IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Giant Yarey Palm

KentiaPalm

Copernicia fallaensis

This palm has a lovely flair about it even Martha had to get a screenshot with it!

has anyone had their hands on one or mind sharing some real photos? I want one!

01A600DF-C8D3-4E58-BA07-D2BAC83FDF72.jpeg

8625874C-3A21-4FA2-8609-2C980632F392.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 2/18/2020 at 8:45 PM, KentiaPalm said:

Copernicia fallaensis

This palm has a lovely flair about it even Martha had to get a screenshot with it!

has anyone had their hands on one or mind sharing some real photos? I want one!

I have never heard C fallaensis referred to as a Giant Yarey before.  I was under the impression that C fallaensis and C yarey are different species (C yarey with a couple of forms which includes a "robusta" form).  C fallaensis are tough to come by in California as it is almost exclusively brought here from Florida.  Since they are at a premium there in Florida it is even harder to get them shipped here.  Len, aka LJG on this forum, has a beautiful one out in front of his place in Vista.  I haven't seen any recent photos of it but it was impressive in person last time I saw it.

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

That sounds lovely he should share a photo, their palmate fronds remind me of Jurassic park! I wasn’t aware of the correct genus and species name. It’s going to be difficult bringing all these choice species back to Costa Rica because of their import regulation laws

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tracy said:

I have never heard C fallaensis referred to as a Giant Yarey before.  I was under the impression that C fallaensis and C yarey are different species (C yarey with a couple of forms which includes a "robusta" form).  C fallaensis are tough to come by in California as it is almost exclusively brought here from Florida.  Since they are at a premium there in Florida it is even harder to get them shipped here.  Len, aka LJG on this forum, has a beautiful one out in front of his place in Vista.  I haven't seen any recent photos of it but it was impressive in person last time I saw it.

Len's is doing great.

It's always a treat to see this plant in his yard. A rare plant in Southern California.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

It's always a treat to see this plant in his yard. A rare plant in Southern California.

C fallaensis is imo the most spectacular in the genus that I have seen and it has some other amazing species within the genus.  I always enjoy looking at the pair of C x textilis (aka C baileyana x hospita) which I have growing in my own garden.

13 hours ago, KentiaPalm said:

It’s going to be difficult bringing all these choice species back to Costa Rica because of their import regulation laws

Copernicia is a genus I wouldn't leave out if I were ever to have to start with a new garden.  Even if you can't find any C fallaensis, if you can find someone selling any of the Copernicia's in Costa Rica it will be money well spent.

• Like 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

47 minutes ago, Tracy said:

I always enjoy looking at the pair of C x textilis (aka C baileyana x hospita) which I have growing in my own garden.

Pics please =) 

• Like 1

T J 

Here is my Arizona grown fallaensis from the first batch of seeds RPS made available.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15823001753062641468673710917885.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

These fallaensis seedlings are less than a year old for comparison.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15823005245585211415572466998238.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

