:30 auction

4:00 adjourn

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here's some pictures of Alex's garden:

Acanthophoenix crinita

1471710367_20200217Acanthophoenixcrinita-1ALEX.thumb.JPG.23e0d2febe8b9b5ec12a777224016ae4.JPG

Dypsis pusilla

1422746020_20200217DypsispusillaALEX.thumb.JPG.044c01d8bb37b0616760126a57cf18f5.JPG

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

And, here's some pictures of Carl's garden:

Jungle Book come life!

DB3F90BF-FB3D-4ABD-BEEF-0DD45E985055.thumb.jpeg.c8a51414f23d711c3425a1eeddd56e63.jpeg8A7E21CA-E68D-4762-8F44-0A0B932ECEB6.thumb.jpeg.f61372274697f3c396034316f273f959.jpeg

So, who's coming?

• 4 weeks later...

By now you've heard of the concerns over Coronavirus.

Our hosts for the meeting say: "FULL SPEED AHEAD!" We ain't callin' off nothin'!

Join us for a good time!

So, who's in?

I AM GRAVELY DISAPPOINTED THAT THE PSSC'S BOARD HAS DECIDED TO CANCEL THE MEETING FOR MARCH 21, 2020, IN HUNTINGTON BEACH.

SO TERRIBLY SORRY.

THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I CAN REMEMBER EVER HAVING THIS TYPE OF THING HAPPEN. HOPEFULLY IT WILL BE THE LAST.

WE WILL GATHER HAPPILY ANOTHER DAY.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or comments.

dave

• Like 2