Sign in to follow this  
Johnny Palmseed

Pseudophoenix Sargentii Seeds

Johnny Palmseed

I had hoped to trade some seeds but I can’t seem to post on the trade section. I am looking for Arch. Cunninghamiana, Howea Forsteriana, Dictyosperma Album, Dypsis Leptocheilos, Cham. Macrocarpa. I will also be glad to send seeds for free in the continental US.
Disclaimer - I have never attempted to germinate seeds from this plant. I have no idea how they will do. The mother is approximately 15-18 years old and has what I consider to be a wide base with a pronounced taper. It has shrugged off several category 2 and 3 hurricanes without losing a single frond.

Thanks 

John

CCB3E78D-CC11-49E1-A32E-5FDB7B2E40A1.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

jimmyt

Nice one!  Cant say I have any of those seeds that you are looking for.

Johnny Palmseed

All gone now.

Tortuga

I'm glad that I was able to get my hands on some of these seeds to try and propagate something that's not so common, or at least something that I would consider not so common out in California.  

I don't consider myself an expert at growing things but I'm trying things out to see what works and what doesn't,  at least for me and the plant of course.  I've killed many things using the baggie and sphagnum moss method so needless to say that I'm not a very big fan of that style or at least I haven't figured it out completely.

This time around it was a bit different.  I gave the baggie method one last try and had great success with it this time around with these Pseudophoenix Sargentii seeds that John traded with me.

The sphagnum moss that I was used to using was the type that you buy at the big box stores which seemed to be junk.  Now I had received some plants from Florida from someone else and they had used some moss that seemed to be what I would consider high quality moss so I decided to recycle it and and I use them on these Pseudophoenix seeds.  

I broke the outer shell of these seeds and soaked the seeds for a couple of days.  I put most of the seeds in the baggie and a few in a pot with some soil back in March once I received them.  The baggie seeds I threw on top of my cable box to keep them warm in a temp control environment.  The pot went outside in shady area which gets some morning sun.  In my neck of the woods the temps during this time reached some high 30's at night and into the 80's during the day, every week was a different story.

In April I was shocked to see some sprouts from the baggie method, but no sprouts in the pot.  

In May my wife was nagging to get rid of the baggie off the cable box since she's a bit of a neat freak.   I pulled 5 of the sprouts out to put them in liners cause I felt as though they were big enough and the rest went on top of a heat mat in the garage.  In May we experienced a bit of a heat spell that got into the 90's and when I remembered that I had seeds in an uncontrolled garage so went the seeds.  I would say that the seeds experienced heat in excess of 100 degrees.  Needless to say the seeds got fried, lesson learned.  

Now from a viability perspective I decided to count all the seeds that had sprouted from the baggie method and it was clear to me that 90% of them had sprouted.  The ones in the pot were goners.  It was a bit too cold for them to take.  So John I just wanted to say thanks for these great seeds and I hope I can get a few more from you next time around.  Here's a pic from the ones growing in liners.  

6D40CADE-26B4-49FB-8A71-8F521EDE8229.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Johnny Palmseed

Thanks for the kind words. I too am very happy with the trade. Hopefully you will have some nice “West Coast Buccaneers” in a few years.

• Like 1