IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My vent about one of most hated palms

KentiaPalm

Oh wow, that’s cool I’ve seen lots of Phoenix  roebellani have multiple crowns also. I wonder if palms ever fasciate ?

9 hours ago, James B said:

Jim I would add I do find Bismarckia to be attractive due to its color and to a lesser degree Chamaerops. Overall though fan palms are not my cup of tea.

I love Pritchardia, Bismarckia, certain Livistona and Brahea species as well as a few others but admit to having way more pinnate species in my yard than palmate. 

• Like 3

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

59 minutes ago, greysrigging said:

It's at least 25 years old....then commenced a double head ?

I actually dont dislike your palm at all. Well grown and yet still looks very natural B)

• Like 1

T J 

Whoever the city hired to trim this Washingtonia must not like them - I haven't seen one hacked this badly before!  At least they left the spear intact on the second one.  These are near my work and will look pretty stupid for a while before they recover.  Maybe they thought it was a crape myrtle?

IMG_20200221_122456.jpg

IMG_20200221_122515.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Jon Sunder

1 hour ago, Fusca said:

Whoever the city hired to trim this Washingtonia must not like them - I haven't seen one hacked this badly before!  At least they left the spear intact on the second one.  These are near my work and will look pretty stupid for a while before they recover.  Maybe they thought it was a crape myrtle?

IMG_20200221_122456.jpg

IMG_20200221_122515.jpg

Now that’s a beautiful palm. It’s nice to see Edward scissorhands is still finding work though. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Here’s the triangle palm at the erstwhile Hooper garden 

23D706FB-2A09-4401-A835-C0196B1FFCFA.thumb.jpeg.fead556db4a7b8e7abf55ec88ea51104.jpeg

• Like 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I've killed all my triangle palms!

URK!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 2/18/2020 at 5:19 PM, KentiaPalm said:

Triangle Palms (Dypsis Decaryi) is hideous.

It looks like it came off the side of a dirt road covered in dust suffering from a fungal disease on it’s mutated/bludgeoned crownshaft.

I prefer my Bismarckias and Archontophoenix thank you

Here you go, another hideous Dypsis trunk for you.

20200212-104A5599.jpg

• Like 12
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Omg Tracy you have it out for me , get over it I hate dypsis end of discussion :rant::P .

there you got a reaction . Everyone’s entitled to opinions , I don’t call people out for it multiple times

Edited by KentiaPalm

9 hours ago, Tracy said:

20200212-104A5599.jpg

I’m going to barf. Dig it up. You can plant it in my yard so I can be sick every day. It will be good for me to lose a few lbs. 

• Like 3

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

9 hours ago, Tracy said:

20200212-104A5599.jpg

All kidding aside can we get the full shot. She looks like a beauty 

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

7 hours ago, KentiaPalm said:

Omg Tracy you have it out for me , get over it I hate dypsis end of discussion :rant::P .

there you got a reaction . Everyone’s entitled to opinions , I don’t call people out for it multiple times

You can have your own opinions but your never allowed to hate dypsis. I think that’s one of the term of agreement when you sign up for Palmtalk btw. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

1 minute ago, KentiaPalm said:

That’s fine Steve , thanks for your awesome opinion. 

:P 

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

23 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

I've killed all my triangle palms!

URK!

My next door neighbor planted some small ones in his front yard near my property last week, should I go kill them now while it's easy?

• Like 1

Yes dypsis Decaryi‘s only.

Other species of dypsis are lovely just Decaryi is hideous .

Let’s not state how non observant some people can be.  

Edited by KentiaPalm

3 hours ago, NOT A TA said:

My next door neighbor planted some small ones in his front yard near my property last week, should I go kill them now while it's easy?

But are you crazy? Or are you kidding?

De gustibus non est disputandum (about tastes, it should not be disputed).

Regards,

Pietro Puccio

In my backyard I currently have a double L. Chinensis and a young W. Robusta. These two are probably my favorite fan palms, but I’m aware of washie’s reputation lol. 

The rest are c. Nucifera and a queen who is looking very nicely although it has been the slowest grower. Many times I’ve thought about taking out the washie and queen just based on what I read on here but every time I’m about to do so, I just stop myself because I’m really liking them as of now. 