I got this one from Ken Johnson in sept 2011, it was one of his expert transplants from a home in the miami area.   I thought it was a tad pricey then,  about 4x more than any palm I have purchased, but now I really appreciate what I have, LOL!  When it was planted, it was ~ 5 years away from trunking and was about 9-10' overall.  Back then they weren't nearly as expensive as they are now.  They probably cost 4x as much now.  This one was beaten up pretty badly by IRMA in 2018 as it was in a fully unprotected windward position.  It saw the strongest continuous wind of any palm I have, no buffering by other trees or the house.  It gets full sun all day, sits in a drainage low spot, and is given a hefty allotment of florikan palm special 180 day controlled release 2-3x a year(probably ~25lb a year total) as the roots extend far from the trunk.  The leaves are in excess of 6'  long without petiole, they do take wind damage in hurricanes as the sharp thorns of newer leaves ripped up the older leaves during 5 hrs of 65-75 mph winds in IRMA.  Its about 90% back now and pushing/opening a bunch of new spears and stands at just a foot or two over 20' tall.  This palm glows/reflects and changes color with the sky as long as its out in the open, not shaded.  Its brooding and pale green/grey on cloudy days like this pic and a powder blue/pale green color when viewed(sun at the viewers back) on sunny days.   Mine was never as deep green as those pictured above.  When it was planted it was elongated from being in too much shade and the crown wasnt so dense, 6 intact leaves and a spear at ~9-10' overall.  It was pale green with a hint of silver, not much cuticle wax.   But as it grew in it started to show nice blue/light green hues under a blue sky and the color you see here under clouds.  Just after the sun goes down, it glows as well, something green palms never do, and bright moonlit nights bring it out, looming in its heightCFfeb2020n2.thumb.jpg.a08d0c84b1fed472f350bb76b279e0c7.jpgCFalla_looking_upfeb2020.thumb.jpg.2ce7ce5ae0e20d11c3ebbe03d0bbd6ad.jpg.   And just before the sun rises over the horizon, it lights up the yard along with my bismarckia.  I love my pinnate palms, but none of them can reflect sun so many colors and color moods and mesmerize with  the moire pattern of leaflets like this palm.  IF I were to start over, this species would be my first choice, followed by C baileyana which is also a gorgeous palm in either blue or green phases.  Crown size is a few feet smaller than bismarckia or sabal causiarum, but it more than makes up for it with its arresting outline and color.  I made sure this palm has nothing too near it to make sure it got plenty of sun and could be seen against the skyline where the color and leaf detail is all the more mesmerizing.   

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

That’s absolutely gorgeous , those palms deserve the spotlight I love the exotic fronds they almost don’t look real

• Like 1

@sonoranfans Hey just throwing this out there but when my family makes the trip to Disneyworld I'm gonna come by your house to see your garden if thats ok Haha 

Your growing soooooo many palms I like =) 

• Like 1

T J 

TJ let me know a week or so ahead of your trip and I will give you directions and a mini tour.  Its a small yard(12000sf), but it has some good specimens of what I do have.  Once again I'd like to thank @Ken Johnson for the fallaense and about ten other specimen palms over the years( kentiopsis O., satakentia, etc).  He taught me a lot about palms and has always delivered outstanding specimens and great advice.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Tom Blank

I googled "Giant Yarey Palm" and C. fallaensis shows up. I googled "Yarey Palm" and C. X textilis appeared as alluded to by Tracy and Palm Tree Jim. C. fallaensis has always been my all time favorite with glimmering fronds that almost hurt your eyes. However the C. X textilis appears to have the same glimmering frond trait. Truly beautiful!

Sonorfans C. fallaensis is astounding! Whatever KJ charged, it had to be the best deal ever. Giant Yarey, C. fallaensis, Yarey or C. X textilis are all amazing. Thank you 

• Upvote 1

What you look for is what is looking

Just to show what I am saying about the changing color of C Fallaensis, we had a sunny morning here is a pic of the bluish tinted tone.  These palms can also be different amounts of blue, depending on the atmospheric filtering of sunlight.  This is true for all "blue/grey" palms to some degree, their color depends on the sun spectrum that passes through the atmosphere.  My bismarckia is very white in full sun/blue sky, and more grey in the cloudy day.  When someone uses artificial light at night it makes palms look much  more white than in sunlight.  So when we post palms on this board, the palms that are bluish in color will look most blue in strong sun blue sky conditions with the sun behind the camera direction.  This leads to more back scattered light from the wax layer of the leaves reaching the lens.  CFfb2020bluesky.thumb.jpg.8d47a714929525931a8a4bcc22672f0f.jpg

• Like 1

Tom Blank

I’m happy for you , it must be nice to come across this thread I’ve posted and to finally be able to show off your garden. They are lovely and I bet the morning dew would make them even more mesmerizing! 

I have posted pics before here, nothing new.  I have been on here since 2007, many current posters are not familiar since they might only be on here for a few years.  They look best in the height of the growing season, when they have the most wax.  I enjoy my palms every day, the yard is my "happy place"!  

• Like 1

Tom Blank