KentiaPalm

My vent about one of most hated palms

branislav

I understand neither the idea of starting a topic about palms one dislikes (what's the point aside from eliciting agreement/disagreement? it's not like someone here will change your mind) nor taking offense at someone else's tastes (how is that even a thing -- they like/dislike something, and that's the end of story; it's not like you're going to change their tastes by posting a few photos).

... I do agree with Tracy on the monocarpic palms: I have one Caryota (a leftover from previous owner) that is planted so close to the house in a very inaccessible area, and I am dreading the day it flowers... although I am loving the large leaves right now. I also planted only one Arenga before I knew that it also dies although at least in that case I will still have the remaining stems. I so wish the gigantic Caryotas lived longer here.

Jeff985

@KentiaPalm dislikes a common, and therefore obviously popular palm (dypsis decaryi). The point of the thread was to see if he was alone in feeling this way. Not to insult anyone. I also don’t believe he did insult anyone. @Tracy posted a comment that he said was a joke, which is how I perceived it, but apparently some people on here didn’t, because like @James B said when reading someone’s comments it’s difficult to pick up tone and expression.  I understand that because there are a few palms that other people on this site rave about that I don’t care for. CIDP for example. I’m not saying anything bad about them or the people who grow them. Their just not my taste. That shouldn’t insult anyone. I’m clearly in the minority there. A lot of people strongly dislike queens. I like them. They’re cheap, readily available, and provide a tropical look to any landscape. I’m not offended when people say they don’t like queens. It’s important to remember that everyone is entitled to their opinion as long as it matches mine. Now, can we just let this thread die already?

• Like 2

Mr.SamuraiSword
On 2/23/2020 at 12:07 PM, KentiaPalm said:

I have to say some aren’t really mine either.

But I expect any minute we will get some emotional people who will need to get their 2 cents worth in. 

Caryota obtusa is my favourite it’s so big! 

028E9A24-503B-4854-9B57-B9FF52527511.jpeg

Ok that one is amazing.  Usually when i see Caryota they are poorly maintained and ive never seen one that nice. 

Mr.SamuraiSword

I think Triangles tend to look bad especially in Florida but ive seen a few that were maintained nicely. Still way down the list for me. 

PhilippineExpat

I rather like dypsis decaryi, but I am not a fan of ravenala madagascariensis. It's like a triangle palm, but with banana leaves which are always shredded up. These are pretty common in the Philippines. That said, I loved it the first time I saw it because it is such an unusual looking tree for someone like me who grew up in cold places.

Image result for traveler's palm

Edited by PhilippineExpat
  • Like 1