• Upvote 1

What you grow and what anyone else grows is entirely up to you Jocam019. If you personally don’t like them then be my guest. This topic originated on dypsis Decaryi .

fan palms are beautiful and the landscape wouldn’t be the same without them.

“ just based on what I read on here but every time I’m about to do so, I just stop myself because I’m really liking them as of now”

Listen to yourself and tell me this sounds normal

We are all passionate about plants and nobodies opinions on a particular species should upset anyone.

just grow what’s inspiring to you , even if it is a Decaryi 

1 hour ago, Jocam019 said:
Edited by KentiaPalm
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, pietropuccio said:

But are you crazy? Or are you kidding?

De gustibus non est disputandum (about tastes, it should not be disputed).

Both!!!! ahahaha

1 hour ago, Jocam019 said:

In my backyard I currently have a double L. Chinensis and a young W. Robusta. These two are probably my favorite fan palms, but I’m aware of washie’s reputation lol. 

The rest are c. Nucifera and a queen who is looking very nicely although it has been the slowest grower. Many times I’ve thought about taking out the washie and queen just based on what I read on here but every time I’m about to do so, I just stop myself because I’m really liking them as of now. 

As long as you like them, keep them. Personally I like queens. I have 11 of them. 

• Upvote 1

I dont hate any palms.  Its all about choices and what your preferences are and those can change.  I used to think washie robustas bright green was wonderful when I lived in the desert, so green so vibrant compared to most everything else.  then they grew so tall in 7 years I couldn't see their green, just the trunks.  At that point they werent so attractive when you stand under them.  At a distance they still define my memories of 3 years in orange county CA.   I also have the memories of lots of them being overtrimmed and I do hate that. I like them in public plantings in CA, but I dont want them in my yard, I dont want to pay a guy to trim them with a bucket truck($$$).  that is a repeating cost that I don't want to afford.  3 trims is the initial cost of two dozen palms in my yard.

• Like 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

23 hours ago, Shiveringtropicals said:

Looks like they're bottlenecking already, so sad:(

Speaking of being hacked to death....

20200207_102330.jpg

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

Speaking of being hacked to death....

20200207_102330.jpg

It should be a crime to treat palms like that.:rant:

17 minutes ago, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

Fishtail palms are my least favorite, sue me

I have to say some aren’t really mine either.

But I expect any minute we will get some emotional people who will need to get their 2 cents worth in. 

Caryota obtusa is my favourite it’s so big! 

028E9A24-503B-4854-9B57-B9FF52527511.jpeg

• Like 2

22 hours ago, KentiaPalm said:

Omg Tracy you have it out for me , get over it I hate dypsis end of discussion :rant::P

I apologize, the Dypsis prestoniana post was intended as humor not to bully you.

32 minutes ago, KentiaPalm said:

I have to say some aren’t really mine either.

But I expect any minute we will get some emotional people who will need to get their 2 cents worth in. 

Caryota obtusa is my favourite it’s so big! 

The clumping variety have less appeal than the solitary in my opinion.  Caryota gigas is my wife's favorite palm.  My only complaint is the work to remove them after they flower.  Between that and the Bismarkia in our Carlsbad backyard, very few people visiting the house can get past those two palms to see all the other interesting palms and other plants.  I declined to plant any of the large species Caryota in the new house both because of space they demand and that they have the limited lifespan.  A few months ago I posted the removal of my Caryota that I acquired as C no, but turned out to be urens or another species.  It flowered in less than a decade from a 5 gallon plant.

15 hours ago, Stevetoad said:

All kidding aside can we get the full shot. She looks like a beauty 

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/51742-dypsis-prestoniana-variations/

Old and current photos of the Dypsis prestoniana over in this link for you Steve.

This thread is pointless it started on a negative topic.  Palmtalk is a place for people worldwide that have a passion for growing all palms so why go out of your way to offend anyone. This post has become very counterproductive .this is not Facebook. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, akamu said:

This thread is pointless it started on a negative topic.  Palmtalk is a place for people worldwide that have a passion for growing all palms so why go out of your way to offend anyone. This post has become very counterproductive .this is not Facebook. 

