IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Parajubaea Torallyi vs Butia x ParajubaeaTorallyi, girth?

dub671

Have a number of planted out pure parajubaea torallyis that I placed in anticipation of their ridiculous girth. Anybody happen to know if Butia x Parajubaea Torallyis also get that yuuuuugge? Trying to squeeze it into a 40 inch wide space.....

E.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, dub671 said:

Have a number of planted out pure parajubaea torallyis that I placed in anticipation of their ridiculous girth. Anybody happen to know if Butia x Parajubaea Torallyis also get that yuuuuugge? Trying to squeeze it into a 40 inch wide space.....

E.

you have some of the hyrbids?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Hi DD.

I have four of the regular PJ toryallis planted around the yard. All were 15gallon sizes. I have just one of Patric's B x PJT (was a liner when i got it) that I'm trying to place now that the hardscaping is finally complete. 

The mules, J x S, and B x PJ sunkha are also all finally in the ground. Now if they would just hurry up and grow.

E.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think this is a more recent cross, so I doubt anyone knows. However, judging from the size of Patric's plants in liners, I'd bet the BxPJT are gonna be big. I don't know about yours, but mine are arrived two or three times as wide as BxPJS.

@dub671 I like your taste in palms gonna be a great looking garden one day. With some real statement palms =) JxS being hands down my fav hybrid :yay:

T J 

@necturus - Yeah, figured I'd ask the collective and see if there were lurkers that have had these things in the ground for some time. My BxPJT was a quite a bit thicker as a liner than the BxPJS I received. But the BxPJS went in the ground first (7 months ago and still not pinnate) but has thickened up to nearly the size of the BxPJT. Will just take a chance and put it in the ground and hope it doesn't bust up the hardscaping.

@OC2Texaspalmlvr- The JxS is hands down my FAV by far and is the most money i've spent on a palm! it was a decent sized 7gallon when i received it with a fat base, been in the ground 10 months, and has already put on 2 ft in height! If only dypsis decipiens grew that fast. Trying to fill the yard with monsters.

@dub671 wow a 7g JxS that's awesome but I'm sure a pretty penny haha Definitely well worth it tho imo. Cant wait to see your garden in 5years or so :greenthumb:

T J 

On 2/19/2020 at 9:37 AM, dub671 said:

Hi DD.

I have four of the regular PJ toryallis planted around the yard. All were 15gallon sizes. I have just one of Patric's B x PJT (was a liner when i got it) that I'm trying to place now that the hardscaping is finally complete. 

The mules, J x S, and B x PJ sunkha are also all finally in the ground. Now if they would just hurry up and grow.

E.

I’d plan on anything crossed with Parajubaea tor tor to get huge like 3 feet or1 M across at least 

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 2 years later...

These may be the biggest B xPJT alive, at Patrick’s. Middle picture obviously the left tree not the Trachycarpus Ukhrulensis.  3ft trunk about accurate. Maybe too late Hope you didn’t plant in a 40” inch space they do get huge!

7CBA130A-0BD1-4321-9CDA-AA6957BD7F44.png

4C1BF1CB-1AA2-41BE-9462-41AFB9C8845E.png

B7435BDA-BCB8-4B7E-A820-965BF9B010DC.png

• Like 2

This is interesting. Would these hybrids produce edible fruit like P.Torallyi?

Would they be slower growing or faster?

Would they have increased disease resistance which seems to be the kypronite for PJT in Socal?

3 hours ago, James B said:

This is interesting. Would these hybrids produce edible fruit like P.Torallyi?

Would they be slower growing or faster?

Would they have increased disease resistance which seems to be the kypronite for PJT in Socal?

I’m not sure about the fruit.  They are fast growing although mine are smaller they are fast compared to others. And I would think the resistance would be higher with butia genes and hybrid vigor. I think the real winner is Butia x Parajubaea Sunkha, a colder and wetter natural habitat (higher elevation) I have a 5 ft Sunkha hybrid and it outgrows and stays greens through cold/wet better than many other hybrids. It’s a really nice one. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

On 6/5/2022 at 2:14 PM, NWpalms@206 said:

These may be the biggest B xPJT alive, at Patrick’s. Middle picture obviously the left tree not the Trachycarpus Ukhrulensis.  3ft trunk about accurate. Maybe too late Hope you didn’t plant in a 40” inch space they do get huge!

7CBA130A-0BD1-4321-9CDA-AA6957BD7F44.png

4C1BF1CB-1AA2-41BE-9462-41AFB9C8845E.png

B7435BDA-BCB8-4B7E-A820-965BF9B010DC.png

I was kindly corrected that these palms of Patrick’s are actually BxPJC not PJT. BxPJT actually slightly larger girth than these. Pretty impressive stuff. 

On 6/6/2022 at 7:56 PM, NWpalms@206 said:

I was kindly corrected that these palms of Patrick’s are actually BxPJC not PJT. BxPJT actually slightly larger girth than these. Pretty impressive stuff. 

I was wondering bxpjt is relatively new cross compared to bxpjc. The bxpjc at Dick Douglas’s former house must be huge now, it was close to those pictured probably 10 years ago. (I can’t recall what year he passed of the top of my head)