Oh my goodness. I'm sorry if your sensitivities were hurt or "offended" as you mentioned.

No one here is offending anybody. This as most threads, is subjective. In your mind switch "hated" for "disliked" from the thread's subject.

See?

Everything's fine.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

I peacefully agree with akamu’s opinion on the bouts of unnecessary disagreements and the use of some words like “hate” . I apologize for that.

in the meantime I will continue whatever discussion I wish to continue without negativity and control from others .

unfortunately some people were offended by my opinion by not liking Dypsis decaryi.

once other fellow passionate palm growers started to voice their freedom of speech it evolved into not liking fan palms, and disagreements and some went as far as saying they don’t like certain genus’s and even leaf shapes! 

in my opinion that’s the ugly part of what makes us all unique get over yourself.

-Wayne (amateur non ips member) 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Oh my goodness. I'm sorry if your sensitivities were hurt or "offended" as you mentioned.

No one here is offending anybody. This as most threads, is subjective. In your mind switch "hated" for "disliked" from the thread's subject.

See?

Everything's fine.

I think what’s hard for everyone is it’s always difficult to determine tone in a post vs an actual conversation. I would assume for the most part palm lovers are a more eccentric group of people so I myself was surprised at some of the posts where it seemed like the poster was personally upset that myself or any of the other posters voiced their opinion that they did not like a particular palm. I agree hate is a strong word. I don’t “hate” any palms. In fact I respect them all as they have evolved in their respective climates to survive. I’m never going to say I find Washingtonia  attractive but I respect that it is tough as nails and grows like a weed here in inland CA. I have to pull up volunteers several times a year that sprouted from a seed dropped by a bird. They will grow with no water, fertilizer, mulch...no supplemental help whatsoever and that is awesome. But I don’t want them in my garden that’s my preference. It’s my garden just like for every member here it’s their garden. Plant what you want. But there should not be “rules” around having to find all palms attractive. I respect everyone’s opinion here. Most members here are more experienced and far more knowledgeable than myself on palms and I enjoy learning from all of them. So none of my posts were intended to offend anyone and I hope they did not. Personally I think it’s better that members on this forum don’t agree on everything, it’s more engaging when people have different viewpoints and opinions. I always keep an open mind. And after reflecting on some of the other posts I am now considering adding some fan palms to my garden to add aesthetic variation when the garden is viewed as a whole vs it’s individual parts. I have been so focused on planting the palms I find the most attractive individually that I didn’t take time to step back and reflect on what a few fan palms could do beneficially for the overall look of things.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, KentiaPalm said:

unfortunately some people were offended by my opinion by not liking Dypsis decaryi.

once other fellow passionate palm growers started to voice their freedom of speech it evolved into not liking fan palms, and disagreements and some went as far as saying they don’t like certain genus’s and even leaf shapes! 

It's all tongue in cheek :P

Good thing you only "hate" one species of Dypsis...god forbid you hate the whole genus :laugh2:

• Like 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Maybe we should have another discussion about climate change? That outa cheer everyone up & keep this thread positively entertaining. :P

• Like 1

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.

That's what Mum always used to say.

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

3 hours ago, James760 said:

Maybe we should have another discussion about climate change? That outa cheer everyone up & keep this thread positively entertaining. :P

Wait.... haven't we had one of these ^^ already ?...lol
Bring it on again !....haha

If D. decaryi were rare we would all want one because of how unique they are, common palms just get a bad rap because they are common.

I don't think that it at all.  Some palm growers want the rare stuff, others like me just want what can be grown well to improve the environment of their garden.  For example royals are certainly not rare in florida, and neither are bismarckia but they are both quite popular.   Its hard to believe all the reaction to the misuse of the word "hate".  People are far too sensitive to simple words as if they are looking to be a victim of what someone else says.  We don't need to all like the same palms, but the idea of an "I hate this palm thread" seems to be out of place on a palm lovers board.  This is a very mild cordial board by internet standards and the moderator makes sure that is so.  

• Like 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank